The Student Room Group

COWA Access to Medicine 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AliceLouisee
14th of August! Good luck! Have you made a start on your personal statement?

Yeah I have a first draft but just started work as a carer so need to add that in, have you started ? Can send you a copy of mine if you like ? Good luck to you too,
That's awesome! Are you enjoying it? Yeah I've made a start! Yes we could exchange!
Reply 42
Original post by yalii19
I have experience but this was a few years ago. I should probably explain myself better :biggrin: I think I'm probably one of the younger ones. I'm just about to be 21. I did okay on GCSE about 5 years ago getting all A*\A\B.. Then started AS where I got BCD in psych bio chem respectively.. Due to some difficult situations I wasn't able to complete a2.. Started working and have been doing so fit the past 2/3 years. Now last September I went back to try and complete levels but due to the massive break in between I redid AS this June. But I can't continue to do A2 due to my age and again the some complications.. All the colleges around my area only do vocational courses and btecs apart from some schools that teach alevels.. But again I can't go because of my age.

This is the reason I'm looking into access to med courses. I'm very much hoping to get a lot more experience under my belt this summer before I start the course (that's only if I get in in the first place)

I support myself too and there aren't any loans in place for people under 24 and over 18 (EEEEK) but against all odds.. I reaaaallly want to do this! I would love to do a2 somewhere if I could but I can't :/

Hey! We are in the same boat-except I'm 20!! I'm in the course due to start on 7/9
Reply 43
I've just finished the access to medicine course at CWA if anyone has any questions!!
Original post by onyx_87
I've just finished the access to medicine course at CWA if anyone has any questions!!

Hi.

What will/are you studying at university?
Reply 45
Original post by junedfile
Hi.

I've got a place at medical school. Starting this September!
Reply 46
Original post by onyx_87

Any tips for a pre-dental 20 year old?

Did anyone get into dentistry in your year?
How was the year in terms of difficulty?
What was your UKCAT?

Sorry, i have a ton of questions but I don't want to scare you!
haha :/
Reply 47
Original post by spv
Any tips for a pre-dental 20 year old?

Did anyone get into dentistry in your year?
How was the year in terms of difficulty?
What was your UKCAT?

Sorry, i have a ton of questions but I don't want to scare you!
haha :/

Haha that's ok, I've had a few PM's already. Feel free to send me PM if you have more questions!

I'm not aware of anyone applying to dentistry out of our year actually! But I believe they have had dentistry students who have been successful in the past. A lot of students had interviews and probably a third got offers.

The year is tough, there's no getting away from that. There is a lot of work to cover in 10 months. However, if you are self-motivated and work hard then you will be fine. The key is putting the hours in outside of classes and using time productively to your advantage to get ahead. For me I found it difficult in the beginning as I'm 27 and have been out of formal education for a long time, so you may find it easier to adjust to! I would definitely recommend refreshing your knowledge of GCSE sciences and maths before the course starts as there isn't time for the tutors to cover the basics. I don't recommend doing paid work whilst you are on the course as it definitely is full on. I had to give up part-time work 2 months into the course, and also I chose to move to Kings Lynn during the week and would go home at weekends. Be prepared to make sacrifices! I didn't see a lot of my friends apart from holiday periods etc, as I did have a lot of study to do. This is difficult, but when you have the grades you can spend all summer doing what you want!! ;-)

I can't remember UKCAT scores off the top of my head, but I scored fairly average. Uni's use this differently, and it certainly isn't the be all and end all. When you get your score you need to be smart at where you apply! i.e. there is no point applying to a uni where they have a high threshold score if you scored fairly average/low!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Got my UKCAT results today 2450 band 1,
Anyone else got there's yet ?
Reply 49
Original post by PETE3546
Got my UKCAT results today 2450 band 1,
Anyone else got there's yet ?

Are you applying for medicine or dentistry? Mine is on the 28th, but im thinking of pushing it.... ? :/
Reply 50
I'm applying to medicine and you ?
I'd say get it out they way :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by PETE3546
I'm applying to medicine and you ?
I'd say get it out they way :smile:

Dentistry. I'm just starting my proper studying now, and I don't think 11 days is enough!
Starting Access to Humanities this September, applied to do the evening option but likely to be swapping to daytime. If I take a packed lunch, is there anywhere indoors that I'd be allowed to eat it? Guessing that the refectory & the Costa Coffee in the tower won't and it looks as though the room which was the student union is gone. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.
Reply 53
Original post by Cate1976
Starting Access to Humanities this September, applied to do the evening option but likely to be swapping to daytime. If I take a packed lunch, is there anywhere indoors that I'd be allowed to eat it? Guessing that the refectory & the Costa Coffee in the tower won't and it looks as though the room which was the student union is gone. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Hi Cate
You are able to eat a packed lunch in the canteen area in the tower block and in Costa! My friends and I did everyday, and there were never any problems!
Good luck with your course!
Original post by onyx_87
Hi Cate
You are able to eat a packed lunch in the canteen area in the tower block and in Costa! My friends and I did everyday, and there were never any problems!
Good luck with your course!

Thanks for this, glad I can eat my lunch in Costa. I'll be able to have lunch with a coffee bought from Costa. I love good coffee.
Reply 55
Original post by Cate1976
Thanks for this, glad I can eat my lunch in Costa. I'll be able to have lunch with a coffee bought from Costa. I love good coffee.

No worries! Yeah agreed, you need a bit of caffeine to power you through the day!! They also do nice cakes! Enjoy :-)
Reply 56
Will I see any of you guys on the 24th to enroll? I'm super excited and being the try-hard that I am, want to see if anyone wants to start setting up study groups and stuff- so we can study together and learn/study/"suffer" together! :P
I tried to enroll yesterday, but its password protected, it looks as though you can't do it till 10am on Monday.
I can answer this if you want I am going into third year in September
Original post by junedfile
Hi.

Reply 59
Anyone else ready to start A2M school on 7/9?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending