The Student Room Group

CCEA AS Maths- C1 Wed 18th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sparklez10
I'm not sure sorry! I will ask around and see!! How did you find it

It wasn't that bad the last question was very difficult but everyone I have been talking to says they found the question difficult. Most of the people in my class found it hard so I hope they will be lenient on marking. One of the pupils in my class didn't attempt any question after Q.4. LOL
Reply 41
Original post by John5678
Hows everyone feeling for C1 Maths for CCEA tomorrow?

Hadn't seen a CCEA thread, so decided to make one!

I didn't want to do this but I am dreading the thread in less than two weeks for C2 as I haven't revised it yet. I hope I'm not the only.
Are you serious Haha he'll bring the grade boundary down lol
What are the normal raw marks for an A grade and so on?
Every other exam board seems to allow you to calculate them except CCEA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomFitness
What are the normal raw marks for an A grade and so on?
Every other exam board seems to allow you to calculate them except CCEA

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah apparently CCEA dont publish their grade boundaries etc! so frustrating!! does anyone know roughly what the A was last year in terms of raw marks??
Original post by ozmo19
image.jpeg
Does anyone have a solution for this?

If the roots are n and n+1, then the quadratic = (x-n)(x-(n+1))
Multiplying this out gives X^2-(2n+1)x+n(n+1)
Which means b^2 = (-2n-1)^2 = 4n^2+4n+1
and c = n^2+n so 4c = 4n^2+4n
giving b^2-4c = 1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by annienola
Multiplying this out gives X^2-(2n-1)x+n(n+1)
Which means b^2 = (2n-1)^2 = 4n^2-4n+1
giving b^2-4c = 1

Did not have a clue!
Reply 47
giving b^2-4c = 1

Thanks for the reply!
(edited 7 years ago)
giving b^2-4c = 1

I understand your method but I literally wouldn't have got this in the exam:s-smilie:
i thought that was literally the hardest paper so far
Reply 51

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't grade boundaries done on the scores of the students. IE a certain % of people get A*, A, B, C Therefore, a difficult exam, with a lower average mark from the students should then therefore lower the grade boundaries [As students are arranged into quintiles] meaning you don't need your petition, its done automatically.
ozmo19,

Cheers mate, I feel a lot better after looking at your answers. Most of mine match up, despite knowing I ****ed up 7a and by extension I couldn't complete 7b. And I hardly attempted 8b. But with raw marks I think I'm on a B so hoping for an A with the grading curve.
(edited 7 years ago)
Was definitely the hardest C1 paper I've ever seen, still think I done okay though :smile:
Eugh so irritating, I just saw this thread. My answer to the last question was close but I am guessing I multiplied out somewhere wrong to miss the final answer. Still I will get a few marks i guess, better than nothing.
I didnt have a clue about the last question! but it was the only thing i put nothing down for :P.
Anyone else think there was a lot of disgusting fractional work and calculations (had to do loads of sums at the side of the page) in that paper or something? cant remember that aspect being as bad in the past papers!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Blackstar152
I didnt have a clue about the last question! but it was the only thing i put nothing down for :P.
Anyone else think there was a lot of disgusting fractional work and calculations (had to do loads of sums at the side of the page) in that paper or something? cant remember that aspect being as bad in the past papers!

I definitely had one certain question with a lot of fractional work, but I got there in the end. The rest of the paper wasn't too bad in that way.

Yeah Q8b was hard, as was 7a.
Original post by ozmo19
I definitely had one certain question with a lot of fractional work, but I got there in the end.

Unless that particular question just took me so long it felt like the whole paper!
But aye, some tricky questions. Overall though it was better than i expected it to be. lets hope we all made it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending