The Student Room Group

What are REVISION NOTES ? HELP

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question but what exactly are revision notes and why is everyone making them? Everyone's talking about finishing up revision notes, writing them up, etc. but what exactly are they? Are they condensed versions of your class notes and textbooks or are they your individual notes? How do you make them? Examples would be nice. HELP
Paper with writing on ;D
Reply 2
When people say this I usually take it to mean condensed, concise notes made from notes in class - a shorter format that one can revise from :tongue:
You don't even need them really.

The time that you would spend making them, you could just simply memorise from the book.

Read from book + past papers = all you need.

Except for Lit, where I made a document with all the quotes.
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism

The time that you would spend making them, you could just simply memorise from the book.

Certain textbooks are so like...the information is just too much; you're presented with so much unnecessary information and so I find it easier just to write out basic notes of the things in the textbook, personally :tongue:

My Philosophy textbook is awful for this, I can read about 5 pages in the book and only write out 2 sentences because it's all unnecessary examples.
--
But yeah I agree some people waste a lot of time doing such a thing when it's not needed that much.
Reply 5
Original post by katebeckett
Ok, this may sound like a stupid question but what exactly are revision notes and why is everyone making them? Everyone's talking about finishing up revision notes, writing them up, etc. but what exactly are they? Are they condensed versions of your class notes and textbooks or are they your individual notes? How do you make them? Examples would be nice. HELP

I was at your position a few years back. But here is a simple answer and how Revision Notes could help you.

Revision Notes are simply notes that help you revise (it's in the name), to do better in your exams. These could consist of making notes from past paper questions, and memorise what the answers are for each question, or even making flash cards with simplified notes.

However, people do not always make Revision Notes. Everyone has their own way of revising to make the most out of their exams, however I would advise you should give it a go as it could enhance your exam results.

Good Luck.
Original post by EliteWolf98
Paper with writing on ;D

You solved it! 👏🏼😂
Original post by Inexorably
When people say this I usually take it to mean condensed, concise notes made from notes in class - a shorter format that one can revise from :tongue:

That's what I kind of figured too but how can they condense all the information to such a summarised format? 😭

Thank you for that! I have never really made them and usually just memorise stuff from my textbook and yeah do past papers. I have some assurance now! Do you just use the textbooks for revision as well? (like for memorising,etc.)
Original post by Drunq
I was at your position a few years back. But here is a simple answer and how Revision Notes could help you.

Revision Notes are simply notes that help you revise (it's in the name), to do better in your exams. These could consist of making notes from past paper questions, and memorise what the answers are for each question, or even making flash cards with simplified notes.

However, people do not always make Revision Notes. Everyone has their own way of revising to make the most out of their exams, however I would advise you should give it a go as it could enhance your exam results.

Good Luck.

Oh, it does make sense to make notes on pastpaper questions, answers,etc for the topics. You said it could enhance my resulrs, but how so and in what ways? I've no idea how to make effective revision notes.
Reply 10
Oh, it does make sense to make notes on pastpaper questions, answers,etc for the topics. You said it could enhance my resulrs, but how so and in what ways? I've no idea how to make effective revision notes.

It varies for each person. Some people like intension revision, making as much of their time, while others cannot handle the intense and go for a more calm approach with many breaks. It could enhance your results by allowing you to carry more data because the objective of revision notes is to help you remember during an exam, the more you remember the more sufficient your result will be.

LOL I don't make notes for revision I just write down what I'm thinking based on the textbook. I compile classwork notes in the books my schoolgives me and I look at them from time to time. I don't make notes based off old notes, I find it rather useless. When I'm making my notes I read the textbook, look at the summary questions and make my notes based on the paragraph and type of questions there are. I write everything in my own words and sort of reoder everything. Also I make notes from the cgp revision guides as there more focused on exam questions. Once I've finished motes I attempt the summaru questions and move on to past papers. Looking at old notes is rather worthless as your understanding based off those notes would be weaker than your current one. Once you understand how something works you don't need to relearn only refresh it in your head by looking at revision guides, videos and questions. Good luck with your revision! :smile:
Original post by Drunq
It varies for each person. Some people like intension revision, making as much of their time, while others cannot handle the intense and go for a more calm approach with many breaks. It could enhance your results by allowing you to carry more data because the objective of revision notes is to help you remember during an exam, the more you remember the more sufficient your result will be.

Thank you so much 😊!!
Reply 13
Thank you so much 😊!!

You're most welcome. Remember that you could try many different revision techniques, for example; sticking things on the wall, bullet pointing on a piece of paper, mind maps, plain textbook work. The more you experiment with, the more of an idea you'll understand why it is important.

Some people may think you have asked a stupid question, but the fact is that you came on The Student Room to ask is very brave and shows you care for your studies, and i wish with you the best of luck.

Regards, Drunq
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
LOL I don't make notes for revision I just write down what I'm thinking based on the textbook. I compile classwork notes in the books my schoolgives me and I look at them from time to time. I don't make notes based off old notes, I find it rather useless. When I'm making my notes I read the textbook, look at the summary questions and make my notes based on the paragraph and type of questions there are. I write everything in my own words and sort of reoder everything. Also I make notes from the cgp revision guides as there more focused on exam questions. Once I've finished motes I attempt the summaru questions and move on to past papers. Looking at old notes is rather worthless as your understanding based off those notes would be weaker than your current one. Once you understand how something works you don't need to relearn only refresh it in your head by looking at revision guides, videos and questions. Good luck with your revision! :smile:

Wow, your method makes lot of sense because I never saw the point of just rewriting classnotws or the textbooks either. I make plans for questions and I guess I should make more notes on them too. Thank you so much and good luck with your revision too!
Original post by Drunq
You're most welcome. Remember that you could try many different revision techniques, for example; sticking things on the wall, bullet pointing on a piece of paper, mind maps, plain textbook work. The more you experiment with, the more of an idea you'll understand why it is important.

Some people may think you have asked a stupid question, but the fact is that you came on The Student Room to ask is very brave and shows you care for your studies, and i wish with you the best of luck.

Regards, Drunq

Yes, I think I should change up and try different techniques as I've always just memorised or read over the textbooks, etc.

Thank you so much for your wishes and good luck to you too!
That's what I kind of figured too but how can they condense all the information to such a summarised format? 😭

I think one way of doing it is by writing revision notes that are a little bit more summarised than the originals, then writing them again in an even more summarised way and so on. This may be through writing it in your own, simpler version, but also the bits that you don't write down the second/third time (or write down in a very very short way, just as a reminder) are the bits you have managed to memorise from the previous time writing the notes. This is particularly useful when trying to teach yourself concepts as you may grasp part of the concept quickly, but need to focus on the other parts for longer.

You could abbreviate common words - e.g. in philosophy I abbreviate knowledge to K, and justified, true, belief to JTB.
You could write shorter sentences and miss out unnecessary words (E.g. instead of ''in addition'' just draw a + sign).
You could just write down the key words and draw some symbols so you know the connections between said key words.

And so on.

It might be worth asking someone you know that creates revision notes, to find out what they do :smile:

My textbook is 500 pages and that's just for 1 subject. How will I be able to memorize 500 pages per subject?

Quick Reply

Latest