The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science chat

Scroll to see replies

hi there.. m from India.. appearing for my ct1,3 this April.. just a little exhausted with the daily grind.. looking for some vents.
tell me abt u, u an actuarial student?
Original post by Enoxial
The ActEd website said you just need to revise P1, P2 and P3.
Honestly, Il do just the same. (Going to start in 2014)

hi
I have offers from LSE, Cass and Manchester. LSE has its name but I've heard that Cass has the better course, What exactly do they mean by that?
Hi guys!
Could anyone please help me with some answers for the following questions?
1)Can Actuarial Science be combined with Geopolitics, History, Geography or other social sciences degrees? Is there a possibility to also do a Minor with Actuarial Science?
2)How would you describe Actuarial Science? What do you do most often as an actuary? Do you do more problem solving or learn theory? What would a Problem solving/Theory ratio be? (I ask because I learned 90% of math by solving problems and doing exercises not by reading theory-Thanks!)
3)How is teaching quality for actuarial science at Essex?
(I have been offered a place for Actuarial Science with Year Abroad)
Thank you!
Reply 244
Original post by SIndar
I have offers from LSE, Cass and Manchester. LSE has its name but I've heard that Cass has the better course, What exactly do they mean by that?

Maybe Cass got better teachers? But this may be a way how students at Cass praise their uni because they don't really have any solid facts to deal with the better reputation of LSE? LOL
I think actuarial science at LSE is more mathematical compared to the one at Cass.
Hi! I have been offered an unconditional offer for Actuarial Science with Year Abroad at Essex. Does somebody know whether the year abroad's cost, both tuition and accommodation , is covered by the university? Also what are the chances to get to one of the US universities (California State Uni,Chico and Uni of Utah)?
Thank you!
Cris
Please can someone tell if manchester Is a good option for bsc mathematics and actuarial science
Reply 247
I need help with my final paper
what books do you need for cass
Hi everybody,
Hope you all had a nice summer break.
I'm looking to study actuarial science at either the LSE or CASS(2016 entry) . I got 4A's at AS Level and started my A2 courses today. Can anyone help me out with tips or things I should definitely by writing about in my personal statement. I will probably be applying to these courses unless anything major changes between now and january time.

1) Actuarial science at CASS
2) Actuarial science at LSE
3) Actuarial science + economics at Southampton

Thanks in Advance, any help would be much appreciated!!!
Hey guys, I have been looking around at courses and actuarial science seems to look like an interesting course to me. I have never considered a maths type degree because I don't like abstract maths but actuarial science seems to be maths that directly applies to real life which I like a lot. However in my AS results I got ACCC in maths, further maths, economics and physics respectively. In further maths I was only 5 UMS off a B and I did not like the D1 paper which I normally get 90+ UMS in. My economics will probably go up because I did no revision for it and I can get rid of physics.

What I would like to know is, do you think I can get AAA in my A2s if resits go to plan and am I almost guaranteed a place into LSE with those results or is the course very competitive where I should instead be aiming for A*s?

-Binary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Binary, it is definitely possible to do it but it would be very hard, especially because we are talking about 10 exams for A2 and then about 3/4 resits? I definitely think you should be aiming for an A* in maths if you can because it will make you stand out a little more. This is important considering this acceptance rate is normally around 30%
All the best!!!
Original post by BinaryJava
Hey guys, I have been looking around at courses and actuarial science seems to look like an interesting course to me. I have never considered a maths type degree because I don't like abstract maths but actuarial science seems to be maths that directly applies to real life which I like a lot. However in my AS results I got ACCC in maths, further maths, economics and physics respectively. In further maths I was only 5 UMS off a B and I did not like the D1 paper which I normally get 90+ UMS in. My economics will probably go up because I did no revision for it and I can get rid of physics.

What I would like to know is, do you think I can get AAA in my A2s if resits go to plan and am I almost guaranteed a place into LSE with those results or is the course very competitive where I should instead be aiming for A*s?

-Binary

Posted from TSR Mobile
With LSE, why is the student satisfaction so low? It seems to me that the course just doesn't pay out well according to unistats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I from what I hear LSE dont focus on the course as much as they do with their other more important and well known ones.

Original post by BinaryJava
With LSE, why is the student satisfaction so low? It seems to me that the course just doesn't pay out well according to unistats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I am conflicted about whether I should ask for offers for an actuarial science degree since I am not really sure what the subject is really about. I know it that they assess risk and is essentially a branch of statistics with some economics but other than that not sure.

I didn't really enjoy S1 last year because some the probability questions were always finding ways to catch you out :tongue:

The normal distribution, discrete random variables and binomial stuff however have been interesting to me and I believe these are more inclined to what actuaries actually use.

I am not really looking at London universities anymore since LSE ignore the AS degree somewhat and CASS is rated low for other subjects. I think Southampton's maths and AS or economics and AS look good but it makes me think whether I should just take a straight maths or economics degree.

I got ACCC in my AS levels this year in maths, further maths, physics and economics with my predictions for A2 being AAA.

With these AS results is it out of the question to get offers from any of these unis?

Also am I right in thinking that actuaries are becoming obsolete as I have seen firms remove there actuaries making me more inclined to have Computer Science and maths as all five options.
Hey guys i have question regarding Actuarial courses.
What is the main difference if u graduate in Actuarial studies in UK and other country (e.g USA or CANADA) ?
I realise that there are no UK university listed on the SOA website, meanwhile it's full of USA Unis.

website SOA : https://www.soa.org/Education/Resources/Actuarial-Colleges/actuarial-college-listings-details.aspx
Has anyone got any offers yet? I'm applying to cass, Southampton, Liverpool, and Herriot watt but I haven't heard back from any yet. Just wondering if anyone else has heard back yet
Original post by Fanta123
Has anyone got any offers yet? I'm applying to cass, Southampton, Liverpool, and Herriot watt but I haven't heard back from any yet. Just wondering if anyone else has heard back yet

Nice to find another one applying! I have received offers for CASS and Southampton. Didnt apply to your other two.
Anybody heard back from LSE?
Original post by Tizzydag
Nice to find another one applying! I have received offers for CASS and Southampton. Didnt apply to your other two.
Anybody heard back from LSE?

What are your as grades/ predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?
Hopeful actuary but a Maths student here :getmecoat:

Quick Reply

Latest