The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

hi everyone!!
I got an offer from manchester for law! and im actually really curious as to why they would lower the standard offer from AAA to AAB in my offer? does anyone have an idea?? thxx
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Origami Bullets
Drop them an email. It sounds like they think they've sent you the link!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't Manchester Uni offer wifi in student halls? I thought to believe that was standard in every single university or so I assumed .....:s-smilie:

Is it specific campus halls i.e fallowf halls or city halls or?
Original post by mint_chocolate
hi everyone!!
I got an offer from manchester for law! and im actually really curious as to why they would lower the standard offer from AAA to AAB in my offer? does anyone have an idea?? thxx

Maybe it's not as competitive this year for law?
Your predicted grades may have encouraged them to lower the offer.
You may have shined in the interview if you had one
etc.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Why don't Manchester Uni offer wifi in student halls? I thought to believe that was standard in every single university or so I assumed .....:s-smilie:

Is it specific campus halls i.e fallowf halls or city halls or?

They have been rolling it out over the last few years; many halls had it by the time I left and I think they were planning to have full coverage by now.
Does anyone know if you can take additional course units at the university outside of your 120 credits per year limit?
Not normally, and frankly I don't know many people who want to sign up for extra work.

However, you can invariably just go along to the lectures for an extra module without having to do the work, and you can pay to take a foreign language course if you don't want to do it for credits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not normally, and frankly I don't know many people who want to sign up for extra work.

However, you can invariably just go along to the lectures for an extra module without having to do the work, and you can pay to take a foreign language course if you don't want to do it for credits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bummer. I am thinking about extra course units outside of your degree, because a master I am applying to requires a course which I am not able to take.
Original post by SeamanDemon
Bummer. I am thinking about extra course units outside of your degree, because a master I am applying to requires a course which I am not able to take.

Can't. I've tried. My faculty wouldn't allow me to load >120 credits. Some programs have specific modules that can be undertaken only. Check with your program administrator/director. They would advise you accordingly
Hi just need quick help.. does anybody know if univeristy of manchester is really fussy about ur attendace in ur previous college or uni.. i m doing foudation year in some other uni and have applied in uom but my attendance is not good. Will that affect my application
Original post by Aleena minhas
Hi just need quick help.. does anybody know if univeristy of manchester is really fussy about ur attendace in ur previous college or uni.. i m doing foudation year in some other uni and have applied in uom but my attendance is not good. Will that affect my application

They won't know unless it's stated in your reference, which would be highly unusual - references are positive documents, and it is likely that they will simply not mention the topic of your attendance.

However, attendance is strongly correlated with achievement, and if you miss your grades you may very well be rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aleena minhas

What you applying for? Im coming from a foundation year too 🔑

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I am a student from Denmark trying to transfer to University of Manchester to study CS. I have some specific questions that I would like to ask someone, in private preferably. If someone can help me, please pm me or post here so I can contact you.
Thank you!
Reply 432
Hi everyone! I have got a conditional offer for Business Studies in Manchester. ı also made it my firm choice but recently i have realised that Business studies is taught in Social Sciences school whereas if ı had chosen Management course, I would be studying at Alliance Business School. ıf i have the chance should i change my course to Management or not?
Reply 433
Can someone please share their personal living cost (category wise) of UoM?
Original post by dcbari

I studied there 2011-14, and it cost around £8000 to live - self catered, shared bathroom, veggie diet, societies, reasonable number of nights out, modest number of hours in part time job, modest shopping habits.

In essence, it was a lifestyle that wasn't lavish, but it was on a par with other students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 435
Original post by Windowswind123
I have been invited to an interview at Manchester studying Mathematics and Physics.
In the PDF they attached to the email there is a section saying:

It is really important that you confirm your attendance as early as possible. Please replyusing the "Online Reply Slip"

The last three words are highlighted blue, as though a hyperlink is supposed to be there... but there isn't?
Not sure what to do, could anyone give me any advice?
Should I be waiting for another email, I received the interview invite 5 days ago.

It's a massive coincidence that I see this post. My brother completed the same course 2 years ago at the same university. I can't help you out with your question but if you have any questions you want to ask him let me know :wink:
Original post by dcbari

I know you've already got one answer, but just for a comparison:
2014-15 academic year I lived in oak house (cheapest UoM halls), shopped almost exclusively at Lidl, went on nights out fairly infrequently (once every two week maybe), no other major money sinks.
Total expenditure for the year was somewhere around £7000 to £7500
Original post by AKC...
It's a massive coincidence that I see this post. My brother completed the same course 2 years ago at the same university. I can't help you out with your question but if you have any questions you want to ask him let me know :wink:

Haha, ok thanks; I'll bear that in mind.
Reply 438
Hey guys,I got an offer for Economics and Finance (BAEcons).Currently considering to firm Manchester or Bristol.I have a few questions,hope you guys can answer them
1.In the manchester website,it said that in the end my degree would be BA (Hons) Economic and Social Studies but my offer on UCAS was Economics and Finance (3 Years) [BAEcon].Could someone clarify this for me?
2.I heard the student satisfaction for economics in manchester were pretty low,just wanted to know the reason behind this
3.Lastly,not really a question but if any of you have any insights on the quality of teaching of economics and finance at manchester,I'd appreciate it very much ! :biggrin:
How's Old Nic ? The engineering professor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending