The Student Room Group

Realistically, how passionate must one be to study medicine?

I was very motivated to study medicine until quite recently when in doing some work experience and shadowing the doctors were very disillusioned and vehemently tried to dissuade from studying medicine and pursuing the career unless I am absolutely sure it's the only thing I want in the world, give or take. And it hit me. The strong words of advice made me very much consider my position and whether I might enjoy something else.

With about just over a year to go until I'd be applying, there is still time for me to decide through more work experience and shadowing but ultimately I don't know whether I really need to feel so strongly for medicine that it's a 'calling' or if this is even reasonable at 17 years old.

Considering my options sensibly, a maths heavy course would set me up well for a diverse amount of careers. Learning to program on top of that would give me a skill set that should see me in a very confident position, given these are both strength of mine. I'd also graduate 2-3 years earlier. Having done that, I'd most probably be able to work in healthcare using these techniques, though never as a doctor. That sentence makes me kind of sad. I really enjoyed my shadowing, interacting with patients, watching a surgery. I loved the buzz of seeing a diagnosis being made. Yet each professional gave the same stark warning - if you could see yourself doing anything else, do that.

Because of this, medicine is very low on my priority list. I've tried tailor my a levels towards physical sciences and maths (keeping open a few medical schools with chemistry, maths, fm and physics), but even so I still feel like that's where I should be and it's frustrating.

Any advice from medical students or doctors would be fantastic.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry I know this isn't answering your question, but no biology? You'll be shutting off a lot of doors there for medicine :/

(Not giving advice since not a medical student :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathstatician
I was very motivated to study medicine until quite recently when in doing some work experience and shadowing the doctors were very disillusioned and vehemently tried to dissuade from studying medicine and pursuing the career unless I am absolutely sure it's the only thing I want in the world, give or take. And it hit me. The strong words of advice made me very much consider my position and whether I might enjoy something else.

With about just over a year to go until I'd be applying, there is still time for me to decide through more work experience and shadowing but ultimately I don't know whether I really need to feel so strongly for medicine that it's a 'calling' or if this is even reasonable at 17 years old.

Considering my options sensibly, a maths heavy course would set me up well for a diverse amount of careers. Learning to program on top of that would give me a skill set that should see me in a very confident position, given these are both strength of mine. I'd also graduate 2-3 years earlier. Having done that, I'd most probably be able to work in healthcare using these techniques, though never as a doctor. That sentence makes me kind of sad. I really enjoyed my shadowing, interacting with patients, watching a surgery. I loved the buzz of seeing a diagnosis being made. Yet each professional gave the same stark warning - if you could see yourself doing anything else, do that.

Because of this, medicine is very low on my priority list. I've tried tailor my a levels towards physical sciences and maths (keeping open a few medical schools with chemistry, maths, fm and physics), but even so I still feel like that's where I should be and it's frustrating.

Currently in my final year, 6 weeks away from finals, and to be honest the current situation is probably the lowest i've experienced in medical school.

If i were to have my time again i would without doubt have went down the maths/engineering route, far more diverse with far more options available at the end.
Original post by surina16
Sorry I know this isn't answering your question, but no biology? You'll be shutting off a lot of doors there for medicine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. I may instead study maths, fm, biology and chemistry. Have the summer to work that out.
Original post by plrodham1
Currently in my final year, 6 weeks away from finals, and to be honest the current situation is probably the lowest i've experienced in medical school.

If i were to have my time again i would without doubt have went down the maths/engineering route, far more diverse with far more options available at the end.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you think having graduated will give you a boost? I imagine the stress is just culminating right now.

Is the prospect of foundation years a positive or negative right now?
Ah, I see your struggle. Because if you don't take physics you'll close off lots of engineering etc etc :/
I know work experience is probably an obvious answer, but maybe carry out some WE in the other fields you are interested in and see how they compare to medicine? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you think having graduated will give you a boost? I imagine the stress is just culminating right now.

Is the prospect of foundation years a positive or negative right now?

Probably not, i want to do academic surgery which means a minimum of 13-14 years as a "junior doctor". Don't get me wrong, i imagine the actual time spent on the wards will be enjoyable, but the opportunity cost is simply becoming too high. I'll probably begin to seek routes to move abroad.

I too have these worries sometimes and considering I haven't been able to find any work experience I sometimes fear that I would study for 5/6 years then realise I don't want to be a doctor at all.:s-smilie: However, from what you said about the experience you had work shadowing (how it was so enjoyable and gave you a buzz) it seems you really would enjoy medicine. Obviously, it will be hard work but if you're willing to put in the work then... You still have a while to think about it. Think about if you would be willing to work in a hospital/healthcare environment but not be a doctor. Would you be jealous or look at the others while regretting your decision??
Original post by plrodham1
Probably not, i want to do academic surgery which means a minimum of 13-14 years as a "junior doctor". Don't get me wrong, i imagine the actual time spent on the wards will be enjoyable, but the opportunity cost is simply becoming too high. I'll probably begin to seek routes to move abroad.

Yeah, ouch. And once you're in it seems like there are very few exit opportunities outside of medicine.

I appreciate the feedback and, of course, hope finals go well!
You don't, it's a lie.

You have to be willing to work really hard like any student at a top university.
Indeed. I may instead study maths, fm, biology and chemistry. Have the summer to work that out.

What about Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths? Or is that too much science? I know a lot off people who have gone for that combination because they want to do something science/engineering/maths but not sure exactly what
Original post by Hollie_Jessop
I too have these worries sometimes and considering I haven't been able to find any work experience I sometimes fear that I would study for 5/6 years then realise I don't want to be a doctor at all.:s-smilie: However, from what you said about the experience you had work shadowing (how it was so enjoyable and gave you a buzz) it seems you really would enjoy medicine. Obviously, it will be hard work but if you're willing to put in the work then... You still have a while to think about it. Think about if you would be willing to work in a hospital/healthcare environment but not be a doctor. Would you be jealous or look at the others while regretting your decision??

I'm honestly not sure how I'd feel. My biggest concern is I am somewhat guilty of getting caught up in the prestige and glamour. Shadowing 'cool' stuff on a one off and actually studying for and practicing medicine day in and day out seem like very different prospects.

It may be worth considering studying for maths or something similar then if I'm still very much wanting to study medicine go for a graduate entry degree. I understand these are more competitive still but maybe a sensible option if I'm still sure in a few years :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm honestly not sure how I'd feel. My biggest concern is I am somewhat guilty of getting caught up in the prestige and glamour. Shadowing 'cool' stuff on a one off and actually studying for and practicing medicine day in and day out seem like very different prospects.

It may be worth considering studying for maths or something similar then if I'm still very much wanting to study medicine go for a graduate entry degree. I understand these are more competitive still but maybe a sensible option if I'm still sure in a few years :dontknow:

Yeah, don't just study medicine because you want Dr in front of your name.:u: And would you really want to study just pure maths for 3 years then go back to the science subjects, it would take a long time. Maybe you could try and get some more work shadowing/work experience to help you out with your decision.
Hi,

I've just been through the applications process for medicine this year, and will be starting my course in September. Reading through what you have written, it seems to me that the arguments you have against studying medicine (shorter degree etc) are very much logical 'head' arguments that justify why you shouldn't choose it as a career. Yet you admit yourself that you get the medicine 'buzz'. That's exactly how I'd describe the feeling of knowing I wanted to do medicine - as if I really didn't want to go home at the end of the day on my hospital work experience placement. To be honest, I'm very surprised that all the doctors you met tried to dissuade you from a career in medicine. I met several doctors on a wide variety of work experience placements and while they admitted that the profession has its challenges, all were extremely encouraging. It seems to me that you have just been very unlucky with the doctors you have met, and should definitely look at organising some more work experience at a different hospital or GP practice, whether that's this summer or taking a gap year to reconsider your options - you could even try to find a job as a healthcare assistant or GP receptionist in order to get some first-hand experience of a healthcare career. If you do choose to do this and apply the following year, your extra experience and opportunity to reflect on your path to choosing to apply for medicine will greatly strengthen your application.

A medical degree is however extremely challenging, intellectually and emotionally, and it is certainly not something you should embark upon if you are not 100% committed. While a very small minority of medicine graduates go on to work in other fields such as finance, this is of course not something you should be aiming for when starting the degree. Above all, I'd ask yourself the question: 'Could I go through the rest of my life knowing I had the opportunity to pursue a career in medicine and didn't?' Will you experience a pang of envy every time you visit the doctor's surgery and know you could be doing their job? If you feel confident you would not, then medicine is probably not for you. If however, you feel you would, then it seems you should definitely get some more work experience, speak to as many doctors as possible and try to collect as much information as possible in order to keep considering a career in medicine, and make an informed decision about whether you will pursue it. Good luck!
I'm pretty much in the same position as you. I chose my a levels with the goal of doing medicine (chemistry, biology, maths, economics) but after doing some shadowing and work experience I've come to the realisation that it isn't the career for me. I think you have to be extremely passionate to study medicine. Especially considering how lengthy the process is and how much debt you'll accumulate.

Now I want to study engineering but don't have physics or further maths so I'm in a bit of a pickle :/
I don't think that the debt should be a huge consideration. Our repayment programmes are very fair.

But yes the physics and further maths requirements make trying to cover your bases tricky. They want you to throw your whole weight behind one 'stream', it seems.
People love to moan and complain. Do medicine if you want to do it.

If they hate their jobs so much, why don't they quit and apply for one of the huge number of other graduate jobs available?
Reply 17

"I loved the buzz of seeing a diagnosis being made" I don't think you meant this in an insensitive way but while you love the buzz of a diagnosis, your patient's life has been turned upside down. It may be hard to remember but I think empathy is a key quality of a doctor. Wanting to genuinely help people in very vulnerable and helpless positions. Dealing with people that may be very angry, very upset and very scared about their future because of serious illness that may last a life time. There are also many times when as a doctor, you cannot cure a patient. You cannot always make the great impact on lives of people because there is a lot science hasn't found answers to.
I am not a doctor but I am currently having to face being on the other side of the table as a patient. So these are my biased views. I am also thinking of applying to medicine and like you looking for answers..
(edited 8 years ago)
If I had my time again I'd still do medicine. I am a realist, so I won't deny that aspects of it suck, namely:

1) The government - pushing their destructive agenda and trying to destroy the service on the sly

2) The system - it's big, it's old, it sends you to **** places without caring about your personal wishes/family/social life.

3) The hoop jumping and exercises in pointlessness - starts when you apply and apparently never ends.

4) The media - they help the government achieve their nefarious aims.

And these are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head when I should actually be revising. There are probably a hundred more.

HOWEVER - I defy you to find me a single public sector worker (teacher, nurse, police officer, firefighter etc) who is currently happy with how the government is (mis)managing their place of work, who isn't underpaid and over worked, and buried under a mountain of shitty paperwork and targets and being **** on by our disgustingly obsequious media. This is the price you pay for caring about your fellow man/woman in England it seems.

So I certainly empathise with any doctor or medical student who hates that we are being screwed and wants to get out, but the grass isn't necessarily all that much greener on the other side for a lot of people.

That said, medicine does come with all sorts of added stresses which other jobs don't have to deal with (very long, exhausting, expensive training, emotional demands, being sent all over the country, etc) so I would agree with whoever told you that if you can see yourself being happier in another job, to do that job. This is why work experience is so important - so applicants can make a better informed decision about whether this is actually the kind of life they want to have full time or not.

Speaking for myself, the good bits outweigh the bad so I have no intention to pursue other avenues.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
You don't have to love it, but it will consume your whole life.

The majority of my colleagues are the "it's all I've ever wanted to do" type, and I don't feel that way at all. But, I'm here, and with finals in about 4 weeks it's probably a bit late to have a change of heart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending