The Student Room Group

13th Apr: What do you think is the best age to have kids?

Scroll to see replies

It really depends person to person.
I'd say Mid-to-late 20's would be the earliest I would even consider having kids. I want to finish education to a high level, and get a career before I consider it.
It depends on the couple's level of maturity, whether the couple like children and various other factors like financial security to assess whether a couple is ready for children. Generally, I think most people below 16 years old are not ready to be parents, but from then on, some are ready to be parents quite early (late teens to twenties), some in their late thirties or fourties and others will never be ready. I think I belong to the latter group.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
23 or so would be a good age. I have some issues of my own, so the longer I waited, the more learning difficulties and such my offspring would be likely to have. It seems pretty strange to me that anything younger than 30 is 'too young' these days. Biologically, it is the best time
if i were to have kids i'd wait till 27/28. (kinda late i guess..)
Purely because by then i'd hopefully have some kinda stable career and have enough finances to support a family.

Currently though, i'm not interested in having kids anytime soon and i turn 20 in afew months. Plus the fact I still feel like i have no material instinct !
Original post by imokin
23 or so would be a good age. I have some issues of my own, so the longer I waited, the more learning difficulties and such my offspring would be likely to have. It seems pretty strange to me that anything younger than 30 is 'too young' these days. Biologically, it is the best time

But keep in mind that the majority of these people are still studying at a university. I know hardly people who have a job in age of 23, so not an income as an essential basis of existence. That is a reasonable consideration of having kids or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm 28, starting uni this year. I had my daughter at 25 and she's awesome! I think it's a perfect time, if only I had been to Uni in my teens, I wouldn't be going to uni now if I had done it earlier.
27 or 28. Anyhting above that is too old. Anything below that is too young for the first child.
Original post by Trapz99
27 or 28. Anyhting above that is too old. Anything below that is too young for the first child.

A 29 year old is too old to become a mother? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackdiamond97
A 29 year old is too old to become a mother? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just my opinion.
Original post by Trapz99

How is anyone below 27 too young to have a child? I can understand an 18 or even 20 year old but someone whose 25?
Also you are basically saying one must have a child within a year or so. You do realise that it's not always possible? Some doctors won't even help those trying to conceive for less than two years because it's too short of a time never mind a year. And what about those who want more than 1 child?

What you said is pretty difficult to comprehend. I know it's your personal opinion but wtf?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
How is anyone below 27 too young to have a child? I can understand an 18 or even 20 year old but someone whose 25?
(...)

Some people are even able to raise children with 18 or 20 years, although I don't know one person in my circle of family or friends. But I know people who are never be able to raise them, no matter how old they are. It is always so different.
Original post by Trapz99
That's just my opinion.

Fair enough, can I ask why?
I'm 16, and far from even the thought of having kids... but I'd say about 27 years+ would be good. Like you've done uni or whatever, and most probably have a stable job by then, so you can support them.

FOOL PROOF PLAN.
I'm 15 and definitely not planning on having kids anytime soon! However, I would like to have a family at some point in my life; I think the best ages are 28-38.
Whenever you are financially stable.

When will people learn... Secure financial position should be your #1 consideration before having kids.

(Just FYI my mother was a v young parent)
For me, personally, around the age of 30-34. I'd want to settle down and delay the stress and responsibilities that come with having a child. Definitely before I'm 35, though.

Don't know how much my parents and husband would agree with that...
Wow! I cannot imagine, as a girl, having kids younger than 30 at least! I understand its peoples personal preferences but it makes me feel under pressure. I just want to do both, live my life and have children.
Original post by Chaz W
Whenever you are financially stable.

When will people learn... Secure financial position should be your #1 consideration before having kids.

(Just FYI my mother was a v young parent)

Out of curiosity what would you say is a secure financial position?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending