The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

Ooo sounds like fun, would love to see your progress.

I'm currently in the process of booking wedding photographers...very exciting! Also getting quite fussy about them. The guy I really want includes technical info on his camera set up which is nice (and it's Canon so at least no need to for me to get all "urgh Nikon" on my wedding day ha ha)
Reply 461
Original post by greeneyedgirl

I'm currently in the process of booking wedding photographers...very exciting! Also getting quite fussy about them. The guy I really want includes technical info on his camera set up which is nice (and it's Canon so at least no need to for me to get all "urgh Nikon" on my wedding day ha ha)

:rofl:

When is the big day?

I can just picture you glaring at the photographer's Nikon gear during all the big moments :ahee:
Original post by dhr90
:rofl:

When is the big day?

June 25th :smile:

Ha ha I totally would be. Unfortunately fav photographer just got booked up, so potentially might have to go with someone who shoots with a Nikon :afraid:
Ha ha I totally would be. Unfortunately fav photographer just got booked up, so potentially might have to go with someone who shoots with a Nikon :afraid:

Ask them to paint red rings around all their lenses so they look like L glass and you should be fine :P
Unfortunately fav photographer just got booked up, so potentially might have to go with someone who shoots with a Nikon :afraid:

Come one - I shoot Pentax and even I know that Nikon is the better part of CaNikon :tongue:
:teehee:

Original post by Sir Fox
Come one - I shoot Pentax and even I know that Nikon is the better part of CaNikon :tongue:

Sacrilege!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sacrilege!!

:biggrin:

Also, a couple of days ago the Neutral Density Awards were announced - there are some really amazing pictures among them, especially the winners in the Nature Landscape, Nature Aerial and People Travel categories:

http://ndawards.net
Reply 468
I've actually seen more than one person with red elastic bands around the end of their lenses to try to make them look more high end :rofl:
I've suffered my first corrupted SD card this week, very frustrating to have lost a few nice shots but at least it's happened now rather than costing me all the photos I take over Christmas or the first few weeks of being away.

I also picked up one of the SLR-oriented Gorillapods on a whim because I was able to get it for about £20, I wasn't expecting much but it feels a lot more solid than the smaller versions and its nice to have some additional shooting flexibility from something I can scrunch into a ball and chuck in my bag without adding any noticeable weight to my setup, especially since I won't be taking a full tripod when I leave.

Original post by dhr90
I've actually seen more than one person with red elastic bands around the end of their lenses to try to make them look more high end :rofl:

Don't forget about Sigma throwing red rings on some of their older zoom lenses too!
When Pentax introduced their new HD coating a couple of years ago they also elected to distinguish these updated or new lenses from the older SMC coated lenses (brandishing a green ring) by adding a red ring. But to be honest, there's just a limited amount of colours you can use, and yellow or blue would be a rather curious sight. I'm not aware of any manufacturer using yellow rings, and the only one using blue ones is/was Samsung.
Reply 471
Original post by Sir Fox
When Pentax introduced their new HD coating a couple of years ago they also elected to distinguish these updated or new lenses from the older SMC coated lenses (brandishing a green ring) by adding a red ring. But to be honest, there's just a limited amount of colours you can use, and yellow or blue would be a rather curious sight. I'm not aware of any manufacturer using yellow rings, and the only one using blue ones is/was Samsung.

Nikon use a shade of gold that isn't far off yellow. Likewise with Tokina.

Think Canon have/had green on one or two lenses? a 400mm of some sort if I remember rightly?
I'm not the support of person who usually pays extra for cosmetic changes or buys stuff to decorate his tech, but I've found these beautiful wooden hotshoe covers and now I really, really want one. I might see if my brother still needs ideas on what to buy me for Christmas and start dropping hints, and I'm buying him a laptop so even if he's bought me something already he can get me one of these too :ahee:

We should do a PhotoSoc secret santa next year :holmes:
Reply 473
I had a plastic one for about a year. Cost a couple of pounds from eBay. Whilst it looked nice on, it must have got caught on something and pulled out, haven't bothered to replace it. Think it trapped some water in there once too as I had to clean up a spot of rust once :frown:

We still haven't done a Photo Soc meet up either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
I had a plastic one for about a year. Cost a couple of pounds from eBay.

Don't cameras usually come with one?
Original post by Sir Fox
Don't cameras usually come with one?

My A7 II came with one, my Canon bodies didn't though.
Original post by dhr90
I had a plastic one for about a year. Cost a couple of pounds from eBay. Whilst it looked nice on, it must have got caught on something and pulled out, haven't bothered to replace it. Think it trapped some water in there once too as I had to clean up a spot of rust once :frown:

We still haven't done a Photo Soc meet up either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A meet up at some point next year will have to get sorted :yep: we've got a diverse bunch of interests so it will be interesting to see if we can all decide on somewhere :ahee:
Reply 477
I nominate a racetrack or an airshow :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
I nominate a racetrack or an airshow :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The perfect place for someone who shoots exclusively with a 35mm prime :teehee:
Reply 479
You've got a good sensor, just crop in post! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest