The Student Room Group

Relationship has ruined a friendship I really valued

I was worried about dating a guy who I've known for years as I didn't want to wreck the connection we had. We were not really friends but we worked out together sometimes and he has taught me a lot in life. I had a crush on him and he asked me out. I didn't know whether to go ahead with it because I didn't want to ruin what we had, I mean I heard that most people said ex's can't be friends. I told him that basically I would rather stay friends. I would rather him of found another relationship and I just wanted to be his friend. So we were friends for a few weeks and then he said that it was time he backed off, after a chat I decided to go out with him. When going out with him I mentioned that the only problem with relationships is that they ruin friendships and he said that he still stayed in contact with some of his ex's so I was a little reassured.

Anyway, it turns out we are not very compatabal as a couple we both want different things. It's hard to let him go though only because he said that if we break up he wouldn't want to see me again.

That last bit just breaks my heart so I kind of feel trapped. I'm jelous of his male friends who can just be his friends, talk to him and see him now and again without having to have a relationship! I'm also jelous that the other people in my social group will get to talk to him and he will be closer to them as a friend than me because I will have the label 'ex'. I knew this would happen, just wanted advice.

Scroll to see replies

What did you expect when you had thoughts like that from the very beginning? Its like setting it up to fail. Your fault. You forced it to happen.
Original post by Anonymous
I was worried about dating a guy who I've known for years as I didn't want to wreck the connection we had. We were not really friends but we worked out together sometimes and he has taught me a lot in life. I had a crush on him and he asked me out. I didn't know whether to go ahead with it because I didn't want to ruin what we had, I mean I heard that most people said ex's can't be friends. I told him that basically I would rather stay friends. I would rather him of found another relationship and I just wanted to be his friend. So we were friends for a few weeks and then he said that it was time he backed off, after a chat I decided to go out with him. When going out with him I mentioned that the only problem with relationships is that they ruin friendships and he said that he still stayed in contact with some of his ex's so I was a little reassured.

Anyway, it turns out we are not very compatabal as a couple we both want different things. It's hard to let him go though only because he said that if we break up he wouldn't want to see me again.

That last bit just breaks my heart so I kind of feel trapped. I'm jelous of his male friends who can just be his friends, talk to him and see him now and again without having to have a relationship! I'm also jelous that the other people in my social group will get to talk to him and he will be closer to them as a friend than me because I will have the label 'ex'. I knew this would happen, just wanted advice.

Firstly I hear what your say and The fact that he wouldn't see you that's manipulation and that's wrong.
Secondly you can be friends after a relationship and beforehand I am friends with a guy I dated 5 years ago and after we split up we had sex three times and then that was it that was 3 and a half years ago and we are still great mates have a takeaway every other week go to town have a laugh he cares about me as a friend and likewise together we were not compatible but as friends we are he is truly my best friend and he knows me inside and out but he guides me through problems and is a great support to me and it's not sexual on the slightest.... Sometimes being friends is worth more and if had had my chance again I'd never have gone there

Thirdly he said he needed to back off when you were friends again that's manipulating you into agreeing to a relationship and now he's like you break up with me I'll never talk to you again

Sweet heart run for the hills he clearly is a closet psychopath (not really but he's definitely passive aggressive) cut your losses better now than in 6 years when you realise what an arse wipe he really is

Chin up your worth more never settle for less than your worth

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sam Walters
What did you expect when you had thoughts like that from the very beginning? Its like setting it up to fail. Your fault. You forced it to happen.

He said I need to back off there for forcing her into a position she really didn't want to be in she said she wanted to be friends so he started acting like a douche and manipulated her by threatening to walk away his fault whole heartedly but as a man you would probably just stick to bros before hoes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

My fault is to want a friendship, he set up the relationship I followed through and agreed, that was my fault.
Original post by vickie89uk
He said I need to back off there for forcing her into a position she really didn't want to be in she said she wanted to be friends so he started acting like a douche and manipulated her by threatening to walk away his fault whole heartedly but as a man you would probably just stick to bros before hoes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Flip side of the coin here. Perhaps he wanted to back off so he didn't get emotionally involved because he didn't want to get hurt. By spending time with someone you like it happens. Regardless of it you under the premise of friends or not.

Ever thought of that?

Nope. Because you have a pre conceived idea of his emotions.
Reply 6
By the way, the guys a nice man deep down he has taught me loads and changed my outlook on life over the past 8 years he got me to lose weight/helped me get fit that's the reason I want his friendship and would like to support him as a friend. I care too much about him to 'never see him again' as he said he wanted :/
My fault is to want a friendship, he set up the relationship I followed through and agreed, that was my fault.

Doesn't sound like you were in a relationship to me. Sounds like you went on a few dates and that's about it.
Reply 8
Flip side of the coin here. Perhaps he wanted to back off so he didn't get emotionally involved because he didn't want to get hurt. By spending time with someone you like it happens. Regardless of it you under the premise of friends or not.

Ever thought of that?

That's what he said, that he had developed feelings for me. I do like him but I was wanted to manage my feelings, let him have some other relationship and for me to just keep his friendship even if I only saw him a few times a year. I thought emotions/feelings could be managed I was willing to manage mine.
Lol youre getting used and played.

Why be friends with someone who doesnt wabt to be ur friend?
Sounds like he bullied you into having a relationship and is bullying you into staying, this whole 'i'm backing off or 'if we break up I can't see you again' is a form of blackmail and his either not very nice or has emotional issues.
Doesn't sound like you were in a relationship to me. Sounds like you went on a few dates and that's about it.

Nah that's wrong the relationship was for months.

Ever thought of that?

Nope I see that but now he's saying you break up with me I won't talk to you again so that to me is the same as before he uses words to trick her into thinking I must do this I mustn't do that I actually think men generally mean what they say but some are sneaky and the fact im vastly approaching 30 ive seen my fair share of this dirtbag behaviour I believe she may have been vulnerable (he taught me a lot) and he knew he could manipulate her not every man is like this but a man said that to me is open the door and say see ya

Simple not pre-conceived its called life experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChickenMadness
Lol youre getting used and played.

Why be friends with someone who doesnt wabt to be ur friend?

Read post 7, I don't know why but I just have a soft spot for him.
Original post by eskimo_rising
Sounds like he bullied you into having a relationship and is bullying you into staying, this whole 'i'm backing off or 'if we break up I can't see you again' is a form of blackmail and his either not very nice or has emotional issues.

Thank you that's what I said and Sam says I have pre conceived issues well three people are saying the same

He manipulated her and now he's doing it again id kick his butt to next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah that's wrong the relationship was for months.

Lol he doesnt care about you. If he did hed havr no problen with being your friend. Hes basicaly saying "keep sucking my dick or im gone"
By the way, the guys a nice man deep down he has taught me loads and changed my outlook on life over the past 8 years he got me to lose weight/helped me get fit that's the reason I want his friendship and would like to support him as a friend. I care too much about him to 'never see him again' as he said he wanted :/

Oh sweetie do you not see he didn't do that for you he did it for himself he knew you'd look up to him and trust him then when you were fit and pretty and all he pursued you and manipulated you and now you have found yourself and your confidence he's manipulating you into thinking you can't guide yourself through this on your own.

Honestly ive written posts like this so many times during a 4 year relationship and everyone told me what he was doing and I didn't wanna listen ultimately im 26 and single and never been happier I greatly regret being blind to it

Take the beer goggles if hun your worth more than that manipulating specimen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vickie89uk
Thank you that's what I said and Sam says I have pre conceived issues well three people are saying the same

He manipulated her and now he's doing it again id kick his butt to next week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly smells of mind games to me.

If he doesn't want to get hurt then he needs to talk it through and be mature in keeping the relationship on track not having the equivalent to a toddler tandrum.

It's kind of irrelevant anyway, reading into this [and i might be wrong] it sounds like both the relationship and friendship are unsalvageable at this point.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Lol he doesnt care about you. If he did hed havr no problen with being your friend. Hes basicaly saying "keep sucking my dick or im gone"

😂😂👏 I agree with this statement OP show him you don't need him you need to aim higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eskimo_rising
Certainly smells of mind games to me.

If he doesn't want to get hurt then he needs to talk it through and be mature in keeping the relationship on track not having the equivalent to a toddler tandrum.

It's kind of irrelevant anyway, reading into this [and i might be wrong] it sounds like both the relationship and friendship are unsalvageable at this point.

I agree sad but sometimes you have to cut your losses and this may been one loss the OP has to accept.

Unfortunate but in a few months you'll realise that it was just petty he doesn't give a **** about you your a pawn in his game of chess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending