The Student Room Group

VIPs (Visually Impaired People)

Hi, as a lot of you are aware, I am blind so therefore need to use the computer with special audible screen reader software, I'd just like folk to know whatever their disability they can still contribute to society, I was told a while ago that I was useless and should be killed because I am "not a complete person". Yes it upset me because like a fool I took it to heart, I got so low I tried to kill myself. Now I'm better and I just want to help folk, if anyone has any questions re `Computing for Blind People` or `Accessibility Software` then hey just ask.

Look at the ABILITIES not the DISABILITIES!
Original post by gustheguidedog
x

Hello there!

Welcome to The Student Room :smile: it's great to have you here! I was trying to find a thread I had read before which contained tonnes of useful tips on how to use TSR with accessibility in mind, but I cannot for the life of me seem to find it. I'll definitely let you know if and/or when I do!

I'm really sorry that someone has said such a disgusting thing to you, simply because you are blind. That's terrible and I hope for it to never happen again. You are as complete as anyone. Fact. Thank you for volunteering such useful advice! I would like to ask one thing:

How do you find The Student Room in terms of accessibility? i.e. how well does your screen reader cope with The Student Room?

If you need any help or would like a chat, give me a shout! Always here to help :smile:

Ethan
Hi Ethan, many thanks for your reply, TSR is not the best site in regards of Accessibility for instance it took quite a while to discover how to `Start a New Thread`, whilst I know how to use technology it would have been great to be told "How to use the FORUMS" on let's say for arguments sake the Welcome room I know most folk don't read T&Cs or How to things, I feel it would be better for folk if they were in a more appealing format, look at my website if you would like me to build a banner to make things a bit more visually stimulating let me know http://paulastoker.wix.com/animatedadverts
Hi Ethan, many thanks for your reply, TSR is not the best site in regards of Accessibility for instance it took quite a while to discover how to `Start a New Thread`, whilst I know how to use technology it would have been great to be told "How to use the FORUMS" on let's say for arguments sake the Welcome room I know most folk don't read T&Cs or How to things, I feel it would be better for folk if they were in a more appealing format, look at my website if you would like me to build a banner to make things a bit more visually stimulating let me know http://paulastoker.wix.com/animatedadverts

Hiya,

Thank you for such a detailed response! I can't do anything myself as I simply work in the section to keep things clean but I'm sure the dev team will see this :yep: I'm very sure making the site more accessible will be something which can be looked at to a certain degree. Is there anything you'd like me to try and clear up for you? :smile:

Ethan
Hi,

I'm sure there was a user (whose name I've forgotten, sorry) who made a thread some time ago asking how to use the forum as a blind person and was talked through it.

Thankfully, I do have enough vision (I'm partially sighted due to inheriting a rare optic nerve defect which has caused a problem with the eye muscles) to access the forums.
Hi, as a lot of you are aware, I am blind so therefore need to use the computer with special audible screen reader software, I'd just like folk to know whatever their disability they can still contribute to society, I was told a while ago that I was useless and should be killed because I am "not a complete person". Yes it upset me because like a fool I took it to heart, I got so low I tried to kill myself. Now I'm better and I just want to help folk, if anyone has any questions re `Computing for Blind People` or `Accessibility Software` then hey just ask.

Look at the ABILITIES not the DISABILITIES!

Welcome. I hope you're able to navigate or get around somehow of this site. It's been an invaluable tool for the last 10yrs plus. Can I ask what brings you here? Are you looking to study or work at this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Quiet One yes I have started doing the Marketing course (Shaw Academy) Ultimately I want to be able to market the web banners / ads that we build at our Blind Club check out the examples tab on http://paulastoker.wix.com/animatedadverts

And now one for the Mathematicians amongst you:- If 666 is considered to represent Evil
Does that make 258,069,758 the root of all evil?

Original post by Quiet _One86
Welcome. I hope you're able to navigate or get around somehow of this site. It's been an invaluable tool for the last 10yrs plus. Can I ask what brings you here? Are you looking to study or work at this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that make 258,069,758 the root of all evil?

No, that's religion :wink:
Original post by Riyad Mahrez
No, that's religion :wink:

Sorry mate What is religion?
Original post by iEthan
Hiya,

Thank you for such a detailed response! I can't do anything myself as I simply work in the section to keep things clean but I'm sure the dev team will see this :yep: I'm very sure making the site more accessible will be something which can be looked at to a certain degree. Is there anything you'd like me to try and clear up for you? :smile:

Ethan

Ethan was this the section for Disabled folk you referred to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=277
Ethan was this the section for Disabled folk you referred to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=277

Hiya,

That is our section for Disabled Students, but I was talking about the same thing @Tiger Rag was talking about. There was a thread in which there was lots of help and guidance for blind users and I simply cannot find it. I will keep looking for you!

Ethan
Sorry mate What is religion?

:confused:

You don't know what religion is?

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
Original post by iEthan
Hiya,

That is our section for Disabled Students, but I was talking about the same thing @Tiger Rag was talking about. There was a thread in which there was lots of help and guidance for blind users and I simply cannot find it. I will keep looking for you!

Ethan

Thanks Ethan
Original post by Riyad Mahrez
:confused:

You don't know what religion is?

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Sorry my friend I misunderstood I thought you were saying Religion was the root cause of me being told I was "not a complete person" because of my visual impairment
Sorry my friend I misunderstood I thought you were saying Religion was the root cause of me being told I was "not a complete person" because of my visual impairment

It's ok mate, nah I wasn't saying that.

Quick Reply

Latest