The Student Room Group

Care? Moving out? or stay at home?

I've been in conflict with my parents for ages now. I always get blamed when the family argues. They tried to get me and my boyfriend to split up but it hasn't worked. They've read through months worth of messages and they track where i am using my phone but then get really annoyed when i turn my location off. They've said some horrible things and call me names which is really immature. They keep threatening to put me in care and say its all my fault. I think we're speaking with social services next week but i really dont want to be in the house anymore... anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
Are you giving us the whole story? You've made your parents sound over-bearing and rather aggressive; have you done anything to antagonize them?
Has this boyfriend of yours done anything to upset your parents?
Reply 2
You can turn tracking off and claim your phone was low on battery so you turned it off.
But i digress
Reply 3
Original post by Leftee
Are you giving us the whole story? You've made your parents sound over-bearing and rather aggressive; have you done anything to antagonize them?
Has this boyfriend of yours done anything to upset your parents?

They're not physically agressive but they are very in control lets say. They have read messages completely out of context and come up with the idea that he is emotionally abusive which is completely not the case! they say they want me to well and then tell me im going to be living in a council flat and working in poundland? Surely theyre being emotionally abusive by isolating me from my friends by stopping all of my internet and stuff ect?
Reply 4
Original post by GUMI
You can turn tracking off and claim your phone was low on battery so you turned it off.
But i digress

yeah ive tried all of the excuses i can think of! they still get angry
Reply 5
Original post by Georgia2261
They're not physically agressive but they are very in control lets say. They have read messages completely out of context and come up with the idea that he is emotionally abusive which is completely not the case! they say they want me to well and then tell me im going to be living in a council flat and working in poundland? Surely theyre being emotionally abusive by isolating me from my friends by stopping all of my internet and stuff ect?

I know it's hard to see it but your parents just want what's best for you & are doing what they think is right. I'm not condoning their methods of punishment but clearly they disapprove of the company you keep, and there must be a reason for that. Is your boyfriend a good guy? Does he take drugs? Is he doing well in school?
Reply 6
Original post by Leftee
I know it's hard to see it but your parents just want what's best for you & are doing what they think is right. I'm not condoning their methods of punishment but clearly they disapprove of the company you keep, and there must be a reason for that. Is your boyfriend a good guy? Does he take drugs? Is he doing well in school?

He's been an amazing help with getting my diabetes under control and they were fine with him for 15 months before just not now. He did well in his GCSE's and now has an engineering job, no he does not do drugs or smoke and he very, very rarely drink and when he does its not to excess.
I think im speaking to a social worker tomorrow i just dont know what theyre going to say...
Reply 7
Original post by Georgia2261
He's been an amazing help with getting my diabetes under control and they were fine with him for 15 months before just not now. He did well in his GCSE's and now has an engineering job, no he does not do drugs or smoke and he very, very rarely drink and when he does its not to excess.
I think im speaking to a social worker tomorrow i just dont know what theyre going to say...

Well if he has been an emotionally supportive boyfriend; doesn't engage in any form of substance abuse and has a job, I don't see why your parents would act the way they are.

I can only assume they want you to excel in your studies and anything that could distract you from that, they frown upon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending