The Student Room Group

Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

I've recently been dating this guy. He's really charming and interesting and I quite like him but there's one thing about him that I'm not sure about. I'm 20 and he's 26 and he still lives in his mum's house.

When I asked him about it he said that he earns enough to rent a place of his own but he chooses not to. This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

He doesn't really come across as a mummy's boy but not really sure what to think? Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

Scroll to see replies

I am 28 and still live with mine I don;t know why girls have such a problem with it
Yes. Only if he is intending to move out at some point. I don't like the idea of moving in with him and his mum if things get serious years down the line. Your guys mentality leads me to think he doesn't mind living at home forever -each to their own.

I mean I've dated guys that are 28-30 and live at home. One was still studying full-time so he was in no rush to move out and lived with his mum and grandad. My current guy lived at home with his mum but he was paying the mortgage. He was looking into buying another property but his mum moved elsewhere and she comes to stay sometimes. I live at home and for the time being it works for me. I contribute to my household and so on. My mum doesn't mind me being here and we get on great. I'm working towards getting my own place in the near future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kathy127
I've recently been dating this guy. He's really charming and interesting and I quite like him but there's one thing about him that I'm not sure about. I'm 20 and he's 26 and he still lives in his mum's house.

When I asked him about it he said that he earns enough to rent a place of his own but he chooses not to. This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

He doesn't really come across as a mummy's boy but not really sure what to think? Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

eh not a big deal. I have relatives who lived at home till 25 and they turned out ok. As long as he's not a mamas boy it's ok. I think 30 is about the limit though.. (for living with your parents).
Makes sense to live at home since if you're not paying the bills, any income you earn is arguably disposable income. However, it's surprising that at his age, he doesn't at least pay some rent or some kind of money towards the family shopping or any bills etc.? You should just ask him what his ambitions are and when he does think he's likely to move out and get a place of his own.

I'm 18 and I'd love to get my own place as soon as possible, the thought of being independent and the idea of working for your own roof, food and clothes appeals to me; but to an extent I can understand his view.
Reply 5
Yeah as long as he plans to move out, or if he's saving his money to buy his own home instead of renting.
Probably not. It's not that he lives at home at that age, it's that he pays no rent! What a cheek! I wouldn't get away with it, that's for sure :smile:
Reply 7
Yes I would date him but only if he was willing to move out if/when we became serious through time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
What's wrong with that?

I know a teacher who still lives in his mum's house for thirty-two years now!
Original post by karl pilkington
I am 28 and still live with mine I don;t know why girls have such a problem with it

Oi alright so like if you never lived on your own and you're that age, then that's pretty eee. But if it's circumstantial and you're educated and not bumming off your folks, then it's understandable. Not ideal, just understandable. That's what parents are for. Ignore these new age people who want you to move out on the whim, get the dole, and chase cars.
Original post by Mary562
What's wrong with that?

I know a teacher who still lives in his mum's house for thirty-two years now!

+!. you know how many professors I have in erm...far less than ideal living situations? :biggrin:
Original post by Kathy127
This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

I think that is a completely legitimate reason. Maybe stop judging him on it? I don't see the problem with it.
Sounds like a smart guy.

Don't understand why anyone would rather live alone paying rent than with people they love and for free. If he has a good relationship with his family and they're willing to let him do it then it's win win! Nothing to do with ambition, maybe he's saving the money to start his own business, never know!
if i could i'd live with my parents forever

lived out for first year of uni and hated it
Just cos a guy lives with his parents doesn't mean he's unambitious? He's actually pretty clever if he uses all the money he saves from not paying loads of rent for a decent deposit on a mortgage.

I can see where you're coming from though if you were dating him as you guys would want your own space and your own flat. I'd only move in with someone if I was in a serious relationship with them
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.
Of course I would.
Original post by AvaAdore
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

How comes? Genuinely curious.
Reply 18
Don't see why it would be a big issue for girls. That's really shallow if they won't go out with someone because of that.
What's wrong with people living with their parents at ANY age? I never understood this question. If he has a job and contributes to the bills then there is nothing wrong with him living with his mom. It's his family after all...I guess it's embarrassing to live with your family or to even like them these days.:colonhash:

Now if he was some loser who's never had a job and mommy is doing his laundry and cleans his room and pays for his cinema tickets then that would be embarrassing but that is obviously not the case.

He sounds like he has a legit reason to live at home as well, why would he rent his own place? Just to throw away money so he can seem 'cool' because he is 'independent'? LOL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending