The Student Room Group

Why is there such a low percentage of educated people in certain areas of the U.K.?

First of all I'm not trying to start a fight, just curious. :smile:
I live in North Wales- it's notorious for having a very small percentage of an educated population ( further education including sixthform and college and uni degrees)
It's also well know that students from this area have a much higher chance of being accepted into the higher ranking uni's due to the educational deprivation. I have witnessed multiple times adults (25+) not being able to divide or multiply or solve simple maths problems or read and write properly.
It's truly horrifying that so many adults do not have even basic skills never mind having a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

They have a much higher cchance becayse they lack qualifications?
Why not just sit down and think and list the factors which influence whether or not someone succeeds and proceds with education?
Arent the reasons obvious?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
They have a much higher cchance becayse they lack qualifications?
Why not just sit down and think and list the factors which influence whether or not someone succeeds and proceds with education?
Arent the reasons obvious?

They have a much higher chance because they attend sixthform and get B+ grades while everyone doensnt even bother to show up to school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izxxx
They have a much higher chance because they attend sixthform and get B+ grades while everyone doensnt even bother to show up to school

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your post says they have a much higher chance because of educational deprivation? explain how that works. You apply to a top uni and they give you a lower offer?

The other bit is just make a list the reasons are obvious why some children succeed and others do not.
Reply 4
Yeah they give you a contextual offer which is usually 1-2 grades lower than the average offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izxxx
First of all I'm not trying to start a fight, just curious. :smile:
I live in North Wales- it's notorious for having a very small percentage of an educated population ( further education including sixthform and college and uni degrees)
It's also well know that students from this area have a much higher chance of being accepted into the higher ranking uni's due to the educational deprivation. I have witnessed multiple times adults (25+) not being able to divide or multiply or solve simple maths problems or read and write properly.
It's truly horrifying that so many adults do not have even basic skills never mind having a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people just don't value education. Look at places like Japan, South Korea and China, all of these countries value education as the main priority so that's why these countries do considerably better than us. It also depends on your parents, whether your parents value or disregard education. If your parents push you to do well at a younger age then you are more likely to do well. It also depends on your atmosphere, what youngsters' friends are like and how people are there generally in the area. So let's say, you leave in a ghetto area with thugs that speak 'great'(nonsense more like) English then you are less likely to do well. It also depends on your school, how the teachers are like, whether or not the school is doing good academically and so forth.

These factors are the main triggers of whether or not a person does well or not because it would either help the person to do well at school or do bad. Either way, it always depends on the person.
Teachers can't be arsed to live in North Wales?
Original post by Defraction
Some people just don't value education. Look at places like Japan, South Korea and China, all of these countries value education as the main priority so that's why these countries do considerably better than us. It also depends on your parents, whether your parents value or disregard education. If your parents push you to do well at a younger age then you are more likely to do well. It also depends on your atmosphere, what youngsters' friends are like and how people are there generally in the area. So let's say, you leave in a ghetto area with thugs that speak 'great'(nonsense more like) English then you are less likely to do well. It also depends on your school, how the teachers are like, whether or not the school is doing good academically and so forth.

These factors are the main triggers of whether or not a person does well or not because it would either help the person to do well at school or do bad. Either way, it always depends on the person.

This!
Some people just don't value education. Look at places like Japan, South Korea and China, all of these countries value education as the main priority so that's why these countries do considerably better than us.

And which of these has higher standards of living than us?
As for Japan - their economy is saddled with a ridiculous level of debt.
Original post by queen-bee
This!

Why?!
Original post by MagicNMedicine
And which of these has higher standards of living than us?
As for Japan - their economy is saddled with a ridiculous level of debt.

A country that has enormous amounts of debt does not equate to the amount of educated people. You should blame the Japan's government for causing the country so much sorrow economically but the government's doing has nothing got to do with the amount of educated people. When I meant the government's structure, I meant whether or not the government values education, as well as the country as a whole, of course Japan values education. Just remember, what the government does with the country's money is a different issue to the amount of educated people.

Also, the life expectancy is a different issue to the number of educated people. You can be uneducated but have a high expectancy. Life expectancy is based on your how effective your body is, if your body is a strong system then you are more likely to live longer as opposed to someone who ruins their body by eating junk food and smokes all the time.

Higher standards of living and how a country does economically is not a factor to how well a person does. It may be a factor but not a significant one as opposed to family upbringing, whether or not the country values education and the person's atmosphere.
Why?!

I usually get happy like little stuff like so. Very weird, I know:tongue:
I usually get happy like little stuff like so. Very weird, I know:tongue:

Let celebrate then
Hello! I'm also from one of these low-preforming areas in England, a town above London. Honestly, I think there's a lot of factors at play, and I'll talk in reference to a lot of people I know IRL and how I've seen them follow education.

Firstly, I think it's important to note that their parents are often from poorly-educated backgrounds themselves, which makes it harder to see themselves getting a good education, going to a good university, and working/living a high-brow lifestyle. There's always a few outliers of course, but generally people don't have high hopes. Similarly to this, there's more manual labour jobs advertised here than, I suspect, there would be in the city- like car repair shops, builders, plumbers, etc. People don't care about education because all they need is a few Cs, if that, to get a job- which is pretty important for them as this areas has a fairly high poverty ratio.

I also think the schools themselves are a big impact on how well they do/don't do. My high school was (is) pretty divided between people who were going to do well vs people who didn't care, and there's definitely elitism within the years that cut off lower-preforming students. This ties in with setting as well IMO, as there were some students and friends of mine I never got to talk to in class time because they were always in lower sets, and the lower the set, the worse the teacher! Not to say that the teachers were good either; a lot of teachers in these areas are ones that want to move, ones that can't get better jobs, or ones that grew up here themselves. This kind of puts students into the position of thinking they'll be here forever, which isn't something anyone really wants.

Equally, there have been many very good teachers who can't handle the disruption in class and leave to teach somewhere better. We had a couple of very good maths teachers who left for a better school in the country, and one in Africa, because they wanted students who were keen to learn and active in the classroom. Punishments can often be negotiated, even if the teacher doesn't want them to be, and rarely stand up as a means of discipline One example of this I remember was last year, in Year 11, someone in my class was having his phone confiscated, went back and forth with the teacher for a good 10 minutes (of class time), and ultimately 'won' in having her give up and go back to teaching the class. More extreme examples of this would be fights and people bringing weaponry into the school only having it confiscated and an often unanswered phone-call home to their parents.

When I entered my high school, we were promised a new building to be finished by the time we were in Year 9, but the government cut out funding and the construction hadn't started until our final term in Year 11. This goes across the board really- lack of government funding has left lots of schools in my area deprived from necessary things, like wages to pay good teachers, equipment (we ran out of exercise books, working computers, and even chairs for people to sit on), and so on. It just wasn't the proper atmosphere for a lot of students to work in, and time was mostly spent complaining than it was trying to focus on education- which didn't really matter because the teachers weren't great anyway.

Similarly, going off from slang, lots of teachers here use it which has led to some people writing it into the essays and work. I don't think there's anything to say students talking in slang can't write good essays, but it definitely goes impact. Notably, this area has a very low literacy rate- lots of people can't write well and struggle to read, but that could be because of a mixture of poor primary/high school education, as well as because a lot of people who come into this area have just moved from a foreign country and don't speak English that well yet. They definitely catch up, but for immediate figures it does create the idea that absolutely no one here can speak fluent English- which isn't true at all.

However, the college I attend right now has incredibly low expectations. Generally the goal is to get a C, and they will tell you that., It's not about improving your knowledge and climbing the intellectual ladder, it's about doing X, Y, and Z and using these buzzwords will get you a passing grade. Not exactly a technique I agree with, but it is teaching students that there's always leeways into passing grades, which I think gives them a lower impression of it. There's also a much larger proportion of students doing BTEC than there are of those doing A-Levels, which I think is simply reflective of how many students have been pushed away from traditional academics because of poor education beforehand,

Sorry for the rant! TL;DR: In my experience, it's the poor schools, parents history, teacher disinterest, and culture of the poor that pushes these students away from academic education. I'm sure I missed stuff but I just woke up and I always have a lot to say about this. Universities lowing entry requirements for students from low-preforming areas is definitely something I am completely for, and has helped lots of students leave this town and go to university to get a good education and eventually good careers! But I wish we had the resources and money to offer support for all students to help them reach their potential from the get-go. Lots of students are, eventually, left behind as failures while teachers put more effort into high-preforming students in order to maintain an ever-dropping rate of passing students.
Let celebrate then

We shall. Let's put on some JB Music

[video="youtube;thIVtEOtlWM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIVtEOtlWM [/video]

Legend
We shall. Let's put on some JB Music

[video="youtube;thIVtEOtlWM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIVtEOtlWM [/video]

Legend

Omg childhood memories
To add on (sorry for the double post lol), I have seen students failed by their teachers- me included. Take GCSE Spanish for example. My teacher spent more time eating in class and yelling at people for not doing the online homework he set, rather than actually teaching us. He also couldn't really speak Spanish that well. Generally, I'm a good student and left HS with mostly As, but my Spanish grade was a D. In my high school, and I'm sure in many others, there always will be cases of teachers failing students- either because they've given up, or they didn't care much in the first place.
Omg childhood memories

Great song!!! I'm so glad I found him again when I started listening to Kendrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great song!!! I'm so glad I found him again when I started listening to Kendrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's got 10 kids now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending