The Student Room Group

Gaming pc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fadel
That's the RAM only. He'll need a new motherboard and a CPU. Skylakes and Haswell-Es aren't cheap nor are the X99 or Z170 motherboards.

He can get the skylake i7 for less.. He doesnt need an I7.. Anyway you carry on.
Original post by sandvika
BTW its not a build since you have no HDD, a £50 PSU and a £54 case which is hilarious

Sorry didn't know I had to meet your expectations...?
Why would I need a HDD lmao they have a much higher failure rate and they are slow. How does the amount spent on a case determine the quality of a build? Don't be stupid now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by martinnmartin
Sorry didn't know I had to meet your expectations...?
Why would I need a HDD lmao they have a much higher failure rate and they are slow. How does the amount spent on a case determine the quality of a build? Don't be stupid now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get a £30 case for better. 500gb won't store ****, you can get a 2tb HDD and 120GB SSD for the same price. I was answering your question, don't get too pissy
I don't think I need 2tb thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
500GB might not be enough if you plan on downloading many games, I only have a 500GB HDD with only 4GB left and not many games installed at all

although if you don't really get many games and only play a few then tbh it'd do
So what 1tb is good with 128 SSD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I need 2tb thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just looked at your build and it looks pretty good overall but here's a few things:

1. I'd recommend a higher wattage PSU anything 600W and above should be great and make sure you buy one from a reputable brand like corsair, seasonic etc.

2. It's probably better to get a 250GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive or more for storage. 500GB of just SSD storage is extremely quick to fill up especially considering how games are 40GB+ these days.

3. If it is possible go with the most current chipset you can, although it might be cheaper now if you go with the Z97 chipset because of the DDR3 ram, if your motherboard fails in the future then it might be difficult to get a replacement.

4. Wait for the next line of graphics cards to come as they're supposed to have big performance improvements over the current graphics cards due to DX12/VR coming in to play.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Just looked at your build and it looks pretty good overall but here's a few things:

1. I'd recommend a higher wattage PSU anything 600W and above should be great and make sure you buy one from a reputable brand like corsair, seasonic etc.

2. It's probably better to get a 250GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive or more for storage. 500GB of just SSD storage is extremely quick to fill up especially considering how games are 40GB+ these days.

3. If it is possible go with the most current chipset you can, although it might be cheaper now if you go with the Z97 chipset because of the DDR3 ram, if your motherboard fails in the future then it might be difficult to get a replacement.

4. Wait for the next line of graphics cards to come as they're supposed to have big performance improvements over the current graphics cards due to DX12/VR coming in to play.

Thanks, I'll probably get a 750w from corsair and get 1tb HDD and 128/250gb SSD.
When do the new graphics cards come out? Also when do the next gen Intel CPU's come out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also can I use my current 500gb hard drive in my new PC? It has windows XP on it so what will happen when I use it with windows 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also can I use my current 500gb hard drive in my new PC? It has windows XP on it so what will happen when I use it with windows 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure when the next intel cpus are going to be released but the next line of graphics cards should be released in the later half of this year. You can use your 500gb hard drive in your new pc just make sure you set your ssd as your primary boot drive in the bios. Btw its also best for the sake of convenience to get a semi or fully modular psu so that you can just connect everything up with just the wires you need.
Reply 30
I'm not sure you need 1866mhz ram, had 1600mhz ram in my i7 rig for over 4 years and it's still solid.
So when I transfer my old HDD to my new PC can I access all the data? Will everything be compatible ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The r9 390 is too long for that case lol

Unlikely. It's about 450mm long (I have one next to me) unless you use all 5 HDD mounting brackets.
So when I transfer my old HDD to my new PC can I access all the data? Will everything be compatible ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can access data but ofc you cnat use the os.
Looks ok, though the price is pretty horrible, and I don't know what tier that PSU is. I personally would prefer a bigger hard drive rather than a relatively small SSD. Also the OS is questionable.
What's wrong with the price and windows 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not only using this PC for gaming

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YungRilt
atleast get DDR4 ram and if you gonna overclock you will need larger power supply

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about quite clearly.

You can run an OC on an i7 5960x + GTX Titan X combo on a 600W PSU, so I highly doubt he will need a bigger PSU than the one listed, as both his CPU and GPU have lower power requirements.

Oh and Z97 doesn't support DDR4..

OP, it will be fine - personally question the point of the optical drive, but then personal preference.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iainvg
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about quite clearly.

You can run an OC on an i7 5960x + GTX Titan X combo on a 600W PSU, so I highly doubt he will need a bigger PSU than the one listed, as both his CPU and GPU have lower power requirements.

Oh and Z97 doesn't support DDR4..

OP, it will be fine - personally question the point of the optical drive, but then personal preference.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
[video="youtube;dYHVUrXOwbI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest