The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology Paper 2, 23 May 2016 Opinions. UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by saynarda
Thanks but I mean the timeline in which psychology emerged :x

From my notes.
Timeline

Behaviourists 1900s - introspection is subjective, behaviour can be observed and measured.

1930s+ - Skinner brought in carefully controlled lab’ studies.

1950s+ - Cognitive - study of mental processes, based on inferences from tests conducted in a lab’.

Biological 1990s+ - brain imaging and genetic technology and neurological knowledge.

Edit: You could also add Wundt/introspection - late 1800s
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kefte
From my notes.
Timeline

Behaviourists 1900s - introspection is subjective, behaviour can be observed and measured.

1930s+ - Skinner brought in carefully controlled lab’ studies.

1950s+ - Cognitive - study of mental processes, based on inferences from tests conducted in a lab’.

Biological 1990s+ - brain imaging and genetic technology and neurological knowledge.

Edit: You could also add Wundt/introspection - late 1800s

Omg do we need to know this?!
Reply 162
Original post by angellll

No - I'm quite sure we don't. But it does help you see how psychology as a science has progressed and changed - becoming more scientific and precise overtime. tbh, when you know the differences between the approaches you can see which order they came in.

It just happens to be in my notes, and I haven't bothered to memorize it.

EDIT: Just adding what is states on the spec' on this:

"Origins of psychology: Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science."

Ergo, from my personal interpretation. Yes, you need to know how psychology has become more scientific, not necessarily a timeline though - there is no timeline in the AQA textbook by Cardwell and Flanagan (the cat one).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by angellll

We do need to know this yes.
I haven't even started revision yet-all nighter here I come
Original post by dmy15
Saj did you go QE?

Ha yeah I did indeed - did you? Do we know each other? :smile:
Reply 166
Original post by Mephestic
Ha yeah I did indeed - did you? Do we know each other? :smile:

I study AS levels there right now so I doubt you would know me :biggrin: and its because on your twitter it says you're from Leic so I just assumed you went QE because thats where all the 'clever people' go ahaha
Guys can someone please post points for a 12 markker, or a model answer for outlining and evaluating biologcial explanation for ocd, and also treatments? I really find this hard! Or if somone has the revision guide for the green hair girl could they upload a picture?

I would really apreciate it
Thank you
Reply 168
Original post by drriversong
I haven't even started revision yet-all nighter here I come

lol really don't lie:eek: i started a few days ago and im still struggling
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by dmy15
lol really don't lie:eek: i started a few days ago and im still struggling

i havent even started either..i gotta worry about my eco exam in the morning tomorrow :frown:
Original post by dmy15
I study AS levels there right now so I doubt you would know me :biggrin: and its because on your twitter it says you're from Leic so I just assumed you went QE because thats where all the 'clever people' go ahaha

Ahh cool - whos your psychology teacher? I use to have a teacher called Mrs Philpot (if i recall) - doubt she will be there anymore.
Reply 171
Can someone give me evaluation points for the fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline.
Original post by THESTRESS
Guys can someone please post points for a 12 markker, or a model answer for outlining and evaluating biologcial explanation for ocd, and also treatments? I really find this hard! Or if somone has the revision guide for the green hair girl could they upload a picture?

I would really apreciate it
Thank you

The biological approach is used to both explain OCD and to treat OCD. Firstly I will discuss genetic explanations for OCD. OCD is largely seen as biological in nature and this means that a major explanation for OCD is genetic basis. Genes are involved in individual vulnerability to OCD and so there are specific candidate genes that cause vulnerability. Evidence to support the idea that OCD is genetic comes from psychologist Lewis. He found that of his OCD patients 37% had parents with OCD and 21% had siblings with OCD. This shows that OCD is genetic however it also shows that there are other factors that influence the vulnerability of OCD because the percentage is not 100%.
Researchers have also found certain genes that increase the persons vulnerability to OCD and these are called candidate genes. Some of these genes are involved in regulating the development of serotonin which has been useful in the development of drugs to treat OCD such as SSRI's.
OCD has also be found to be polygenic which means that more than one type of gene causes it. A psychologist found that over 230 different genes have a influence of OCD. Some of these include dopamine and serotonin which both regulate mood. Finally different types of genes may cause OCD in one person whereas in another person may be a different set of genes.
A criticism of this explanation is that there are too many candidate genes identified and this means that a genetic explanation is unlikely to ever be useful because it provides little predictable value.

The neural explanations for OCD is that the role of serotonin plays a key role in the development of OCD. If a person has low levels of serotonin then normal transmission of mood relevant information does not take place and mood are affected. It has also been suggested that OCD has been related with impaired deciison making. This in turn may be associated with abnormal functioning of the lateral of the frontal lobes of the brain.
However a critism of this explanation is that there is little supporting evidence unlike the genetic explanations. It is also not clear exactly what neural mechanisms are involved.

Hope this helps xx probably need more A03 though
Strengths

Measuring stress hormones gives an objective measure of stress.

Fight/flight response can be seen in all mammals in response to threats.

Weakness

There is considerable variation in level and type of hormones released by different people and in response to different stressors not a simple physiological process.

People without adrenal glands need hormonal supplements to survive stress.

Symington (1955) found that conscious dying patients showed different stress reactions to unconscious ones. Suggests that psychological factors play a role.

Original post by Mina_
Can someone give me evaluation points for the fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline.
I don't think u need to evaluate the fight or flight response
For the biological approach, the genetics side has anyone got a study that's easier to remember? Could we possibly use the study from Lewis used to evaluate biological explanation of OCD.
Original post by Natashja

Thanks Natashja. Can i ask did you have this preprepared or did it on the spot?
Original post by saynarda
For the biological approach, the genetics side has anyone got a study that's easier to remember? Could we possibly use the study from Lewis used to evaluate biological explanation of OCD.

yes you can use iehter Lweis for concordance withing families or nestadt for conconradnce in twins. Both support influence of genes in gaining disorders
Original post by THESTRESS
Thanks Natashja. Can i ask did you have this preprepared or did it on the spot?

I typed it first without my book then added in stuff I had forgotten with the book which was quite a lot ahah :biggrin:
Original post by Natashja
Strengths

Measuring stress hormones gives an objective measure of stress.

Fight/flight response can be seen in all mammals in response to threats.

Weakness

There is considerable variation in level and type of hormones released by different people and in response to different stressors not a simple physiological process.

People without adrenal glands need hormonal supplements to survive stress.

Symington (1955) found that conscious dying patients showed different stress reactions to unconscious ones. Suggests that psychological factors play a role.

Yeah i do not think we do...we just need to know the process

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending