The Student Room Group

Advice on what to do from here

Not sure if I should have put this in the A-level section or the uni sub, but I'll put it here for now.

I'm currently in year 12 and just about to do my AS exams. I'm doing computer science, business and sociology (Had to drop maths earlier this year as I failed my mock exam).

Ideally I would like to do computer science at uni but without maths this is already pretty difficult. The thing is, I have done hardly any revision at all for my AS exams, meaning that my predicted grades which I'll use to apply to unis are going to be pretty bad and I doubt I'll even get into a semi-decent uni.

I don't really know what to do. I was thinking of getting the best grades I can next year and taking a gap year to do maths during that, then reapply the year after as I'm guessing it will be easier with maths. Also, from what I've gathered, clearing can be quite stressful and if you do another subject/module in a gap year they can increase their requirements?

Or I could just try and get into a university through clearing next year without having applied to any good unis of my choice due to bad predicted grades. However, I don't really want to do this as it's can be unreliable and stressful.

I don't think 10 days is enough time to get the grades I want, and my teachers will definitely not put my predicted grades up as I haven't really put much effort in during this year.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If it were me then I would resit, do the math elsewhere and then apply later to get into a uni i wanted to go to on a course I wanted to do. Its a bad choice to do soemthing you dont want or wont enjoy, then get into debt for it as well. If you are that bad then id even consider redoing the year again.
Original post by 999tigger
If it were me then I would resit, do the math elsewhere and then apply later to get into a uni i wanted to go to on a course I wanted to do. Its a bad choice to do soemthing you dont want or wont enjoy, then get into debt for it as well. If you are that bad then id even consider redoing the year again.

Yea, that's what I thought would be the best option. But I've read that some unis change their entry requirements if you do something in a gap year?
Original post by ImSuchAnIdiot
Yea, that's what I thought would be the best option. But I've read that some unis change their entry requirements if you do something in a gap year?

If you do resits then they could raise a grade or two. Its a no brainer for me. You cnat get to do the course you want now because of grades, so workout a plan to get the grades, even if it means more time. The other alternative is a foundation year, but that is going to cost you £9,000 plus living costs and uses some of your student funding up.

The most cost effective way is stay at home and do resits either at school or college. Dont wander into a future you do not want.
Original post by ImSuchAnIdiot
Not sure if I should have put this in the A-level section or the uni sub, but I'll put it here for now.

I'm currently in year 12 and just about to do my AS exams. I'm doing computer science, business and sociology (Had to drop maths earlier this year as I failed my mock exam).

Ideally I would like to do computer science at uni but without maths this is already pretty difficult. The thing is, I have done hardly any revision at all for my AS exams, meaning that my predicted grades which I'll use to apply to unis are going to be pretty bad and I doubt I'll even get into a semi-decent uni.

I don't really know what to do. I was thinking of getting the best grades I can next year and taking a gap year to do maths during that, then reapply the year after as I'm guessing it will be easier with maths. Also, from what I've gathered, clearing can be quite stressful and if you do another subject/module in a gap year they can increase their requirements?

Or I could just try and get into a university through clearing next year without having applied to any good unis of my choice due to bad predicted grades. However, I don't really want to do this as it's can be unreliable and stressful.

I don't think 10 days is enough time to get the grades I want, and my teachers will definitely not put my predicted grades up as I haven't really put much effort in during this year.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

While I'd say the long term goal to take an extra year to do more maths and reapply is a good one I WOULD advise that you go through the UCAS process and apply for some universities that don't ask for maths for CS while you're in Yr13.

UCAS can be confusing and difficult so doing it for the first time while you're on a gap year without as much support from your college/sixth form isn't ideal. It's also worth looking in more detail into the CS courses available to you without the maths option - even if you go down the gap year + maths route if you have a couple of these courses that you've done your research into that you like that will accept you without the maths then you have a backup option if things don't go as well as you hope with retaking your maths in your gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending