The Student Room Group

Mathematics, Economics or Financial Mathematics courses.

Hey all,

Would love a career in banking in the future. Deciding on what course to do at uni is the problem.

I love both maths and econ, but unsure on what to pick and what would open more doors. I am leaning more towards maths as it seems it would be better suited to trading whilst is the goal.

The courses i have been looking are:
LSE - Finance OR Mathematics and Economics
Warwick - Mathematics and Economic or MORSE
UCL - Mathematics and Economics

Back ups

Surrey - Financial Mathematics
Queen Mary - Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Economics
Loughborough - Financial Mathematics

Is Financial mathematics worth doing? or should straight with straight maths?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

anything from LSE Warwick and UCL is good
Original post by ramie
Hey all,

Would love a career in banking in the future. Deciding on what course to do at uni is the problem.

I love both maths and econ, but unsure on what to pick and what would open more doors. I am leaning more towards maths as it seems it would be better suited to trading whilst is the goal.

Back ups

thanks

Anything from your top 3 is good, except I'd say LSE's Maths department is pretty dire compared to Warwick's.

The degree course really doesn't matter that much for derivs trading (as long as it's a STEM course), anything you learn in financial maths will likely be irrelevant in practice. The bank teaches you how to navigate their models themselves. So, really just pick whichever you prefer the look of.

Loughborough and Surrey do marginally ok on placement (less than a handful a year) but they're not ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Anything from your top 3 is good, except I'd say LSE's Maths department is pretty dire compared to Warwick's.

The degree course really doesn't matter that much for derivs trading (as long as it's a STEM course), anything you learn in financial maths will likely be irrelevant in practice. The bank teaches you how to navigate their models themselves. So, really just pick whichever you prefer the look of.

Loughborough and Surrey do marginally ok on placement (less than a handful a year) but they're not ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So at LSE doing pure Economics would be better over mathematics and economics or even their new finance course?

My top two picks at the moment are UCL and Warwick.

At UCL I would choose the Maths and Econ program
At Warwick the same more than likely but I have heard and read that MORSE is "better".

what unis would make for good back ups? ones in the AAA range? that are targets?

thanks
Original post by ramie
So at LSE doing pure Economics would be better over mathematics and economics or even their new finance course?

My top two picks at the moment are UCL and Warwick.

At UCL I would choose the Maths and Econ program
At Warwick the same more than likely but I have heard and read that MORSE is "better".

what unis would make for good back ups? ones in the AAA range? that are targets?

thanks

Econ at LSE is preferable, their Finance programme looks nice too. Wouldn't get hung up over LSE though, as ultimately all 'targets' are treated fairly equally when assessing individuals for interview slots.

Yeah, I'd lean towards MORSE at Warwick. The programme is varied enough for you to be able to change/steer the modules towards topics you'd like to cover. There's a lot more freedom, I feel. Face value, it doesn't really matter, but as you're studying a course for 3-4 years, you should really be looking into the details.

The next 'tier' of target, is dubbed semi-targets and the strongest contenders amongst this group are: Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Cass and Bath - arguably, Manchester too. A bunch of top tier firms come on the campuses of the above as well as sponsor their finance/investment socieities. Although, less represented than the traditional targets they're still pretty solid.

Other ideas for back ups: KCL, Edinburgh, Loughborough, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham and St Andrews.
Reply 5
Econ at LSE is preferable, their Finance programme looks nice too. Wouldn't get hung up over LSE though, as ultimately all 'targets' are treated fairly equally when assessing individuals for interview slots.

Yeah, I'd lean towards MORSE at Warwick. The programme is varied enough for you to be able to change/steer the modules towards topics you'd like to cover. There's a lot more freedom, I feel. Face value, it doesn't really matter, but as you're studying a course for 3-4 years, you should really be looking into the details.

The next 'tier' of target, is dubbed semi-targets and the strongest contenders amongst this group are: Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Cass and Bath - arguably, Manchester too. A bunch of top tier firms come on the campuses of the above as well as sponsor their finance/investment socieities. Although, less represented than the traditional targets they're still pretty solid.

Other ideas for back ups: KCL, Edinburgh, Loughborough, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham and St Andrews.

Thanks for you detailed reply :smile:

Not too sure about Cass, seems a bit too niche.

My picks are likely to be:

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Loughborough/Surrey
Nottingham

Surrey seems higher in rankings?
Reply 6
How is queen mary as back up
Original post by ramie

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Loughborough/Surrey
Nottingham

Why no oxbridge?
Reply 8
Original post by TenthBelt1993
Why no oxbridge?

Not too sure. Always been put off because it seems impossible lol I suppose LSE is just as hard to get into.

Plus I think Cambridge would require me to do STEP.
Original post by ramie

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Loughborough/Surrey
Nottingham

Seems alright. Surrey being higher in the rankings doesn't really matter, they have a nack for boosting their student satisfaction scores in order to push their league table rank up.

I'd go based on location/where you'd prefer to be.
Original post by ramie
Hey all,

Back ups

thanks

LSE is probably the best out of all those, but Warwick MORSE gives you actuarial exemptions, which is useful if you are slightly considering a career as an actuary in case you don't make it into banking. UCL doesn't have maths and economics, only mathematics with economics, which is mainly maths with a little bit of economics.
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99
LSE is probably the best out of all those, but Warwick MORSE gives you actuarial exemptions, which is useful if you are slightly considering a career as an actuary in case you don't make it into banking. UCL doesn't have maths and economics, only mathematics with economics, which is mainly maths with a little bit of economics.

Is the maths and economics course at Warwick the same as the UCL? In that it's maths with a little econ?
Seems alright. Surrey being higher in the rankings doesn't really matter, they have a nack for boosting their student satisfaction scores in order to push their league table rank up.

I'd go based on location/where you'd prefer to be.

Whats a good degree for derivs trading? Economics or maths and economics?
Original post by A$aprocky

Maths and Econ ever so slightly, but tbh, I've seen plenty of pure Econ grads on derivs desks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths and Econ ever so slightly, but tbh, I've seen plenty of pure Econ grads on derivs desks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great thanks!
Original post by ramie
Is the maths and economics course at Warwick the same as the UCL? In that it's maths with a little econ?

No. Maths and economics at Warwick is around 50% maths and 50% economics- MORSE at Warwick is pretty much 90% maths. The UCL mathematics with econ is 75% math

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you know so many traders and bankers- it's crazy.
Original post by A$aprocky

quant subjects, on my desk - derivs strat desk (80% maths degree holders, had a physics guy, financial mathematician and An engineer of some discipline) of which a lot held masters in a quantitative subject

ints for the desk are highly quantitative in nature, so you need to know ur **** on derivs.. albeit this was a strat research desk as opposed to trading
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gr8wizard10
quant subjects, on my desk - derivs strat desk (80% maths degree holders, had a physics guy, financial mathematician and An engineer of some discipline) of which a lot held masters in a quantitative subject

ints for the desk are highly quantitative in nature, so you need to know ur **** on derivs.. albeit this was a strat research desk as opposed to trading

So are you saying that Maths and econ was better? or is economics sufficient (in a uni with a lot of maths)?
Original post by Trapz99
No. Maths and economics at Warwick is around 50% maths and 50% economics- MORSE at Warwick is pretty much 90% maths. The UCL mathematics with econ is 75% math

MORSE at Warwick is 40-90% Maths, depending on which modules/routes you choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending