The Student Room Group

English Literature AQA poetry exam 2016 predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellatolfrey

ALSO does anyone know how to structure a comparison answer? because i usually do it intro, language, structure, conclusion but i know there are better ways so please help!

I would compare structure before language
Original post by dennissingh99
How likely is it of AQA repeating the poems from previous years? Has it happened before in this syllabus?

no it hasn't happened before, trust me i've checked all the papers :smile:
Original post by ElaArslan
I would compare structure before language

okay thank you!! how do you usually structrure your comparison essay?
How likely is it of AQA repeating the poems from previous years? Has it happened before in this syllabus?

My Last Duchess came up in June 2011 and June 2015, but since this is the very last year of this specification I think it's more likely that at least one of the only two poems that haven't come up will come up (Give and The Ruined Maid). :smile:
For Conflict cluster:
June 2013:: power & hawk roosting OR destructive impact of conflict & the yellow palm
june 2014:: effects of conflict on people & out of the blue OR feelings of confusion & come on come back
june 2015:: ideas about conlict & mametz wood OR fear & bayonet charge

so it could be flag, belfast confetti, futility, the right word, at the border, poppies, the charge of the light brigade or the falling leaves or next to of course america i

hope this helps :smile:

ALSO does anyone know how to structure a comparison answer? because i usually do it intro, language, structure, conclusion but i know there are better ways so please help!

I quite hope its next to of course god america i. I actually like the poem and because of the difficulty, the markers will most likely be lenient with their marking.

As for structure, I got taught this. Do one from each section as a focus point (But if a different effect, even from a section you have used shares the same effect, then do that.)

Meaning:
Title
Subject
Voice (s)
Deeper meaning(s)

Structure:
Stanzas
Opening
Closing
Sections
(Ir)regular
Rhythm/Rhyme
Repetition

Line Flow:
Line Length
End-stopping
Enjambement
Caesura
Punctuation

Vocabulary:
Verbs
Adjectives
Semantic Field

Imagery:
Similes
Metaphors
Personification
Pathetic Fallacy

Should be 5-6 paragraphs sorted if you do one of each. I normally do Title, Opening/Ending, Stanza, End-stopping/Enjambement , adjectives and metaphor/personification

Otherwise, good luck guys!!

aha sorry i meant for the CONFLICT cluster only, i do not know about Relationships, Place or Character and Voice. sorry for the confusion
Original post by Zoroarrkk
I quite hope its next to of course god america i. I actually like the poem and because of the difficulty, the markers will most likely be lenient with their marking.

As for structure, I got taught this. Do one from each section as a focus point (But if a different effect, even from a section you have used shares the same effect, then do that.)

Meaning:
Title
Subject
Voice (s)
Deeper meaning(s)

Structure:
Stanzas
Opening
Closing
Sections
(Ir)regular
Rhythm/Rhyme
Repetition

Line Flow:
Line Length
End-stopping
Enjambement
Caesura
Punctuation

Vocabulary:
Verbs
Adjectives
Semantic Field

Imagery:
Similes
Metaphors
Personification
Pathetic Fallacy

Should be 5-6 paragraphs sorted if you do one of each. I normally do Title, Opening/Ending, Stanza, End-stopping/Enjambement , adjectives and metaphor/personification

Otherwise, good luck guys!!

this is so helpful thank you so so so much!
okay thank you!! how do you usually structrure your comparison essay?

You just basically write two paragraphs in one- if you know what I mean, with a sentence at the end saying 'one uses this whereas the other uses this in order (example) show the readers how people were affected by conflict'. Referencing back to the first poem while you talk about your second one can help the examiners understand that you know what you're doing

I don't think its happened before in the syllabus, I think it may be charge of the light brigade, Belfast confetti or poppies
For Conflict cluster:
June 2013:: power & hawk roosting OR destructive impact of conflict & the yellow palm
june 2014:: effects of conflict on people & out of the blue OR feelings of confusion & come on come back

so it could be flag, belfast confetti, futility, the right word, at the border, poppies, the charge of the light brigade or the falling leaves or next to of course america i

My teacher has always taught us to structure an answer by only picking up on the points you can write the most quality stuff about. He also said that introductions don't necessarily gain any marks, it's something I've never bothered with (in an exam scenario).
General structure goes like this:
-Make a general comparison to open your first paragraph
-Analyse your chosen point of your first poem
-Another point of comparison to lead into your analysis of the other poem
-Final comparison (don't just repeat stuff though- word it differently or have a slightly different take on an idea)

I've used this structure on all my comparison and it's got me A*s on all of them, however, if you've got a usual structure I might suggest sticking to that or practice this one before the exam

I hope this helps! Good luck bro!:smile:
For Conflict cluster:

Make sure you include writers intentions, readers response and a comparative sentence as well.
no it hasn't happened before, trust me i've checked all the papers :smile:

They repeated one poem in 2015 for relationships that had come up in 2011...
Reply 32
Loneliness and compare it to hunchback in the park that is a gift
Original post by Jemima Gray
My predictions are either: Belfast confetti, poppies, futility, charge of the light brigade... what do you guys think will come up (I'm doing conflict cluster btw.)

Thanks for that
Original post by Georgia Hermione
All I know is that the next year elevens won't be able to have the text in front of them they'll have to learn the poems off by heart

Wow. That's ridiculous tbh. It seems like new GCSEs are testing mostly on ur ability to memorise than any other skill. Then I think ... QuickDraw or yesterday or to his coy mistress may come up tomorrow
image.jpeghere's a little grid that somebody made for the conflict cluster on what's most/least likely to come up - i hope it helps! good luck everybody, i'm scared because i'm less confident with poetry than the OMAM and AIC exam, but i'm sure that we will all be fine! :smile: (the red ones are the poems that have never come up before!)
Me, do you have any predictions ?
Reply 37
Does anyone think that harmonium will come up for the relationship cluster?
Original post by Elliot864
only 2 that haven't come up yet are give and ruined maid so high chance they may come up ( character and voice)

So every other poem apart for those 2 have appeared for character and voice?

This is the last year of this spec so if these 2 havent come up they most likely will.
Reply 39
I think it will be To his Coy Mistress, Brothers, In Paris with you, Prasie song for my mother or Neetles and maybe Hour or one of the sonnets
You guys are focusing totally of the ones which haven't come up but look at how Manhunt came up three times and so any previous one can come up too.
Either way you need to know all the poems to compare it with and so theirs kinda no point in focusimg on only two poems.
Just a suggestion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending