The Student Room Group

Missed exam due to Crohn's disease flare-up

I missed one of my final year uni exams yesterday as I was unable to make it to the exam hall. My Crohn's disease flare-up caused me problems with abdominal pains and diarrhoea.

I emailed my student support office and they replied back by saying that a missed exam means I need to "have supporting documentation from a medical professional confirming that you are unfit to sit your exam."

How am I supposed to get this though? I have medical records from my doctor confirming that tests taken recently show that my crohn's disease is active, but I don't get how I'm supposed to say "look at me, I'm ill". In my current situation I think I'd really struggle to make it to my nearest GP. I have another exam today and it just feels like my degree is falling apart. Any advice on who to see/contact would be helpful :frown:
Inform your tutor that you missed the exam and the reason why. Add that you have booked an appointment with the GP and get a letter confirming the same.
It would have been helpful if you had informed them before rather than after the exam.

If you have an exam today go and sit it if you are in a fit state to do so. If not let them know.

Go and see your GP when available. Dont worry they deal with such situations all the time.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Inform your tutor that you missed the exam and the reason why. Add that you have booked an appointment with the GP and get a letter confirming the same.
It would have been helpful if you had informed them before rather than after the exam.

If you have an exam today go and sit it if you are in a fit state to do so. If not let them know.

Go and see your GP when available. Dont worry they deal with such situations all the time.

Thanks, and I did inform them before. I emailed my student support office on the morning of the exam and then they inform the board of examiners and other relevant people. I also emailed by tutor about my problem.

I have booked to see a nurse this morning as there are no GP appointments left today. Will I be able to get a letter?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, and I did inform them before. I emailed my student support office on the morning of the exam and then they inform the board of examiners and other relevant people. I also emailed by tutor about my problem.

I have booked to see a nurse this morning as there are no GP appointments left today. Will I be able to get a letter?

Obviously its hard fro your GP to say you had an attack, but they can confirm from your records that its active. You can also inform them of the symptoms.

Print off something to explain what it is, specially the symptoms i.e
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Crohns-disease/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

You had the good sense to let them know before.

Imo you will be fine and just resit it in the summer. Focus on your exam if you are able to take it.

Don't worry it will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest