The Student Room Group

How did you find the C2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RainBear
I'm dropping it next year :frown:

Did you decide that before you've done some exams?

Oh well, maths isnt for everybody (not meant towards only you but also myself but i think i can barely manage)
The paper was fine. The last question show that was a bit **** in that you had to see the arbitrary value by which to multiply everything, but otherwise it was fine. Dropped a mark for forgetting to plug x=16.63 into the perimiter equation at the end though 😤 Also there was no question 10, for those of you worried due to trolls...
Reply 22
I think it was hard paper. There was a question with a triangle and a sector inside and we had to find the perimeter of shaded region. Can anyone explain to me how to find it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HeskeyLAD
Did you decide that before you've done some exams?

Oh well, maths isnt for everybody (not meant towards only you but also myself but i think i can barely manage)

Yeah I decided to drop Spanish and maths and to continue Chem, bio, psych.
I was hoping to do veterinary but I've messed up and won't get into any uni now :frown:
Original post by Jin99
I think it was hard paper. There was a question with a triangle and a sector inside and we had to find the shaded region. Can anyone explain to me how to find it.

The area of a sector is 12θr2\frac{1}{2}\theta r^2 The triangle was equilateral so each angle was π3\frac{ \pi}{3}, so θ=ππ3=2π3\theta = \pi -\frac {\pi}{3} = \frac{2\pi}{3} as it lied on a straight line which is
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{ \pi}

Now we have θ=2π3,r=x\theta = \frac{2 \pi}{3} , r= x

So the area was (12)(2π3)x2=π3x2(\frac{1}{2})(\frac{2\pi}{3})x^2 =\frac{ \pi}{3} x^2
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
What? I don't understand what you said. Can you explain it in words please. :yes:
Original post by Jin99
What? I don't understand what you said. Can you explain it in words please. :yes:

I think you're getting confused, this question didn't actually involve a sector it just looked like one, instead, you needed to integrate below the curve and then take away the area of the triangle to be left with the area of R
Original post by Jin99

I was talking about the wrong question,^ Lewis has the idea.
I really wanted a B in maths, although C1 was alright, my timing and ability to think for this c2 paper was awful. So I'm annoyed that I may not even make it to the second year. Seeing unofficial markschemes and all. I just feel like in general I have flopped all my exams and I know I wont get the grades I want. Ah.
Reply 29
Original post by physicsamor
I really wanted a B in maths, although C1 was alright, my timing and ability to think for this c2 paper was awful. So I'm annoyed that I may not even make it to the second year. Seeing unofficial markschemes and all. I just feel like in general I have flopped all my exams and I know I wont get the grades I want. Ah.

What is the min grade in your school?
I'm so annoyed I think I lost about 8-10 marks in that paper, the last question and parts b,c and d of the binomial expansion question screwed me over

If I lost 8-10 marks do you think that may scrape an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
What is the min grade in your school?

A D, but I obviously don't want to get that but who knows.
Anyone got an unofficial question paper? plz inbox me
Reply 33
Original post by physicsamor
A D, but I obviously don't want to get that but who knows.

Do not panic yet.
Most students do better than they first thought
Original post by NotNotBatman
Easy, but I probably lost 5 marks for stupidly doing 4-2=-2 .

Same I found it easy, also lost marks stupidly, in the logs question, after letting

y=2xy = 2^{x}

and solving to find yy , i forgot to plug the value back into the equation to solve for xx

2 Marks lost or..?
I did it last year and got a C and this year was definitely easier and am pretty sure I only dropped 4 marks max. Then again I might've found it easier because I've been doing C3 and C4 for a year which are defo harder
Original post by MicroTyson
Same I found it easy, also lost marks stupidly, in the logs question, after letting

y=2xy = 2^{x}

and solving to find yy , i forgot to plug the value back into the equation to solve for xx

2 Marks lost or..?

Probably 2 Marks if you found the correct values for y.
Reply 37
Can someone definitively remember for part ii of question 6 (the trigonometric question) whether the answers were specifically asked for in degrees?
Reply 38
This exam was easy. In all honesty, if you couldn't do the two "show that questions" in question 9 then you really shouldn't be doing A-Level maths.
Reply 39
Original post by d14m
Can someone definitively remember for part ii of question 6 (the trigonometric question) whether the answers were specifically asked for in degrees?

Considering the range was between 0 and 360 degrees...you would be foolish to use radians. Nonetheless, I do believe as long as you show your method, you do not lose all the marks in those types of questions if you used the wrong mode on your calculator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending