The Student Room Group

OMAM

i have two questions

Firstly how is innocence presented in omam

Secondly i do edexcel lit and someone said it was good to link a theme with another theme. How do you do that?

thank you
Reply 1
Original post by homairapatel
i have two questions

Secondly i do edexcel lit and someone said it was good to link a theme with another theme. How do you do that?

thank you

I've never seen innocence as a theme before in Of Mice and Men, but here are a few things I thought of:

Lennie's innocence; he's mentally incapable of purposefully hurting Curley's wife, so he can't really be viewed as guilty for it. This could link to Lennie's child-like nature and the innocence of children

George's lost innocence; you could comment on how George loses his innocence when he has to make the decision to kill Lennie in order to save others

Innocence of those Lennie kills (& Candy's dog); could link to the mice, the puppy - maybe even Curley's wife - none of these did anything that would intentionally cause their deaths but they are killed anyway

Innocence of nature; you could discuss Steinbeck's repeated referral to nature in Of Mice and Men and his suggestions that all of the cruelties of man won't change the innocence and purity of nature (such as in the end scene)

I'm not too sure really, but I hope that helps a bit :smile:
Reply 2
i have two questions

thank you

Sorry for the double reply I just saw your second part!

I'd imagine they mean something like linking loneliness with the American Dream because it is the dream that gets them through their loneliness? So you'd say like, 'Steinbeck presents the American Dream as a method used by the migrant workers to overcome their loneliness as it gives them an outlet that they do not get through discussion.'

I'm not sure how you could link innocence to a theme; perhaps discuss how the theme of violence shows a general lack of innocence amongst the workers, or how contextual themes such as the Great Depression forced workers to betray their innocence in order to surive.

I do AQA so I'm not sure if there are differences, but I hope that helps :smile:
Can someone explain historical context for OMAM ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Can someone explain historical context for OMAM ?

This may help
social historical context is basically looking at the time the book was written.
Original post by CaptErin
I've never seen innocence as a theme before in Of Mice and Men, but here are a few things I thought of:

Lennie's innocence; he's mentally incapable of purposefully hurting Curley's wife, so he can't really be viewed as guilty for it. This could link to Lennie's child-like nature and the innocence of children

George's lost innocence; you could comment on how George loses his innocence when he has to make the decision to kill Lennie in order to save others

Innocence of those Lennie kills (& Candy's dog); could link to the mice, the puppy - maybe even Curley's wife - none of these did anything that would intentionally cause their deaths but they are killed anyway

Innocence of nature; you could discuss Steinbeck's repeated referral to nature in Of Mice and Men and his suggestions that all of the cruelties of man won't change the innocence and purity of nature (such as in the end scene)

Thank you soo much for answering both of my questions
Reply 6
Original post by CaptErin

Hey you seem to have a great understanding of OMAM, could you please take a look at the question I started about OMAM, I am really stuck on this aspect of the novella
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107209
This may help
social historical context is basically looking at the time the book was written.

Thank you soo much x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending