The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sfaraj
in all honestly i look forward to ramadhan, you said you dont see the point...go educate yourself on why we fast. its not for the banter, there are reasons. youve also abused your parents trust. once they find out (and they will) you have no idea of their emotions they will be guilty not angry as much as guilty for not being a good parent. educate yourself being going "its pointless" "theres no reason for it" muslims in LEDCs have it 100000 times worse yet they still practice islam and fast. its called faith, something youre lacking

astagfirullah, reminds me of the muslim girl in my year who claims to be reallly religious whilst having a boyfriend who gets intimate AHAHAH

I guess i'm not really that educated in Islam even though i did attend mosque etc. for a long time but that was because i was forced to go and i wasn't mature enough to understand what they told us. I feel like if we got educated NOW i'd probably understand it better. but yeah I don't have a boyfriend or get intimate with a guy though ... that's more of a personal than religious thing for me..
Original post by Anonymous
Oh sorry to hear that! I don't think my parents are strict or forceful anymore, I think they understand a little more

why dont you try fasting anyways? It doesn't have to be for religious reasons. I think the idea of fasting have some great benefits- like being thankful for food and water, putting yourself in the shoes of unfortunate people etc

I have tried fasting for at least 8 years or so and as i've gotten older i just don't see the point anymore.
Original post by TheWaffle
I'm cool with your decision. Food is tasty.

yes, yes it is very tasty :biggrin:
you can brush your teeth
Original post by EllainKahlo
Then I don't blame you for hiding it. If they don't respect your beliefs, they don't respect you. And I wouldn't feel bad about not fasting since it's not applicable to you. I knew many people at school who secretly ate during Ramadan because they weren't practicing, and they survived. So stay strong. There's no point fasting to please others.

Exactly i don't really feel respected as an individual at all and i'm just fine with sneaking around as long as i'm not forced to be starving myself..
Original post by SMEGGGY
Well you don't have to as it's hypocrisy if you do it without faith in your religion.

Parents always tell you do do things related to ones religion, you'll have to either tell them or carry on aa they'd be upset, hurt if you said you're not doing it. Best to let them think you're doing it than rock the boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly i'd rather just pretend it's a win win for both of us i get to eat and they think i'm fasting ... :biggrin:
Anyone that has answered yes is no longer a Muslim, so by default the answer to this thread is no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Multitalented me
I'm not fasting tbh, they can try & guilt trip me all they want but I'm not falling for it. I've already made up my mind about religion.

Good on you for making your own decisions ! :biggrin:
Ramadan is a month of hell and unnecessary torture for non-Muslims being raised by Muslim parents. Personally, I believe it's terrible that we're being made to do this, it's so frustrating when it interrupts my life, smh.

Same i feel your pain just got to get through it i guess!
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Anyone that has answered yes is no longer a Muslim, so by default the answer to this thread is no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was never a Muslim to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please fast this year, it'll benefit you at the end of the day!

Even though as you say, you aren't that religious, still, do it, insha'Allah!
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous - (2:183)
Fasting for] a limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them] - then an equal number of days [are to be made up]. And upon those who are able [to fast, but with hardship] - a ransom [as substitute] of feeding a poor person [each day]. And whoever volunteers excess - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew. (2:184)
The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful. (2:185)
To be fair, maybe your mother has some culture rules instead of actual religious rules. Eg. iheard that this guys dad said that chewing gum and speaking in public is haram

Yeah maybe some slight culture rules thrown in there somewhere. And my mums not that bad LOL chewing gum and speaking in public that's like seriously messed up WTF!
Original post by aeroline1999
Well I'm an atheist so I think its a good thing. Ideally I would want people of all faiths to reject the religious oppression and become enlightened by the teachings of science and reason. So yeah, good for you, I commend you. Although I'm deeply disturbed you should have to do it secretly, I think its your choice and your choice alone. Nobody, not even other family members has the right to force religion onto other people. You shouldn't feel in anyway guilty or ashamed about not fasting. Its unhealthy anyway, from a biological perspective. Personally, I come from a Catholic/ Protestant family but my parents are both pretty relaxed about religion, never really been to Church although I used to go to a church group on Fridays after school when I was in primary school. I've never believed in god and probably never will. Although to be fair, sometimes I wish there was a god and a heaven because its much more comforting than the thought that when we die thats the end. We just get eaten by maggots then eventually millions of years from now our grave will fall into the sun then billions of years after that even the atoms the we are made of may no longer "exist" as energy across the universe transforms into a state of equilibrium. Although on the other hand, the universe is a beautiful and wonderful place, and I guess I sort of believe in reincarnation in that when we die, the atoms that make us become part of other organisms like bacteria or birds or worms etc and they get eaten by other organisms ect and eventually the atoms might become part of a human again. Anyway, I digress, yeah I think not fasting is absolutely fine, you shouldn't feel pressured into doing it.

You sound like a science nerd but i like your answer and way of thinking ! :wink:
Yes, I've been doing this for years and years, started when I was around 12 or 13 and now I'm in my 20s, I'm an expert at hiding food in my room and eating when no ones there. The idea behind fasting is so stupid and pointless so I see no reason for depriving my body of food to please an imaginary sky fairy.

Same here ! :wink:
Good on you for making your own decisions ! :biggrin:
Thanks aha, I mean it can definitely be hard considering all my family & relatives are Muslims but then I realise that it's my life, & I need to choose the path that I feel make most sense & is best for me. I didn't exactly choose to be born in a Muslim family so I don't feel any obligation to follow them tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Please fast this year, it'll benefit you at the end of the day!

Even though as you say, you aren't that religious, still, do it, insha'Allah!
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous - (2:183)
Fasting for] a limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them] - then an equal number of days [are to be made up]. And upon those who are able [to fast, but with hardship] - a ransom [as substitute] of feeding a poor person [each day]. And whoever volunteers excess - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew. (2:184)
The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful. (2:185)

I still won't fast i've already made my mind up :frown:
You sound like a science nerd but i like your answer and way of thinking ! :wink:

Never really thought of myself as a science nerd before....
Not sure how I feel about that, but thank you :smile:
Go educate yourself on the deen before death overtakes you which can come at any moment. May Allah guide me and you.
Original post by dbrownbeast
you can brush your teeth

i've always been told you can't you can use that miswak thing though...
I still won't fast i've already made my mind up :frown:

Change your mind man... for the sake of yourself!
Become more pious and wider your knowledge of Islam, pray Salaah, and definitely make the most of this Ramadhan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending