The Student Room Group

Support Worker Mental Health Interview Help please!

Hello
I have my interview for a Mental Health Support Worker post this time next week and was just wondering if anyone here has had one and can offer any insight into possible questions etc, just so I have some idea about what to expect.
Thanks!
Hi,

I was interviewed last week for a similar role (Care Support Worker at a nearby nursing home) which although is slightly different from yours, will probably possess the same basic characteristics.

Questions I was asked included:

Why this role?
What experience have you in care that would be suitable for this?
Are you keen to complete the Care Certificate/NVQs that would help you to progress?
What is your knowledge of Safeguarding, specifically public disclosure, whistleblowing, the Mental Capacity Act etc.?
Various scenario questions, such as handling aggression, relating to residents with advanced dementia etc.

As I say, your role is different, but I hope these questions give a basic idea. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by wikiellie
Hi,

I was interviewed last week for a similar role (Care Support Worker at a nearby nursing home) which although is slightly different from yours, will probably possess the same basic characteristics.

Questions I was asked included:

Why this role?
What experience have you in care that would be suitable for this?
Are you keen to complete the Care Certificate/NVQs that would help you to progress?
What is your knowledge of Safeguarding, specifically public disclosure, whistleblowing, the Mental Capacity Act etc.?
Various scenario questions, such as handling aggression, relating to residents with advanced dementia etc.

As I say, your role is different, but I hope these questions give a basic idea. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help ,what did you say about safe guarding just asking thanks
Original post by ifmtg
Thanks for the help ,what did you say about safe guarding just asking thanks

Hi,

I began by defining the term 'safeguarding', exampled with scenarios in which I would alert the appropriate authorities under the Public Disclosure Act. I then concluded with procedures I would take to ensure the continued safety of the resident and training of staff.

They may also give you scenarios to consider, the aim being to determine your basic knowledge of safeguarding in a realistic situation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi,

I began by defining the term 'safeguarding', exampled with scenarios in which I would alert the appropriate authorities under the Public Disclosure Act. I then concluded with procedures I would take to ensure the continued safety of the resident and training of staff.

They may also give you scenarios to consider, the aim being to determine your basic knowledge of safeguarding in a realistic situation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks,i hope you managed to get the job
Original post by ifmtg
Thanks,i hope you managed to get the job

Thank you! I was offered the role on Monday, so just waiting for the DBS check now, before starting hopefully next week. Did you get your role?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you! I was offered the role on Monday, so just waiting for the DBS check now, before starting hopefully next week. Did you get your role?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I always get short listed for jobs but nerve always gets the better of me,but tommorw I have an interview for the nhs job ,hoping to get it
Original post by ifmtg
Thanks I always get short listed for jobs but nerve always gets the better of me,but tommorw I have an interview for the nhs job ,hoping to get it

I understand the nerves completely, but several years of university mock and actual job interviews helped me to suppress it.

All the best for tomorrow. What does the job entail?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I understand the nerves completely, but several years of university mock and actual job interviews helped me to suppress it.

All the best for tomorrow. What does the job entail?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I will let you know how it goes tommorw , the job is a mental health support worker role,supporting young people with emotional needs,depression,substance missue etc
Original post by ifmtg
Thanks I will let you know how it goes tommorw , the job is a mental health support worker role,supporting young people with emotional needs,depression,substance missue etc

That sounds great! Are you considering going into nursing eventually? I'm applying to Adult Nursing in Autumn for next year's entry, getting experience as a care support worker in the meantime.

Certainly let me know how tomorrow goes, I'm sure you'll do very well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending