The Student Room Group

National Union of Students elects Malia Bouattia as president.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Venusian Visitor
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/feb/10/gcse-results-ethnicity-school-meals
"Every group, apart from those from traveller, Gypsy or Roma families, performed better than white, British-born children."

So when both whites and blacks are poor they do as bad as each other in education, in fact whites do worse. Therefore there goes your claim that other races don't suffer from the effects of poverty. I also notice that you fail to mention what I said about the GDPs of Trinidad and Poland. Poland sucks because it's been war-torn for years and under Communist occupation. Nothing much has happened in Trinidad. Again showing that when whites are in a bad situation they do worse than blacks.

As for the sickle cell and prostate cancer stuff you're still failing to to realize that the blacks in the West only represent a small fraction of the black race from West Africa. Medical stats on UK blacks are not applicable to all blacks.

I can't help you. Sorry, I just can't. I honestly don't know how to, you want to compare Poland with Trinidad and Tobago, we could, you want to talk about a select narrow spectrum of academia within the UK, we could do that also.

But it would be pointless, you are bias, you have the answer before you go looking for the facts, you will inevitably find things on the internet to support it. For example; if I debunked any or all of these examples as evidence of your belief, how would your position change?

Be honest, it wouldn't. And I wouldn't expect you to even realize or accept the invalidity of your evidence when/if I provided it, this is in the truest terms, intellectual tennis without a net.
Original post by Happy97
How about this one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3549948/NUS-elects-president-refuses-condemn-ISIS-calls-Birmingham-University-Zionist-outpost.html

Or this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/malia-bouattia-elected-nus-president-after-causing-controversy/

This articles are based on allegations and have no true substance in them. And you know what, it's alright isn't it, as long as they're attacking 'Muslims'. Bloody Hypocrites.

Now where's your evidence?

Is this the right wing media too?
Original post by Happy97
Being against the systemic human right abuses committed by the government of Israel does not make a person anti-Semitic, it makes them human. Being against a certain political ideology, Zionism in this case, doesn't make her an anti-Semitic. If that was true than the same can be said about the thousands of orthodox Jews who are also against Zionism, which is an oxymoron. I've never seen a single shred of evidence of Malia Bouattia being anti-Semitic in any way whatsoever as I read articles about her over the past few days.

What is disgusting and racist though, is the shameless and unhinged attacks right-wing media has been making against Malia Bouttia solely because of her faith.

Firstly, it is not racist to criticise Malia for her beliefs. It's racist to do so based on her 'race'. Secondly, criticism of Israel's policies is not necessarily anti-Semitic. But rarely are the motivations for these criticisms backed by evidence and instead are fuelled by a dislike for Judaism or the Jews. It's fair to say that it is identical to Muslims claiming that criticism of their faith or beliefs is Islamophobic (which is incidentally what you are trying to suggest). Finally, denouncing Islamic State has little to do with Israel. Why, then, is she unable to do so? Does she feel it goes against her Islamic views to do so?

I'd also like to add a side note here (and this is not a personal attack): the level of ignorance about Zionism amongst much of the Western public and audience is quite shocking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JezWeCan!
Well she is clearly going to deny she is an anti semite! :smile:

The video posted on this thread was utterly devastating to her reputation vis a vis any decent, right thinking person. Have you watched it??

If you have you will know that In it she denounces "peace talks" (she even says the phrase with a palpable sneer) and advocates terrorism to topple the "colonialist" Zionist State. She calls it "armed resistance" not terrorism.

She is clearly going to deny she supports terrorism.

What does that "armed resistance" mean in practice?

Crazed hate filled Palestinians knifing random Israeli citizens. What else can it mean?

Support for the terrorist organisations, Hamas and Hizbollah who murder Israeli citizens just because they are Jews. . What else can it mean?

That video, her own words, demonstrate that she is utterly unsuitable to have the position she does and brings it, and all the UK students (it purports to represent) into serious disrepute.

The only way forward is for individual SU's to disaffiliate. It is already happening, as others have said on this thread. I encourage all civilised, decent people, who abhor terrorism, to follow this lead and support disaffiliation also.

All of this. No civilised person could possibly defend her.
Original post by anarchism101
Palestinian militants (who, in contrast to Israeli forces, are neither a single force nor centrally directed from above) lack the resources or capacity to employ such tactics, rendering the question of whether they are 'allowed' to use them redundant.

It's precisely the tactic used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-weapons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket

The Nazis fired a bit over 10,000 rockets, the Palestinians a bit less than 9,000.

Britain's response to this was to devastate all German cities until they surrendered without condition, making way for execution of their leadership, outlawing of their state ideology, and reconstruction as an Anglo-American satellite. Justified or not? If once, why not twice? I don't see the difference.

I have to say I tried a few times to give a meaningful response here, but I can't quite capture the sheer ridiculousness of what you just said.

It's as ridiculous as to say that supporting the Nazis didn't become OK in 1945 because the Nazis became too weak to put their genocide and world conquest plans into practice. It's the idea that's the thing, not the means.
Original post by Happy97
The key word being 'allegedly', there's no proof she actually said these things. The claim that she conflated Zionists and Jews together might have been totally fabricated as an attempt to besmirch her character. How do you know this isn't part of a wider smear-campaign to force her to resign before she even started her job? My evidence supports this theory but your evidence is based on unverified allegations. It is blatantly obvious that some parts of the media are desperately trying to peddle an anti-Muslim narrative and this story fits nicely into that.

I might change my mind if you prove me wrong by providing good solid evidence that no one can deny.

I'm quite enjoying you conflating criticism of somebody who supports terrorism with criticism of Muslims. You seem upset that a terrorist supporter is being criticised and you plainly see it as unfair that the media is attacking a terrorist supporting antisemite.

You lot aren't the victims in this. This tinfoil hat conspiracy theory of the media having it in for you as a delusion a lot of Muslims seem to have but it's just a delusion, I'm afraid. Just because they attack this NUS president, it doesn't mean there's an anti-Muslim agenda at work here. Just an a anti-terrorism and anti-Jew-hating one. Unless of course you see condemnation of terrorist supporters as the same thing as condensation of regular Muslims, which you obviously do.......:wink:
Judea Declares War Against Malia Bouattia

If they can turn us against Germany they should be able to get rid of some Black Muslim
Original post by Happy97
The key word being 'allegedly', there's no proof she actually said these things. The claim that she conflated Zionists and Jews together might have been totally fabricated as an attempt to besmirch her character. How do you know this isn't part of a wider smear-campaign to force her to resign before she even started her job?

It was in a co-written blog post (discussed here). She hasn't come out saying it was fabricated.

I don't actually think she's an anti-semite (unlike some others commenting on this issue). However, I am wary of the NUS electing someone who has been careless in their language/approach at a time when anti-semitism is on the rise, particularly when the NUS hypocritically cracks down on any hint of dodgy language when it involves other minorities (with their "safe spaces" and so on).

My evidence supports this theory but your evidence is based on unverified allegations. It is blatantly obvious that some parts of the media are desperately trying to peddle an anti-Muslim narrative and this story fits nicely into that.

You've just linked to articles reporting what she has said/written/people's concerns. You've not provided evidence of the media attacking her solely on the basis of her faith. This has also been reported in the left-wing media.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aceadria
Firstly, it is not racist to criticise Malia for her beliefs. It's racist to do so based on her 'race'. Secondly, criticism of Israel's policies is not necessarily anti-Semitic. But rarely are the motivations for these criticisms backed by evidence and instead are fuelled by a dislike for Judaism or the Jews. It's fair to say that it is identical to Muslims claiming that criticism of their faith or beliefs is Islamophobic (which is incidentally what you are trying to suggest). Finally, denouncing Islamic State has little to do with Israel. Why, then, is she unable to do so? Does she feel it goes against her Islamic views to do so?

I'd also like to add a side note here (and this is not a personal attack): the level of ignorance about Zionism amongst much of the Western public and audience is quite shocking.

Mate, if she wasn't a Muslim there wouldn't be a right-wing media witch-hunt against her. What she might or might not have said about Jews is irrelevant, the truth of the matter is Malia Bouattia is being attacked because of her religious background. It cannot be denied that there are elements in the media who are blatantly Islamophobic and wish to paint all Muslims with the same brush e.g. Rupert Murdoch.

I'm not for or against Malia Bouattia, nevertheless as a Muslim I refuse to believe the media is objective and neutral when it comes to Muslims. Right-wing media is free to criticise my religion however they seem too busy focusing on painting Muslims as a 'fifth column' who are intent on destroying Europe. A considerable chunk of the media wants to polarise society into 'us' and 'them'. Sadly, a lot of people have fallen for this nonsense and this is why you see movements such as Pegida, who sincerely believe Europe is being invaded by migrants/refugees.

This scaremongering tactic is being deployed to distract the masses from harsh economic realities and the only real winners are the top elites (Bankers, Politicians, Wall-street) and ISIS. Yes, ISIS. This is because they rely on Muslims being victimised so that they can gain new followers i.e. Radicalised youngsters.

Secondly, ISIS are an extremist group who use the religion of Islam to further their own selfish agendas and do not represent Muslims at all. In fact, they label Muslims as non-Muslims and murder them if they do not subscribe to their sadistic interpretations of the Quran. Muslims all around the world have denounced them repeatedly, but you won't see this on mainstream media. I wonder why? :colonhash:

Regarding the motion, Malia Bouattia has condemned ISIS on many occasions but did not vote since she was against the wordings of the motion. I don't agree with her in this particular case but right wing media has portrayed this action of hers as a 'refusal to condemn IS' , Funnily enough you seem to think she did this because of her 'Islamic views'

When Muslims are slandered on the media it is called 'Freedom of speech'. On the other hand, if a person criticises Israel they are at risk of being jailed and labelled as 'anti-Semitic' or as a 'terrorist sympathiser'. Unfortunately, double standards have become the norm within the media and Muslims have become fair game.
For the sake of fairness I'd like to see the differences between the motion she rejected and the alternative that was later accepted.
Original post by Unkempt_One
For the sake of fairness I'd like to see the differences between the motion she rejected and the alternative that was later accepted.

Yes I was wondering about this too. On what basis exactly did she reject the original motion while accepting the latter?
Original post by Unkempt_One

Original post by KimKallstrom
Yes I was wondering about this too. On what basis exactly did she reject the original motion while accepting the latter?

Well, here is the rejected motion:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u02m-DH4Gbe5LeCL2GFrr59oIXEYexDsjx2EKB7DCSI/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Notice that it specifically criticises the US intervention.

The passed motion is here:

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/resources/reports/426-national-union-of-students-votes-to-oppose-us-and-uk-military-intervention-in-iraq-and-syria

It gives with the right hand, while taking away with the left, of course, by condemning the western allies ate the same time, and condemning Islamophobia (undefined).
Original post by Good bloke
Well, here is the rejected motion:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u02m-DH4Gbe5LeCL2GFrr59oIXEYexDsjx2EKB7DCSI/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Notice that it specifically criticises the US intervention.

The passed motion is here:

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/resources/reports/426-national-union-of-students-votes-to-oppose-us-and-uk-military-intervention-in-iraq-and-syria

It gives with the right hand, while taking away with the left, of course, by condemning the western allies ate the same time, and condemning Islamophobia (undefined).

It seems that the main difference in the two is that the second heaps more blame on The West and states that among the victims in all of this are British Muslims and the British govrnment is to blame for this.

So this person refused to ratify the motion on the above features were added. It is not enough to condemn ISIS. You cannot condemn ISIS without also condemning The West to a similar extent. NUS gonna NUS. Complete liabilities.
Reply 133
I've been following this debate for a long time, not wanting to get involved because I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim and because I think the NUS is pretty much an irrelevance to my life as a student. But I think it's worth adding a post because I think some people conflate things that aren't always the same.

There are four concepts that matter here:

1. Being against militant Zionism
2. Being against Zionism
3. Supporting terrorism
4. Denying or downplaying the Holocaust

The first of these is uncontroversial. Militant Zionists are those who settle lands not recognised by the international community as part of Israel. They are, in effect, stealing the Palestinians' homeland. This is clearly unacceptable to most people, including 99% of Jews, even most Israelis.

The second is a legitimate opinion, albeit one that flies in the face of international law and archeological evidence. Zionism is simply the belief that the state of Israel has the right to exist, with its borders as at 1967, on land inhabited by the Jewish people for at least 3000 years (archeologists have found the remains of synagogues dating back more than three millennia there).

The third, which Bouattia has done, is in my view absolutely out of order. She has called for 'armed resistance' by Palestinians and refused to condemn ISIS. If one student is emboldened by her actions to join ISIS or give money to a terrorist group, she should be held responsible for her contribution to the resulting deaths.

The fourth thing she hasn't done so far as I'm aware, but someone else did it and hasn't been condemned. It's a small step from 'there's nothing unique about the Holocaust - we should focus more on other atrocities, despite the fact that they killed a tiny fraction of the number of people' to 'there's a Jewish conspiracy in the media and academia to overstate the significance of the Holocaust' or even 'those pesky Jews made it all up.'

Though I'm not Jewish, my girlfriend is, and it's an unspoken understanding between us that we'll get engaged this summer when she finishes her degree and married two years later when I complete mine. As with most Jews, family is very important to her and I've met most of her extended family. You need go back only two generations to find grandparents who grew up as orphans or in poverty and suffered huge losses of close relations because of the Pogrom. Her parents and grandparents have family keepsakes representing people who died through overwork in the ghettoes, of starvation or disease on forced migrations or in the gas chambers. And a couple of generations earlier, something similar happened with the expulsion of Jews from the Russian countryside. Some moved to the US or UK, but many moved to Poland and other parts of Europe where their descendants were persecuted again when Hitler came to power.

Given this history, I don't think it's surprising that it's really important to most Jews that the full horror of the Holocaust is recognised and that the world preserves the right of Israel to exist. Even if most never visit it, let alone live there, they want to know it exists as a place of last refuge if things get really bad. And when Muslim terrorists targeted Jews in Paris recently, some Parisian Jews relocated to Israel, as is every Jew's birthright.

Hearing anyone, especially someone with power and influence among students and Muslims, challenging Zionism, supporting those who commit terrorist acts against Israeli Jews and refusing to condemn ISIS or a motion opposing the marking of Holocaust Memorial Day, is deeply offensive to most Jews, as well as people like me who love Jewish people. My girlfriend is an amazing person and her family are some of the warmest, most welcoming and most generous people I've been privileged to meet, in part because of their faith and the amazing culture they've grown up in. Ms Bouattia's infantile posturings offend and frighten them. It's not clever or funny, and she should not be in the position she holds.
Where did Bouattia mention Hamas? It certainly wasn't in any of the quotes I've commented on.

She said she supports the armed resistance; currently the only group that fits that description is Hamas.

Yawn, I've been through this a million times on here - no it doesn't, disgusting as it is, and parts of it explicitly contradict such an interpretation. And of course, there's the fact that Hamas' leader himself has said he no longer considers it relevant.

Just because you've "explained" it doesn't mean your explanation was accepted, or valid. If this obscene part of their charter is "irrelevant" (at least, when he's speaking to Western journalists), why don't they amend it? Other Hamas leaders have said it is impossible to amend it for political reasons, which shows the kind of organisation they are if they can't muster enough support to remove a call for racist genocide in their charter

Why is it inherent?

Because in targeting Israelis, Hamas does not seek to target Arab Israelis. They are only interested in killing Jewish Israelis. Say you have a scenario where there's a Hamas terrorist with a rifle; in front of him are two Israeli citizens. One is a Jewish Israeli, the other an Arab Israeli. Which one will he kill? The answer is obvious; the Jewish one. And the only reason he will kill the Jew rather than the Arab is because of his religious/ethnic identity.

That is the true face of Hamas
Original post by Mark19
X

Absolutely superb post mate, I cannot commend you highly enough for a very thoughtful, insightful and incisive contribution. I particularly appreciate how you distinguished the four categories.

In my experience, many people on the student left confuse category 1 and category 2; they think "Zionist" means "far right Israeli settler" or something like that. They don't realise that Zionism is simply the founding ideology of the State of Israel (and which was actually opposed by many religious Jews originally... the people who founded the State of Israel were predominantly socialist atheists and Israel had socialist governments for its first 30 years).

I consider myself a staunch supporter of the State of Israel, I understand why it is so vital that there be at least one place on earth where they could flee if things ever got truly bad again. And I think the Jews have concluded they're not going to let themselves be herded into gas chambers again, now they have nuclear weapons and they will do whatever it takes to survive. Governments around the world also know they risk angering Israel and attracting the attention of the Mossad if they start to harass their Jewish minority.

I also think many on the student left have a very ahistorical understanding of the State of Israel. For many who get their knowledge about it primarily from what other people who are more committed to the subject have told them, they are under a great misapprehension. They think that basically the Jews turned up in landing crafts in 1948, that Europe and the US basically gifted them a state out of guilt for the Holocaust, etc. They don't realise that Jews have lived continuously in the Levant since the BC era, that Jerusalem for example had a Jewish majority in the mid 1800s. Also, that the Jews had to fight for their survival in 1948 and they had little help from Europe or America; most of their arms came through a strange deal with Stalin who allowed them to buy arms from Czechoslovakia most of which were factories still using Third Reich designs. The Jordanian Legion, the best armed and trained Arab military force, was supplied by the British and led by British officers. Royal Air Force patrols got into dogfights with Israeli Air Force Messerchmitts they'd purchased from Czecho.

And of course there's the million or so Middle Eastern Jews from Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Egypt etc who had to leave their homes and move to Israel such that today a majority of Israeli Jews are descended from Middle Eastern Mizrahi Jews.

Anyway, sorry for the short rant. Your post was superb and a cut above what we usually see on here.
Original post by Observatory
It's precisely the tactic used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-weapons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket

The Nazis fired a bit over 10,000 rockets, the Palestinians a bit less than 9,000.

Of hugely different destructive capacities, among other differences.

It's as ridiculous as to say that supporting the Nazis didn't become OK in 1945 because the Nazis became too weak to put their genocide and world conquest plans into practice.

It's ridiculous because you morally equated genocide of millions to the deaths of a handful of people.

The Nazis had already committed genocide by 1945. In fact, most of the Holocaust had happened by late 1943.

It's the idea that's the thing, not the means.

I disagree that it's either; it's about actions. Particularly as what we were discussing was legitimacies of tactics.
Of hugely different destructive capacities, among other differences.

It's ridiculous because you morally equated genocide of millions to the deaths of a handful of people.

The Nazis had already committed genocide by 1945. In fact, most of the Holocaust had happened by late 1943.

I disagree that it's either; it's about actions. Particularly as what we were discussing was legitimacies of tactics.

If one believes Palestine has a right to carpet bomb Israeli cities, one should believe Israel has a right to carpet bomb Palestinian cities. Or one could believe that no one has this right, but doesn't have to respect any such restriction if one's opponent breaches it first. That was our position in WWII.

You seem to believe that Palestine has a right to carpet bomb Israeli cities, but Israel doesn't have a right to carpet bomb Palestinian cities. This means you support genocide of Israelis.

You reply that you don't support genocide of Israelis, because your support for Palestinian carpet bombing of Israel is contingent on it killing relatively few people. I do not find support for killing small but not large numbers of people morally plausible. Either it is acceptable to kill people in certain circumstances on the basis of some military necessity, or it is not acceptable to kill anyone in those circumstances.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Absolutely superb post mate, I cannot commend you highly enough for a very thoughtful, insightful and incisive contribution. I particularly appreciate how you distinguished the four categories.

In my experience, many people on the student left confuse category 1 and category 2; they think "Zionist" means "far right Israeli settler" or something like that. They don't realise that Zionism is simply the founding ideology of the State of Israel (and which was actually opposed by many religious Jews originally... the people who founded the State of Israel were predominantly socialist atheists and Israel had socialist governments for its first 30 years).

I consider myself a staunch supporter of the State of Israel, I understand why it is so vital that there be at least one place on earth where they could flee if things ever got truly bad again. And I think the Jews have concluded they're not going to let themselves be herded into gas chambers again, now they have nuclear weapons and they will do whatever it takes to survive. Governments around the world also know they risk angering Israel and attracting the attention of the Mossad if they start to harass their Jewish minority.

I also think many on the student left have a very ahistorical understanding of the State of Israel. For many who get their knowledge about it primarily from what other people who are more committed to the subject have told them, they are under a great misapprehension. They think that basically the Jews turned up in landing crafts in 1948, that Europe and the US basically gifted them a state out of guilt for the Holocaust, etc. They don't realise that Jews have lived continuously in the Levant since the BC era, that Jerusalem for example had a Jewish majority in the mid 1800s. Also, that the Jews had to fight for their survival in 1948 and they had little help from Europe or America; most of their arms came through a strange deal with Stalin who allowed them to buy arms from Czechoslovakia most of which were factories still using Third Reich designs. The Jordanian Legion, the best armed and trained Arab military force, was supplied by the British and led by British officers. Royal Air Force patrols got into dogfights with Israeli Air Force Messerchmitts they'd purchased from Czecho.

And of course there's the million or so Middle Eastern Jews from Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Egypt etc who had to leave their homes and move to Israel such that today a majority of Israeli Jews are descended from Middle Eastern Mizrahi Jews.

Anyway, sorry for the short rant. Your post was superb and a cut above what we usually see on here.

When people say they are "anti-Zionists", they not saying they are against Israel because of the actions of the Israeli Government at the moment. They're saying they're against the existence of Israel in the first place. So when they try to make out like they wouldn't be against Israel if only they did this, or did that, it's a lie. What Israel does has no bearing on their views of Israel because what they want to see if the destruction of Israel since they don't believe Israel has a right to exist.

So when they go on their little whines, it's hard to take them seriously.
Original post by KimKallstrom
When people say they are "anti-Zionists", they not saying they are against Israel because of the actions of the Israeli Government at the moment. They're saying they're against the existence of Israel in the first place. So when they try to make out like they wouldn't be against Israel if only they did this, or did that, it's a lie. What Israel does has no bearing on their views of Israel because what they want to see if the destruction of Israel since they don't believe Israel has a right to exist.

So when they go on their little whines, it's hard to take them seriously.

It's true that "anti-Zionism" technically means opposition to Israel's existence. But I also think there are many on the student left who think they are anti-Zionists when they're not.

One girl I was speaking to called herself anti-Zionist, but then said she wants to see the two-state solution so both Israel and Palestine can live in peace. Obviously she's under a great misapprehension as to the meaning of "anti-Zionist".

OF course there are also the more sinister factions on the hard left who know exactly what anti-Zionism means and are 100% committed to it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending