The Student Room Group

NCS

Hi

Is anyone going this summer?

I am a bit worried as i cannot make friends and the activities sound really social ...
I'm shy too and quiet any advice for me? I don't know if I made the right choice or not.

Thanks
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi

I am a bit worried as i cannot make friends and the activities sound really social ...
I'm shy too and quiet any advice for me? I don't know if I made the right choice or not.

Thanks

yes i am going! :smile: what dates and location are you going to? I think it looks like a really good experience, i would just say to try and enjoy yourself and have fun :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi

Thanks

I'm going, I actually just got an e-mail from them saying something about an information evening
Reply 3
Original post by oliviamarie16
yes i am going! :smile: what dates and location are you going to? I think it looks like a really good experience, i would just say to try and enjoy yourself and have fun :smile:

In August! :smile:
I have the exact date written somewhere but can't remember right now as I paid for it months ago.

Reply 4
Original post by Kiniun
I'm going, I actually just got an e-mail from them saying something about an information evening

Great! What do you think about it and how will you make friends there? Any advice.
Original post by _Xenon_
In August! :smile:
I have the exact date written somewhere but can't remember right now as I paid for it months ago.

ahh i am going in July! I would say just be yourself when talking to others and all of the reviews i have read all say that most groups become very friendly after the first day
Reply 6
I wanted to go but none of my friends are going and I'm a really anxious person so I was scared so I didn't sign up. kinda regretting it tho:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Great! What do you think about it and how will you make friends there? Any advice.

I think it's a great opportunity to try out activities that I would never have the initiative to do myself.
It's gonna prepare me for college where I will be forced to make new friends :redface:. When my friend went she said bringing food on the first day is a sure way to make friends, so I'm gonna bring like a massive bag of snacks and open it up on the coach and then people will pay attention to me lol
Reply 8
Original post by rihana.c
I wanted to go but none of my friends are going and I'm a really anxious person so I was scared so I didn't sign up. kinda regretting it tho:frown:

I'm anxious and I don't have any friends but still signed up, worried though. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Is it too late now??
Reply 9
Original post by oliviamarie16
ahh i am going in July! I would say just be yourself when talking to others and all of the reviews i have read all say that most groups become very friendly after the first day

Thanks but being myself is bad. I'm QUIET and can't talk to people. That is me being myself. :frown:

What do u think??
Reply 10
Original post by Kiniun
I think it's a great opportunity to try out activities that I would never have the initiative to do myself.
It's gonna prepare me for college where I will be forced to make new friends :redface:. When my friend went she said bringing food on the first day is a sure way to make friends, so I'm gonna bring like a massive bag of snacks and open it up on the coach and then people will pay attention to me lol

Loool nice idea haha :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by _Xenon_
I'm anxious and I don't have any friends but still signed up, worried though. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Is it too late now??

I'm not sure if it is too late but if i did go my mum is a little worried as ive never been away from home properly before so I'm not sure ahhh
Reply 12
I'm not sure if it is too late but if i did go my mum is a little worried as ive never been away from home properly before so I'm not sure ahhh

I'm sure there will be others in a similar situation...
I'm very nervous and haven't been away from home either
Hi :smile: I did NCS in February (which is much shorter) and like you, I'm quiet and shy and not great with many people, but you really get to bond with your team and I really got on well with them. The level of support you get is absolutely amazing too, especially when I did the high ropes challenges etc.

Basically, it's one of those things that you'll worry about but once it's over, you'll want to do it again :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Hi :smile: I did NCS in February (which is much shorter) and like you, I'm quiet and shy and not great with many people, but you really get to bond with your team and I really got on well with them. The level of support you get is absolutely amazing too, especially when I did the high ropes challenges etc.

Basically, it's one of those things that you'll worry about but once it's over, you'll want to do it again :smile:

Do they put you in groups or do they expect you to get in a random group yourself?

Thanks
Original post by _Xenon_
Do they put you in groups or do they expect you to get in a random group yourself?

Thanks

They put you into groups themselves, don't worry :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by IKEAPanda37
They put you into groups themselves, don't worry :smile:

That is better, thanks. At least it isn't as bad as I thought. :smile:

I am still worried about having to communicate with strangers as I have very poor social and communication skills too. :frown:
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi

Thanks

I've made a thread that covers some of the frequently asked questions on tsr about ncs, including one about your worries. One of the questions is on making friends and meeting new people from my experience: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3859925

Hope it helps! There is other stuff I've mentioned there if you had any other concerns too. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Xenon_
That is better, thanks. At least it isn't as bad as I thought. :smile:

I am still worried about having to communicate with strangers as I have very poor social and communication skills too. :frown:

NCS is amazing - like absolutely one of the best times I had. If I could go back there again, I would.
Honestly don't be so worried. You'll be placed in groups and there are ice-breaker sessions so they everyone can get to know each other. I'm extremely shy in person and I managed to make so many friends.

You'll be fine - just remember they're all people too and they'll be quite a few of them on their own as well.

Have fun!

This was me about a year ago, my friends decided they didn't want to so I didn't either and regretted it latter. Luckily, I had the chance again to do it in autumn and did it this time! You might have another opportunity too if you're in Year 11 currently?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending