The Student Room Group

my school wont give us study leave :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Okay, woah, no revision might be pushing it a bit..

Spoiler

Yup. It's pushing it a lot. I plan on revising for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and History cause they have a lot of content. I try to start but my home isn't really an environment fit to study lol and I can't seem to find the motivation. I don't really know what's wrong with me like I know this will affect my future but I still don't seem to care ? And even if i do start revising I don't know how to and I seem to zone out in a few minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asma-A
Some girls at my school made a petition, over 200 of us signed it, apparently our head of year tossed it in the bin after they were handed it.

Ok, wow. If that many people made a petition and everything, I seriously do think it's absolutely unjust just to ignore the whole issue. Have you tried the school governors (or whoever the people are who look over all of the teachers at your school)?
Original post by I'm_infires
Yup. It's pushing it a lot. I plan on revising for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and History cause they have a lot of content. I try to start but my home isn't really an environment fit to study lol and I can't seem to find the motivation. I don't really know what's wrong with me like I know this will affect my future but I still don't seem to care ? And even if i do start revising I don't know how to and I seem to zone out in a few minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, how about you log off right now, take 30 minutes to go and cover at least one chapter in, say Physics and come back to report how you did?

Spoiler

Reply 43
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Ok, wow. If that many people made a petition and everything, I seriously do think it's absolutely unjust just to ignore the whole issue. Have you tried the school governors (or whoever the people are who look over all of the teachers at your school)?

I'm feeling to go to the governors. It was only confirmed today that we weren't getting study leave and I'm really feeling to blow this up because the amount of stress we receive from the school has affected the mental health of so many of my peers, like people blame their anxiety and depression on the school.
Original post by Asma-A
I'm feeling to go to the governors. It was only confirmed today that we weren't getting study leave and I'm really feeling to blow this up because the amount of stress we receive from the school has affected the mental health of so many of my peers, like people blame their anxiety and depression on the school.

Hearing about all this, I think the best thing to do might be just to go the governors, and soon. Not sure how long they might need to settle this.
In my school, we just stayed at home anyway and they had no choice but to change the rule.
It's because study shows that when students in England go on study leave, crime rates go up. So most counties tell schools not to allow study leave, but would advice some sort of revision timetable for the build up to the exams.
My school didn't allow study leave, but did allow exam leave when I sat my GCSE's last year. I think they do it so that the less hard-working people at least get some revision done in supervised conditions in order to get the best possible grades. Also the teachers are there to help with anything you find tough, and are not a journey away. It is unfair that everyone has to suffer for the minority who wouldn't work but I think it is better. For the new a-levels, we don't even get exam leave so count yourself lucky!
My school doesn't give study leave either. My mum just calls in sick for me and I do work at home instead. Away from all the distractions that school brings :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whaaaat I'd hate not having study leave, what's the point of being in lessons for subjects you've finished all of your exams in? I guess you'd probably just spend the time doing other revision but even still I do better revision at home away from everyone
Original post by Asma-A
not sure how to word this but my school have literally refused to give us study leave, even after we all made a petition that they said could help them change their mind if there was enough signature. Its annoying because every other school in our district is on study leave.

I just wanted to see whoever else is on study leave, and for those of you who have already done their GCSE's, did you have study leave, if so did it help? If not, did you struggle? I'm trying to bring up a valid argument to my headteacher (who, by the way, is really new and has made some awful changes within my school and we're the only year 11 group to not get study leave so far)

my main argument is that the school has given us about 5 sets of mocks this year that has thrown almost everyone off, we're all stressed out and some teachers have argued that we've been the most exhausted year group so far, which i believe is a fitting reason for us to have study leave. Unfortunately these teachers refused to vouch for us, for fear of their own jobs, but thats another story...

it didn't help me with my exams as i just worked and drank coffee

Quick Reply

Latest