The Student Room Group

Major consultation needed for A Levels!

I'm a y12 student about to sit my AS levels. I study English lit, History, Economics and Mathematics, and if I go to a British university I will study law- ideally at Oxford. Should I do A2 Maths, or drop Maths for y13? I'm sort of struggling at the moment, but am in a good place to do well (probably mid A grade) for AS, but I fear for AS. What should I do?!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by AzaSad
I'm a y12 student about to sit my AS levels. I study English lit, History, Economics and Mathematics, and if I go to a British university I will study law- ideally at Oxford. Should I do A2 Maths, or drop Maths for y13? I'm sort of struggling at the moment, but am in a good place to do well (probably mid A grade) for AS, but I fear for AS. What should I do?!

Universities only ask for 3 A levels, if you believe that doing maths A2 would detrimentally impact your other subjects, don't do maths. I believe you'd be a strong candidate for law at Oxford irrespective of doing A2 maths (should you meet typical entry requirements.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Thank you, it's alright- I've had an answer
Reply 4
Original post by Sacred Ground
Universities only ask for 3 A levels, if you believe that doing maths A2 would detrimentally impact your other subjects, don't do maths. I believe you'd be a strong candidate for law at Oxford irrespective of doing A2 maths (should you meet typical entry requirements.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, it's just that most Oxbridge applicants I know typically have 4A2s
Original post by AzaSad

Maths isn't really relevant for law though, so having it isnt going to help your application all that much. It's probably better to spend that time focusing on your other subjects or doing extracurricular activities/ reading etc for law :smile:
Original post by AzaSad

Oh really? Every Oxbridge applicant I've spoken to/know has applied with 3 A2's and 1 AS. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest