The Student Room Group

Need help (revision)

Okay. So theres like 3 weeks till my first exam (GCSEs) and i havent done MUCH revision. Ive done bits here and there. Most of my subject grades vary between As to Cs. Do you think these three weeks +exam season is enough? How many hours would you recommend a day to revise? Triple science is a pain in the a#$
Original post by Ruhail25
Okay. So theres like 3 weeks till my first exam (GCSEs) and i havent done MUCH revision. Ive done bits here and there. Most of my subject grades vary between As to Cs. Do you think these three weeks +exam season is enough? How many hours would you recommend a day to revise? Triple science is a pain in the a#$

It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't enough because it's all you've got to work with. It's difficult to advise you as we don't know how quickly you learn, but at this point you just need to work to the best of your ability given the time you've got.

My best advice would be to do a couple of hours then have a break (watch tv, eat, nap, whatever) but make sure you set an alarm for about 30 minutes, then go back to revision. Make sure that you're not working for hours and hours without a break as you won't be taking in as much information, there are very very few people who can do 12 hour revision sessions and retain that information. If you find yourself getting bored, change to a different subject or topic and come back to that one later. Make sure you have a variety of learning methods (flashcards, note summaries, youtube videos, test questions etc). You should definitely be doing past papers at this stage too.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't enough because it's all you've got to work with. It's difficult to advise you as we don't know how quickly you learn, but at this point you just need to work to the best of your ability given the time you've got.

My best advice would be to do a couple of hours then have a break (watch tv, eat, nap, whatever) but make sure you set an alarm for about 30 minutes, then go back to revision. Make sure that you're not working for hours and hours without a break as you won't be taking in as much information, there are very very few people who can do 12 hour revision sessions and retain that information. If you find yourself getting bored, change to a different subject or topic and come back to that one later. Make sure you have a variety of learning methods (flashcards, note summaries, youtube videos, test questions etc). You should definitely be doing past papers at this stage too.

Yeah i learn quite quick but thanks for the advise! Will defo try to do different methods.. do you think ive started way too late though?
Original post by Ruhail25
Yeah i learn quite quick but thanks for the advise! Will defo try to do different methods.. do you think ive started way too late though?

It's impossible to say if you've started too late, I know people who got all A's and A*'s without doing any revision at all, and I know people who did hours and hours every day for months and still did averagely. It comes down to your own personality and how effective the revision you're doing actually is, and also making sure that you give the time to the subjects/topics you're struggling with and don't waste time going over things you already know.

Quick Reply

Latest