The Student Room Group

Predictions for GCSE English Edexcel Poetry Exam 27th May?

What are the predictions for GCSE English Edexcel Poetry Exam on 27th May?

I want to know what people consider will come up. I have a feeling William Shakespeare's poem "Sonnet 116" will appear because this year is 400 years since his death.
Reply 1
Help
Anyone?
Original post by Harry Long
What are the predictions for GCSE English Edexcel Poetry Exam on 27th May?I want to know what people consider will come up. I have a feeling William Shakespeare's poem "Sonnet 116" will appear because this year is 400 years since his death.

I really hope Sonnet 116 doesn't come up. I have a feeling it will though. But this poem would screw lots of people up I think, because it's written in old English, and I just don't think a question on it would be easily "accessible" for everyone doing the paper. Do you do OMAM for lit, and if so do you have any idea what could come up for the character questions in literature for edexcel (Understanding Prose)?
Reply 4
For the unseen poem, i think its really too difficult to give somewhat of an accurate answer, because there are just way too many options.
But for the relationship cluster, having looked over previous past papers;the poems that have never came up at all are:
sonnet 116
Our love now
At the border, 1979
Poems that came as only options are:
My last duchess (only one time so its still probable)
Nettles (2 times so i find it doubtful, considering they were both recent)

Assuming that they continue the current trend of not repeating any poem as the main option, we can eliminate:
Lines to my grandfather
Even tho
One flesh
Valentine
Kissing
04/01/07
Song for last years wife

This is in order of date that they came. (oldest at top)
but to be on the safe side i would practise up to one flesh/valentine.
I'm certain they won't put anything more recent than that.

the exam paper's set up has changed recently and so there is no longer the options section however you can use this to your advantage if you learn a few poems well and try to use those in the comparison.
i hope this helps - Jadzy
if you have any other theory's id like to hear them and if i have made any mistakes in the years of the exam or left something out please tell me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I do think Sonnet 116 is very probable, can't explain why, just a gut feeling...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending