The Student Room Group

Sixth form wont give us study leave...

So my sixth form has decided not to give the year group any study leave for our AS and A2 exams this year. They've never really given us much independence as they don't even let us study at home in our free periods. I find it hard to revise in the school environment. What would you do in this situation?

Scroll to see replies

Take days off, or try and get a petition going. But the former is more likely to happen!
Original post by AlexHarris123
So my sixth form has decided not to give the year group any study leave for our AS and A2 exams this year. They've never really given us much independence as they don't even let us study at home in our free periods. I find it hard to revise in the school environment. What would you do in this situation?

I don't get study leave either. I'm quite appreciative of lessons, but like you I find it hard to revise in college for my (many) free periods. :redface:
Have you tried to talk to your head of year, or someone with the remit to authorise your absence for study leave? I'm afraid that if you do have lessons they may well refuse your request though. :s-smilie:
Do a quiet petition and then talk to the headmaster , preferably with the support of some of yur teachers otherwise just lump it.
There are quite a few sixth forms that do this. You just have to deal with it. You can try writing a letter to the Head but I doubt they will change their minds. That's life my friend...

Your only option is to be sick for a while
whats your defintion of study leave ? having a week/s before exams start to revise, or the ability to stay at home exam period and come in for exams only, or longer if you wish ?
I would personally just take days off
Reply 7
So you have to go to school the days between your exams?

If you work better at home, then work at home. Attend when you feel you can, but your grade is the most important thing and the one which will get you into higher education
Just go on your own study leave. My school did that to us last year and I just went on my own study leave. If your school rings up and asks just say you fell down the stairs and broke your legs or something.
Schools don't have to give you study leave if they chose not to. If you work better from home, though, then take a couple of days off here and there and study from home. I'm sure they have a reason for doing this. There may be other students who just aren't putting the work in at home like they should be, so they need to be kept in to make sure they ARE doing the work and getting the grades and unfortunately it has to be one rule for all...
I'm taking a few days off if needed.
Just say that you are sick or something.
A lot schools don't get study leave so you'll just have to deal with it.
I have moaned far too much about it and they won't make exceptions for anyone in my school. You either have to deal with it or say that you are sick and stay off school.
Reply 11

Take your own exam leave.
:biggrin:
Original post by Science_help
whats your defintion of study leave ? having a week/s before exams start to revise, or the ability to stay at home exam period and come in for exams only, or longer if you wish ?

My definition would be about a week before the exam to start revising and over the exam period as well.
My sixth form isn't giving us study leave either. Personally, I'm going to pick and choose when to come in when exam period comes around. I live about an hour on bus from my sixth form and I waste a lot of potential revision time travelling, so I'm only going to go into lessons when I feel like I need to

Just take your own study leave and if they ask where you are say
that you have chicken pox. #thuglife

same here

why would i go all the way home and back to school just to study at home????

pls stop complaining it's not that bad
Original post by thefatone
same here

why would i go all the way home and back to school just to study at home????

pls stop complaining it's not that bad

You have to understand, for certain people studying in school would be a no way.
I personally have tried to study at school, but there are way too many distractions, going home is the easy way.

Also certain people live close to home, so distance/time to reach home shouldnt be a big issue.

Non the less, my school has allowed us no time off school before exams finish but during exams we are free to stay at home, however my last exam in M1 which is like 11 days after eveyone else in the year finishes exams exept for the 10-15 people in my M1 class, so we have to come back a week before our M1 exam, but were planning to be 'ill' anywya :biggrin:
Just don't come to college/sixth form especially if you feel like you can't concentrate there.
Original post by Science_help
You have to understand, for certain people studying in school would be a no way.
I personally have tried to study at school, but there are way too many distractions, going home is the easy way.

Also certain people live close to home, so distance/time to reach home shouldnt be a big issue.

Non the less, my school has allowed us no time off school before exams finish but during exams we are free to stay at home, however my last exam in M1 which is like 11 days after eveyone else in the year finishes exams exept for the 10-15 people in my M1 class, so we have to come back a week before our M1 exam, but were planning to be 'ill' anywya :biggrin:

why? what reason???

personally i would allow going home provided you're on time for lessons, if not then ppl should be kept in school
Your school is so bad. I thought my school was crap but I found a winning opponent.

Quick Reply

Latest