The Student Room Group

Does fear of oblivion make you believe in life after death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Asuna Yuuki
I reckon there's, well, absolutely nothing.

Your brain dies so you can't think any more, so you can't really care about the fact that you're dead.

Just sayin' :redface:

Of course, but that's all once you're dead already. I wanted to know what people think whilst they're still alive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by macsalaama
Of course, but that's all once you're dead already. I wanted to know what people think whilst they're still alive :smile:

Well, I guess I don't fear death because of that ~ we just live what we can and try and survive as long as possible, everything comes to an end some day :cute:
Mainly my desire to see lost family and friends again is the reason why i believe in life after death
Reply 23
Original post by ModernGoodGuy
Haha yeh it's a combination of two passages of the bible which is strange way to comfort me if I was an atheist :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Duly noted:yy:
Afterlife seems to differ depending on who you're talking to. Do you believe in the typical heaven and hell, or something different?

Original post by WhimsicalSloth
I don't believe in a life after death but my fear of death remains the same unfortunately. :redface: And my fear of death does not encourage me to want to believe in an afterlife either.

If you don't mind me asking, Is it death you're scared of or the process of dying?

Thanks boss, I'll read it :yy:

" The simplest examples of cultural values that manage the terror of death are those that purport to offer literal immortality "
I've always disliked the thought of immortality. Maybe that plays a roll in why I don't believe in life after death 🤔

Original post by CorpusLuteum
I feel like, there must be some spiritual thing going on when you're dead. Like, idk it might even be that you can hear people at your grave or something... and if you're cremated then you're OMG imagine you could hear whales if your ashes were chucked in an ocean.

I'm not sure if that's comforting or terrifying :redface: the whales would just gobble up the ashes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess its hard to comprehend how my entire consciousness will ultimately end up being nothing. That doesn't make me believe in an afterlife though. I've always craved the numbness of it all, to be nothing and to feel nothing.

If you don't mind me asking, Is it death you're scared of or the process of dying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both if I'm honest, although I know that the process of dying will (hopefully) be only momentary. Oblivion is eternal or never-ending, and the idea of there being total nothing-ness forever is utterly terrifying to me. Of course before I was born I was non-existent then, and I was totally unaware of it. But maybe that is what fuels the fear that I have, because imagining being non-existent gives me an idea of how final it will be overall. :redface:

It's made me wonder whether many religious people choose to believe in an afterlife, because they want it to exist, rather than because they know deep-down that it does.
Reply 26
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
Both if I'm honest, although I know that the process of dying will (hopefully) be only momentary. Oblivion is eternal or never-ending, and the idea of there being total nothing-ness forever is utterly terrifying to me. Of course before I was born I was non-existent then, and I was totally unaware of it. But maybe that is what fuels the fear that I have, because imagining being non-existent gives me an idea of how final it will be overall. :redface:

It's made me wonder whether many religious people choose to believe in an afterlife, because they want it to exist, rather than because they know deep-down that it does.

It can be a daunting thought, but peaceful too in some ways :yep:

It is a comforting thought knowing this isn't the end, I guess it makes dying easier?
But at the same time, why do we want to live for as long as possible if this world is only temporary? (No need to answer this, just throwing random thoughts and questions around lol)

The same could be said about God. Is He real or do we want him to be the reason behind our existence and/or the one to ensure justice is served regardless of what happens here on Earth... that's a topic for another day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As the title says, what are your thoughts?

Think about the oblivion that existed in the time before you were born, that's what I believe will be after death
All meaning in this life is created in our minds, our ultimate and true existential nature is that very oblivion, and you don't have to be dead to get in touch with it
When people practice meditation and mindfulness, they're watching the handprints of life and existence, of nature and this world unfold, at a very deep level you realise that all this meaning is just that, an expression of life, it is not 'you'
And when you realise that none of it is 'you' and that 'you' therefore are not there to be so called alive or dead in the first place, then again you begin to understand what your true existential nature is

But that's going deep and most of us just cannot grasp it with all our conditioning of the human ego, if only we put in a lot of effort into our personal growth and actualization
Reply 28
Original post by saeed9731
I mean oblivion is cool and all that, but can it beat the 95-96 bulls?

The 76-77 Canadiens could give them a run though.
I'm "scared" in a way of death, but believing in magic isn't the way to deal with that.
anything which annoys atheists is good by me :h:
Reply 31
Fear of Hell?
I can't speak for everyone but eternal life in heaven sounds both boring and creepy too.

Nobody will be forced to go there if they don't want to. Maybe you'd find the other destination more entertaining.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending