The Student Room Group

Camp America 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowystarks
How long does it take to get used to the camp? It's only my first day, I know, but I'm really struggling.

It took me about a week to settle in completely. This was mainly because the usual campers and staff are like a close knit village at times. Don't be tempted to spend too much time with other international staff. :smile:
How long does it take to get used to the camp? It's only my first day, I know, but I'm really struggling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a massive culture change but definitely speak to as many different people as you can and just throw yourself into everything. As cliche as it sounds, the more you put in, the more you get out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: Hang in there - it'll get better!!
Original post by smileitsjess
It's a massive culture change but definitely speak to as many different people as you can and just throw yourself into everything. As cliche as it sounds, the more you put in, the more you get out.

Thanks. I applied for a secretary but came late so no training, and my job involves 'leadership' which means training others etc. as I have social anxiety my nerves and worries are so bad right now. I haven't told them about it, I didn't think leadership was part of the job. It's only 4pm here but my day has been unbearably slow, 3 more months of this :'/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I applied for a secretary but came late so no training, and my job involves 'leadership' which means training others etc. as I have social anxiety my nerves and worries are so bad right now. I haven't told them about it, I didn't think leadership was part of the job. It's only 4pm here but my day has been unbearably slow, 3 more months of this :'/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously it's your choice but you should technically reveal any current/recent medical conditions; it's a requirement on our contracts at my camp that we disclose that information. You've only been there a day but if you're really struggling in a few, maybe contact your company for advice?
Original post by smileitsjess
Obviously it's your choice but you should technically reveal any current/recent medical conditions; it's a requirement on our contracts at my camp that we disclose that information. You've only been there a day but if you're really struggling in a few, maybe contact your company for advice?

It's my first day and I've only had four hours sleep so I'm hoping that's why. I know it takes time to settle and get used to the environment so I don't know whether it's just me and my personality clashing with the camp or that jetlag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's my first day and I've only had four hours sleep so I'm hoping that's why. I know it takes time to settle and get used to the environment so I don't know whether it's just me and my personality clashing with the camp or that jetlag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah tiredness definitely has an impact! Hope you're a little more settled now!
Finally got placed :smile: Except I'm replacing someone who dropped out last minute so I'm afraid everyone will have bonded by the time I get there :/ any tips?
Original post by blueberrysro
Finally got placed :smile: Except I'm replacing someone who dropped out last minute so I'm afraid everyone will have bonded by the time I get there :/ any tips?

Woooo! As someone who came later than most the other internationals, just get stuck in straight away. Whilst there will be some 'groups', not everyone will have bonded straight away so you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
if it is official exams you should be able to find out exam time tables on the website. I am from Scotland and we need to visit our SQA exam website but they should all be arranged. You should be able to finjd the timetable very soon. If in doubt just add it to the end of the school year.
Hey guys.

I wouldn't bother with camp America, go with somebody else!!! They were nothing but useless for me.

My "interviewer" ignored several emails, took forever and a day to approve things and in no way shape or form helped me through a very serious application issue like it is stated they do.

The office lost my recorded, signed for delivery of my security checks and passport copies, then tried to blame me saying I never sent it. So I had to contact the post office for proof of signature to send them, until they finally found it.

They never did ANYTHING to get me placed, all they ever did was take money off of me. They never helped at all. I would go with a different company, you are more likely to be placed and hopefully have better people helping you!!
Original post by LauraSinky
Hey guys.

I wouldn't bother with camp America, go with somebody else!!! They were nothing but useless for me.

My "interviewer" ignored several emails, took forever and a day to approve things and in no way shape or form helped me through a very serious application issue like it is stated they do.

The office lost my recorded, signed for delivery of my security checks and passport copies, then tried to blame me saying I never sent it. So I had to contact the post office for proof of signature to send them, until they finally found it.

They never did ANYTHING to get me placed, all they ever did was take money off of me. They never helped at all. I would go with a different company, you are more likely to be placed and hopefully have better people helping you!!

Is there anything we can help with at all? Sorry to hear about your experience with another company. Happy to help if we can.

Lots of love an #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team x
Original post by AmeriCamp
Is there anything we can help with at all? Sorry to hear about your experience with another company. Happy to help if we can.

Lots of love an #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team x

It's actually you guys I wish I went with. You see much more helpful and kind!!

Definitely going to go with you next time I try go away for the summer
Original post by LauraSinky
It's actually you guys I wish I went with. You see much more helpful and kind!!

Definitely going to go with you next time I try go away for the summer

Making us blush Laura. Do you know about our new program Camp Thailand as well? Very excited about it!

Seriously though thanks for such lovely words truly means a lot. We do go so so far for everyone who applies with us and give #FreeBiscuits of course hehe

Much Love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team x

11062107_1083985778296312_7731045908132227183_n.jpg
Original post by AmeriCamp
Making us blush Laura. Do you know about our new program Camp Thailand as well? Very excited about it!

Seriously though thanks for such lovely words truly means a lot. We do go so so far for everyone who applies with us and give #FreeBiscuits of course hehe

Much Love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp Team x

11062107_1083985778296312_7731045908132227183_n.jpg

Hi, I just applied for camp Thailand, however I would of preferred going to camp Canada or Americamp, I started an application for Americamp, as I don't think Camp Canada applications are open for 2016, but I'm struggling to put anything for skills... What would you suggest I do
Hey, I know this was from a while ago but just wondering what your skills were and why you think you got placed so late?
Reply 456
Hey. So I am thinking about applying to Camp America. It sounds amazing.
But, weird question, what kind of food do they serve? I'm a pretty picky eater and I'm a bit worried that I wouldn't like the food they have.
Original post by CHeggie
But, weird question, what kind of food do they serve? I'm a pretty picky eater and I'm a bit worried that I wouldn't like the food they have.

The food we had went through a weekly cycle organised by the kitchen staff, but there were always 'help yourself' foods off to the side of the dining room if you didn't fancy anything brought out for your cabin table.

For example during breakfast time there was always access to oatmeal, cereal and eggs.. lunchtimes there was always salad available, and at dinner times you could generally pick and choose at whatever we brought out on the trays.. Food items were often separate so you can help yourself to what you want and don't want.. Sorry 8 can't be more specific, the meals are usually quite varied.

I was at a Jewish camp, so Fridays meant beef brisket, motzah balls and challah bread. It was amazing. <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
is there any camps which accept people after the 25th of June
Original post by CHeggie

Hey! Don't worry there is a vast range of food you can have - remember they'll be feeding lots of fussy children so they really do cater for everyone! - Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest