The Student Room Group

Surrey or Sheffield for Aerospace engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:frown:

Now I am in doubt again!!

The thing is, I would like to centre more on the space related area, and I think that surrey has a better reputation in it?
Original post by 3enrique
:frown:

Now I am in doubt again!!

The thing is, I would like to centre more on the space related area, and I think that surrey has a better reputation in it?

Surrey as a university does, but it literally has no space related modules until year 4, and even then they're optional so I'm not convinced that their undergraduate degree has the same reputation. On the other hand Sheffield has space modules in year 3 followed by rocketry in year 4, the other modules are also more EEE and systems oriented which is really where the UK space industry lies, whereas Surrey's course seems very mech oriented through years 2 and 3.
Reply 22
Original post by Helloworld_95
Surrey as a university does, but it literally has no space related modules until year 4, and even then they're optional so I'm not convinced that their undergraduate degree has the same reputation. On the other hand Sheffield has space modules in year 3 followed by rocketry in year 4, the other modules are also more EEE and systems oriented which is really where the UK space industry lies, whereas Surrey's course seems very mech oriented through years 2 and 3.

I also saw this. However, I didn't see the rocketry module which you talk about. I would be very interested in this! Could you point me towards where you have seen this?
I also saw this. However, I didn't see the rocketry module which you talk about. I would be very interested in this! Could you point me towards where you have seen this?

It's called MEC435 or AER435 Advanced Aero Propulsion, admittedly it's not just rocketry but also more in depth stuff about jets plus ramjets, scramjets and pulse detonation engines
Reply 24
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's called MEC435 or AER435 Advanced Aero Propulsion, admittedly it's not just rocketry but also more in depth stuff about jets plus ramjets, scramjets and pulse detonation engines

Saw it! Thank you really much! Do you know how thorough and comprehensive this module ist?
Hey, I was in almost exactly the same position as you exactly one month ago... I too have applied to do Aerospace Engineering and was completely stuck for choice between Surrey, Loughborough and Sheffield.... (got offers from all 3 + nottingham)

I was almost certain I wanted to go to Surrey because of the lovely campus and the lecturers, but for me, Loughborough is imo more well known for Engineering and has facilities more well suited (imo) than Surrey. I also loved Sheffield (when I went for the applicant day), they have an amazing new building (I think its called the diamond or something like that), truly world class facilities (in my opinion, since everything was new), flight simulators etc. The only reason I didn't choose Sheffield was simply down to the fact I prefer a more rural campus (I'm from London lol). I chose Loughborough as firm and Surrey as insurance.

Anyway, In my opinion, if you want a really astronautics based aero course, I'd go to Southampton as they seemed very enthusiastic about that side of Aero there. Otherwise personally, I'd go for Sheffield merely because of the excellent resources they have since very recently. Either way, Sheffield or Surrey, I don't think you'd be making a bad decision.Hope this helps :smile:
Saw it! Thank you really much! Do you know how thorough and comprehensive this module ist?

This one seems to be up to date https://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=H4002016
Reply 27
Thank you really much both of you! You have been of great help! So that's Sheffield then!!

Until someone comes here at the last minute.... hahaha
Original post by tripleseven
I also loved Sheffield (when I went for the applicant day), they have an amazing new building (I think its called the diamond or something like that), truly world class facilities (in my opinion, since everything was new), flight simulators etc.

Our engineering faculty has more money than they know what to do with at the moment so yeah we end up with a bunch of cool stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest