The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
No Q8?

Tried it. Made stupid error. Gave up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

We all have bad days. This is probably your first one, isn't it? We've all gone through that. You'll positively smash the next paper you do. :yes:

(then again, you did get 105/120, which is a good day for me. :lol: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
We all have bad days. This is probably your first one, isn't it? We've all gone through that. You'll positively smash the next paper you do. :yes:

Nah, I think his account is hacked mate. Call the TSR police!
Just finished STEP 2 2009. A nice paper with some unpleasant arithmetic. Did questions 1 through to 7. Reasonably confident of fulls (with minor slips here or there) on the first 6 but didn't manage to get out the last part of 7 and took a weird approach to question 6.

Curious to know if I'd lose marks for skipping showing S is less than 3 and two thirds and going straight to proving it was less than 3.5?
Original post by IDValour

Curious to know if I'd lose marks for skipping showing S is less than 3 and two thirds and going straight to proving it was less than 3.5?

Did you mean to write this the other way around? If so, I think you would lose marks because they were rather specific about the "hence"/"deduce" nature of the question and this was remarked upon in the examiner reports/solutions (if I'm understanding them correctly).
Original post by Insight314
Q1 was recycled, I think. I remember doing it in Siklos' booklets. I did not attempt Q4, but regretting it now since you are second person who tells me it is a good question. :biggrin: I was going to try Q9, I ranked it 7/10 but had 20 minutes at the end and mech questions are not my strongest. I ****ing despised Question 7, but that was because I made the mistake of differentiating 3 times. I am not surprised why you would get algebraic errors to be honest, that **** was really algebraic intensive; the examiner's reports even commented on that IIRC.

Why didn't you enjoy Q3? I thought you from all people would love this question, unless complex numbers is your only weak spot. :biggrin: I found it pretty difficult, but it is about cyclotomic polynomials (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotomic_polynomial) so I feel bad right now for not making a good attempt on it.

We had a long lecture on cycatomic polynomials in the IMO camp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Did you mean to write this the other way around? If so, I think you would lose marks because they were rather specific about the "hence"/"deduce" nature of the question and this was remarked upon in the examiner reports/solutions (if I'm understanding them correctly).

I interpreted the deduce as being for showing S is greater than 3? It then proceeds to say "show also that S < 3 and two thirds". Would you take this as a hence then?

My thinking was that if I showed it was less than 3.5 it would immediately follow that it is less than 3 and two thirds. Reading it the examiner's report it seems to be clear what was intended for showing the lower bounds but not quite so much the upper bounds.
Original post by physicsmaths
We had a long lecture on cycatomic polynomials in the IMO camp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

actually how was that btw? Was it interesting?
Original post by IDValour
I interpreted the deduce as being for showing S is greater than 3? It then proceeds to say "show also that S < 3 and two thirds". Would you take this as a hence then?

My thinking was that if I showed it was less than 3.5 it would immediately follow that it is less than 3 and two thirds. Reading it the examiner's report it seems to be clear what was intended for showing the lower bounds but not quite so much the upper bounds.

Ah, yeah - sorry. I muddled myself up. You'd get the marks for that. :yes:

I wouldn't do that myself because I'm dumb and would like to use the case S < 3 2/3 to then see what I need to do for S < 3.5 :lol:
Original post by EnglishMuon
actually how was that btw? Was it interesting?

It was great really enjoyed it, everybody was extremely good at maths. Problems were very hard and interesting aswell as the talks being very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the step solutions for question 7 of 1,2011, how do they get from the second to last line to the last line of part (i)? It's when they are showing the value of kT for large alpha.
Original post by Glavien
In the step solutions for question 7 of 1,2011, how do they get from the second to last line to the last line of part (i)? It's when they are showing the value of kT for large alpha.

Are you talking about how 1α12α21α\frac{1}{\alpha} - \frac{1}{2\alpha^2} \approx \frac{1}{\alpha}? If so, the 1α\frac{1}{\alpha} is small so (1α)2\left(\frac{1}{\alpha}\right)^2 is teeny tiny tiny and can be ignored and treated as negligible, i.e: it's almost 0.
Original post by Zacken
Are you talking about how 1α12α21α\frac{1}{\alpha} - \frac{1}{2\alpha^2} \approx \frac{1}{\alpha}? If so, the 1α\frac{1}{\alpha} is small so (1α)2\left(\frac{1}{\alpha}\right)^2 is teeny tiny tiny and can be ignored and treated as negligible, i.e: it's almost 0.

Got it, thanks, but I thought 1/alpha must also tend to 0 also.
Original post by Glavien
Got it, thanks, but I thought 1/alpha must also tend to 0 also.

It's not thaaaat small. A large part of this sorta question is just getting to the required answer by means of "hand waving approximations", so you're like, I want α1\alpha^{-1}, bleh this must mean I need to throw away α2\alpha^{-2}. I know how you feel, though. I'm stupendously bad at this sort of stuff.
Original post by Zacken
It's not thaaaat small. A large part of this sorta question is just getting to the required answer by means of "hand waving approximations", so you're like, I want α1\alpha^{-1}, bleh this must mean I need to throw away α2\alpha^{-2}. I know how you feel, though. I'm stupendously bad at this sort of stuff.

Thank you!!
Original post by Glavien
Thank you!!

No worries. :-)
Original post by Zacken
No worries. :-)

Do you know if we can have an electronic stopwatch in the STEP exam? I find it difficult to keep time with my mechanical watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Do you know if we can have an electronic stopwatch in the STEP exam? I find it difficult to keep time with my mechanical watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll have to see with your centre, I can see them saying "no" because it's too much hassle to check whether it's allowed or not, but if you can convince them otherwise...
Can someone explain what Laplace transforms actually do? I know they're useful for solving differential equations but that's about it (Zacken 4 paragraph explanation NEEDED)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Can someone explain what Laplace transforms actually do? I know they're useful for solving differential equations but that's about it (Zacken 4 paragraph explanation NEEDED)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a bit late here, so maybe not four paragraphs, but basically what Laplace transforms do is, you feed it some sort of differential equation or system of differential equations in a variable tt and it transforms these into some other space where the variable you work with is ss, you then solve this in the ss-plane so to speak, because it's much easier to solve things in the ss-plane (sometimes) and then you convert it back to the tt-plane. So it's sorta like integration substitutions in the sense, you substitute something (laplace transform), the integration is easy (solving the problem in terms of s), you integrate it in the new variable (s plane) and then transform it back to the t-plane (back-sub) where the brackets are used for the analogous action.

A good way of explaining this in a "analogy" way is:

Suppose that you come across a poem written in English of whose meaning you don't understand. However suppose that you know a French-speaking gentleman who is a master of interpreting poems. So you translate the poem into French and send it to the French gentleman. The French gentleman writes a perfectly good interpretation of the poem in French and sends this back to you where you translate it back into English and you have the meaning of the poem.

But I'm afraid that the above only tends to make sense once you've studied a teensy bit about Laplace transform and know how to do the mechanics behind them, the above then explains in a certain fashion why the mechanics works the way it does and what motivates it.

If you're interested in this sorta stuff, there is an excellent introductory lecture here which has garnered international acclaim. :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending