The Student Room Group

Manual Labour/Cash in hand- good for a CV?

I'm coming to the end of my first year of studying History at the University of Manchester and I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet. I haven't got any workplace experience connected to law/journalism/public sector/or any of the myriad other things we are told that a History degree sets you up for. I've written a few articles for the Student newspaper, but wouldn't say they amount to much. Over the summer I'll be helping out for a roofing company, just lifting and climbing ladders. I basically have two questions.
1. Given that its manual labour and probably won't be relevant to whatever I eventually want to do, will this be good experience to put on a CV? Or good to bring up when I apply for internships in the Second and Third Year? I think doing hard physical work (and it sounds hard) would be appreciated in all sectors, but I'm not sure.
2. Also, its cash in hand, is this any good for a CV?
Original post by JpK
I'm coming to the end of my first year of studying History at the University of Manchester and I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet. I haven't got any workplace experience connected to law/journalism/public sector/or any of the myriad other things we are told that a History degree sets you up for. I've written a few articles for the Student newspaper, but wouldn't say they amount to much. Over the summer I'll be helping out for a roofing company, just lifting and climbing ladders. I basically have two questions.
1. Given that its manual labour and probably won't be relevant to whatever I eventually want to do, will this be good experience to put on a CV? Or good to bring up when I apply for internships in the Second and Third Year? I think doing hard physical work (and it sounds hard) would be appreciated in all sectors, but I'm not sure.
2. Also, its cash in hand, is this any good for a CV?

If you want to build a career, wouldn't you want to work somewhere reputable, somewhere where you can get a good reference?

But then again, its for the sake of gaining experience and skills, so there's probably no harm in doing so.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending