The Student Room Group

Can I apply to unis without reference?

Hello
I'm currently doing foundation year and thinking about transferring to different uni after the course. How likely they will consider application without reference? I asked my tutors but they said I was supposed to continue studying at the same uni next year so they couldn't write reference for me and I am not allowed to work so I can't get reference from work as well :frown:
Original post by dngttn
Hello
I'm currently doing foundation year and thinking about transferring to different uni after the course. How likely they will consider application without reference? I asked my tutors but they said I was supposed to continue studying at the same uni next year so they couldn't write reference for me and I am not allowed to work so I can't get reference from work as well :frown:

Contact universities directly to see if they'll accept an application for transferring from a foundation year without a reference. It's very unlikely that you'll find anywhere willing to take you without a current academic reference.

I'm surprised your tutors were so unhelpful - is there anyone else on your course you could approach about this? head of year or a lecturer that you get on with. Refusing to provide a reference is very unusual.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Contact universities directly to see if they'll accept an application for transferring from a foundation year without a reference. It's very unlikely that you'll find anywhere willing to take you without a current academic reference.

I'm surprised your tutors were so unhelpful - is there anyone else on your course you could approach about this? head of year or a lecturer that you get on with. Refusing to provide a reference is very unusual.

They said that was their policy and they need to ask their head tutor but they might also reject me if I apply to other unis as well. I emailed uni I want to transfer and waiting for their response now. Thanks for your advice ☺️
Reply 3
Original post by PQ

They said that was their policy and they need to ask their head tutor but they might also reject me if I apply to othser unis as well. I emailed uni I want to transfer and waiting for their response now. Thanks for your advice ☺️
Original post by dngttn
They said that was their policy and they need to ask their head tutor but they might also reject me if I apply to othser unis as well. I emailed uni I want to transfer and waiting for their response now. Thanks for your advice ☺️

Is this a university provided foundation year or one contracted out to a private company (like INTO or Kaplan)?

Do you have a student rep or student union you can approach? If they are deliberately harming your chances to study elsewhere then that's extremely unusual and unethical.

If you have access to a careers service at your current university then sometimes they are able to assist with getting a reference sorted out (and might be able to work with the tutors concerned to educate them on how not to act like dicks).

I'd be tempted to ask the tutor concerned if you could see a copy of the policy document concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if you've encountered someone lazy or a jobsworth who just doesn't want to help and is blaming "policy" for their lack of competence.
Reply 5
they contracted with a private company so it seemed unlikely that students tranfer to another uni after the course. I will talk to them again tomorrow anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dngttn
they contracted with a private company so it seemed unlikely that students tranfer to another uni after the course. I will talk to them again tomorrow anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they're threatening that you will lose your place at their partner university for applying elsewhere then it is worthwhile contacting the student union or similar at the partner university. It's likely that their partner university will stamp down on this sort of behaviour. The private company are supposed to be supporting you - forcing you to progress to only the partner university through threats and intimidation like this isn't what they should be doing.
Reply 7
that's exactly what I think I will talk to the international office if they cannot sort it out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending