The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FusionNetworks
The YouTube channel HegartyMaths helped a **** tonne!
(patrickJMT is also a good channel)
I brought the CGP guide for my maths syllabus. It is a really good buy, because it explains everything clearly and simply. I highly recommend to purchase these!
Most of all I just kept revising and doing as many past papers as possible.
Most of my friends just used myMaths to revise from which they said helped!

Something to motivate you: I always found maths hard and was in the bottom of my years maths set. However, I revised really hard over the exam leave/break, and ended up being the only one in my year to get an A* in maths :smile: So **** u top set :wink:

Ok thanks so much!! :smile:
Original post by Username3097486
Holy crap man great results!
May I ask when you started revising?
I am also doing further maths, do you think exam solutions and past papers is sufficient enough?
Last question, how did you revise for the sciences and other subjects you did

Thank you!

I started revision in Februray but to be honest it was really slow, and only in april did I do solid revision like weekends lunches break times everything.

Not to scare you as I'm sure you're aware of this already, but for most (including me), further maths is a different paper to any other. The majority won't be able to go through the paper normally, its more of flicking back and forth trying to pick up marks here and there. So my advice is literally just try to learn as many methods and things as you can to maximise your marks.

For sciences (triple science for me), I had OCR 21st century and I just bought the CGP revision guides which covered each topic in 6-7 pages. However they weren't detailed enough. So I annotated the hell out of the book (THERE WAS NO WHITE SPACE LEFT ANYWHERE!) using my class notes and textbooks with everything the guide didn't have (A/A* stuff).

French-Learnt vocab;tbh didn't do a lot for it
Geography- Made cue cards for case studies and made a little book of all the content
Graphics- Read the textbook and hoped for the best!
English lang and lit- tbh I didn't really revise for these; just did some the weekend before and took the day off school the day before exam :tongue:
R.E-made little books for each topic.

I was mega ill in the last week and had three triple science exams, 2 further maths and a graphics. IT WAS HELL xD

good luck and just so you know, hard work is the answer!!
Original post by Zaydy3
Thank you!

I started revision in Februray but to be honest it was really slow, and only in april did I do solid revision like weekends lunches break times everything.

Not to scare you as I'm sure you're aware of this already, but for most (including me), further maths is a different paper to any other. The majority won't be able to go through the paper normally, its more of flicking back and forth trying to pick up marks here and there. So my advice is literally just try to learn as many methods and things as you can to maximise your marks.

For sciences (triple science for me), I had OCR 21st century and I just bought the CGP revision guides which covered each topic in 6-7 pages. However they weren't detailed enough. So I annotated the hell out of the book (THERE WAS NO WHITE SPACE LEFT ANYWHERE!) using my class notes and textbooks with everything the guide didn't have (A/A* stuff).

French-Learnt vocab;tbh didn't do a lot for it
Geography- Made cue cards for case studies and made a little book of all the content
Graphics- Read the textbook and hoped for the best!
English lang and lit- tbh I didn't really revise for these; just did some the weekend before and took the day off school the day before exam :tongue:
R.E-made little books for each topic.

I was mega ill in the last week and had three triple science exams, 2 further maths and a graphics. IT WAS HELL xD

good luck and just so you know, hard work is the answer!!

I've been filling in the missing knowledge in the cgp books from the Big OCR 21 st century books. Is that ok ? Do you have a list of thing it's missing in case I've missed something ? Thanks a bunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zaydy3
No problem, if you have any questions just ask.

Can you answer mine please ? Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
9 A*s, 1 A and 1B (in arabic haha big mistake) plus A in AS maths :smile:
Original post by callanporter
9 A*s, 1 A and 1B (in arabic haha big mistake) plus A in AS maths :smile:

Nice, how did you revise for GCSE Maths?
Original post by zXcodeXz
Nice, how did you revise for GCSE Maths?

End of chapter exercises mostly. Find online worksheets for topics you struggle with, good luckk x
Original post by callanporter
End of chapter exercises mostly. Find online worksheets for topics you struggle with, good luckk x

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 268
Hi, what did you guys get in GCSE's, I'm trying to motivate myself to get top grades.

11 A*s (lol as if)

7A*s 2As 2Bs

Aim high!
Original post by sue99
11 A*s (lol as if)

7A*s 2As 2Bs

Aim high!

Woah!! How?!?!
Reply 270
Woah!! How?!?!

To be completely honest, the subjects I did get A*s in I loved (Maths, English Language, English Lit, German, Spanish, Chemistry, Physics), so my passion and enjoyment of the subject helped give me the motivation - and they were also quite logical subjects. The subjects I got As in weren't very important to me so I didn't do as well - they were too content-based and not very maths or logic-based (Biology and RS). And finally, the subjects I got Bs in (History and ICT) were hell for me and I pretty much regretted taking them soon after I chose them, in Year 10. But it was too late and I wanted to give myself the opportunity to try my very best in subjects I didn't particularly enjoy. I enjoyed ICT more than History, but our teachers really messed up our coursework, and because I didn't do very well in that, and it counted for 60% of the final grade, I ended up getting a B. I liked History because it was interesting to me, but I didn't have the knack of writing long essays under extreme pressure and linking reasons and all that, so I struggled. I'm glad I got a B at least. I did well on the 3 papers, but the C for my coursework let me down. I wasn't very happy with that, because I didn't think I did that badly, but I didn't want to risk paying £20 to have it remarked- the same applies for ICT. Oh well it's over now. The thing is that at GCSE all the subjects matter, however many you take, but then when it gets to AS or A2, it's better, because even though the workload is much heavier, I believe it's manageable, but that depends on each person.

Sorry lol that was long :biggrin: good luck though!! what are you taking?
Original post by sue99
To be completely honest, the subjects I did get A*s in I loved (Maths, English Language, English Lit, German, Spanish, Chemistry, Physics), so my passion and enjoyment of the subject helped give me the motivation - and they were also quite logical subjects. The subjects I got As in weren't very important to me so I didn't do as well - they were too content-based and not very maths or logic-based (Biology and RS). And finally, the subjects I got Bs in (History and ICT) were hell for me and I pretty much regretted taking them soon after I chose them, in Year 10. But it was too late and I wanted to give myself the opportunity to try my very best in subjects I didn't particularly enjoy. I enjoyed ICT more than History, but our teachers really messed up our coursework, and because I didn't do very well in that, and it counted for 60% of the final grade, I ended up getting a B. I liked History because it was interesting to me, but I didn't have the knack of writing long essays under extreme pressure and linking reasons and all that, so I struggled. I'm glad I got a B at least. I did well on the 3 papers, but the C for my coursework let me down. I wasn't very happy with that, because I didn't think I did that badly, but I didn't want to risk paying £20 to have it remarked- the same applies for ICT. Oh well it's over now. The thing is that at GCSE all the subjects matter, however many you take, but then when it gets to AS or A2, it's better, because even though the workload is much heavier, I believe it's manageable, but that depends on each person.

Sorry lol that was long :biggrin: good luck though!! what are you taking?

It's ok you have amazing grades though: I'm taking computer science, history (which I hate) and business
If you fail to get As in your GCSEs, that just means your school is bad, or the environment doesn't work. You'll probably do them again in your free time and get nearly 100%. They're a piece of piss once you're outside the school bubble.

Even so, it's not like you need GCSEs for anything. Not that I can think of.
Reply 273
It's ok you have amazing grades though: I'm taking computer science, history (which I hate) and business

Thank you! I wanted 11 A*s but knew I couldn't because of History - I would have needed a miracle for that to happen!!
Ahh I wish I'd taken Computer Science really - the Computer Science teachers, content and coursework were better at my old school (I changed for Sixth Form); I would have also been able to ask for help at home because my dad did programming at uni and my cousin is doing it now at uni. Lol history the biggest joke ;-) the main thing is content - there's just so much to learn - making a timeline is useful, as one of my friends did, and she got an A*. apparently she used 12 sheets of A3 paper for one unit!! I was going to do this but really couldn't be bothered to. I can't be much help for Business Studies, but a good number of my best friends took it and they listened to the news and did extra research, like the economic status and mostly just used common sense, or so it sounded to me! :smile:
Reply 274
Original post by Neverdie
If you fail to get As in your GCSEs, that just means your school is bad, or the environment doesn't work. You'll probably do them again in your free time and get nearly 100%. They're a piece of piss once you're outside the school bubble.

Even so, it's not like you need GCSEs for anything. Not that I can think of.

You must be joking ...
You need qualifications for a good life at the very least
Original post by sue99
Thank you! I wanted 11 A*s but knew I couldn't because of History - I would have needed a miracle for that to happen!!
Ahh I wish I'd taken Computer Science really - the Computer Science teachers, content and coursework were better at my old school (I changed for Sixth Form); I would have also been able to ask for help at home because my dad did programming at uni and my cousin is doing it now at uni. Lol history the biggest joke ;-) the main thing is content - there's just so much to learn - making a timeline is useful, as one of my friends did, and she got an A*. apparently she used 12 sheets of A3 paper for one unit!! I was going to do this but really couldn't be bothered to. I can't be much help for Business Studies, but a good number of my best friends took it and they listened to the news and did extra research, like the economic status and mostly just used common sense, or so it sounded to me! :smile:

Yeah true thanks for your help though!! :smile:
Original post by sue99
You must be joking ...
You need qualifications for a good life at the very least

Not necessarily, but jobs that do require some qualification require a bit more than just GCSEs. You might see the odd retail job or so that will have it on their job advert, but that's rare and usually still not a requirement, as those are entry level jobs anyway. And I mean come on, it's GCSEs.
6 a*s and 4 as
3A*'s, 5A's, 3B's, 2C's and a Distinction*
Reply 279
Original post by Neverdie
Not necessarily, but jobs that do require some qualification require a bit more than just GCSEs. You might see the odd retail job or so that will have it on their job advert, but that's rare and usually still not a requirement, as those are entry level jobs anyway. And I mean come on, it's GCSEs.

If you're saying you need more than GCSEs, then surely you need to have GCSEs before you go to AS, A2, BTEC, college etc. ?!

Quick Reply

Latest