The Student Room Group

Why do parents compare their kids to other kids?

It doesn't make any sense if you want to show off, a kid is a pretty expensive thing to get JUST to show off. Plus it's only harming your kids and getting them down. What benefit or good solid reason is there to compare children? I mean you can compare other parents wages, i mean that's pretty devastating to the parent who earns less right? No-one gets anything good out of it.
(Used from GradeAUnderA's video)

[video="youtube;Ko4leGFOGx8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4leGFOGx8[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Why not?
Reply 2
They are cretins. Leading sad pathetic lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All parents do that:frown:
But I have some useful advice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHMXbZml_s
I don't understand either, i suppose is to motivate you to do well and prove people wrong.

I don't think parents do that/say that intentionally, they want the best for you.
To make themselves feel better about being **** parents.
I think it's evil tbh. Parents know how cruel kids can be to each other so to amp those rivalries and self esteem issues expecting it to have a positive outcome is just pathological. Just make your kid as best as they can and stop being passive aggressive with other adults through your kids.
Original post by 0to100
I think it's evil tbh. Parents know how cruel kids can be to each other so to amp those rivalries and self esteem issues expecting it to have a positive outcome is just pathological. Just make your kid as best as they can and stop being passive aggressive with other adults through your kids.

OML my mum does that. :frown: She compares me to 21-yr-old girls and say that they clean up, they vacuum, they help their parents, they do this, they do that. Makes me go crazy, honestly, lolz. :colone:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
OML my mum does that. :frown: She compares me to 21-yr-old girls and say that they clean up, they vacuum, they help their parents, they do this, they do that. Makes me go crazy, honestly, lolz. :colone:

Yea she's just doing that because she can't pluck it up herself to just set the example, so she compares you to random people. It's weird. I've never really had it done to me though. I mean sometimes my mum would try to humble me which is wrong, she should be uplifting me not shooting me down when I feel confident about something. But whatever. Parents don't have handbooks on how to not be stupid themselves.
Compare them to other parents, they'll get defensive about it and be like "well I'm not other parents I'm me" and be like "well I'm not like other kids I'm me TOO" :lol:.
Original post by 0to100
Yea she's just doing that because she can't pluck it up herself to just set the example, so she compares you to random people. It's weird. I've never really had it done to me though. I mean sometimes my mum would try to humble me which is wrong, she should be uplifting me not shooting me down when I feel confident about something. But whatever. Parents don't have handbooks on how to not be stupid themselves.

I've faced her with it, and had like a b***chy fight about it lol, but she so annoying like, trust me, like how we meant to do something or feel passionate about something when all our parents do is shoot us down, like it's just not fair, ngl, I'ma start comparin' my mum to my friend (Safa)'s mum, because she's so lovely, wish my mum was like her. :frown: Life not fair......:s-smilie:
I've faced her with it, and had like a b***chy fight about it lol, but she so annoying like, trust me, like how we meant to do something or feel passionate about something when all our parents do is shoot us down, like it's just not fair, ngl, I'ma start comparin' my mum to my friend (Safa)'s mum, because she's so lovely, wish my mum was like her. :frown: Life not fair......:s-smilie:

Lmao omd you should do that...
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Compare them to other parents, they'll get defensive about it and be like "well I'm not other parents I'm me" and be like "well I'm not like other kids I'm me TOO" :lol:.

(@Reachin4TheStars See? Do this lol)
Original post by 0to100
Lmao omd you should do that...

LMAO like b***ch you dress like her, act like her, speak like her, revolve your whole f***kin life around her bruv. I'ma totes start tht soon :smile:
LMAO like b***ch you dress like her, act like her, speak like her, revolve your whole f***kin life around her bruv. I'ma totes start tht soon :smile:

Well don't call her a ***** if you wanna keep your lips but yea just compare her to other parents.
Original post by 0to100
(@Reachin4TheStars See? Do this lol)

LMAOOOOOOO I am too haha tht's so true, OML she's starting again oml b***chy s***t. :frown: Hate her more than the f****kin IDEK. :colone: & Then ppl say you should care and respect your parents, like yh we get it but they gotta f****kin think about us too, it ain't all about them.:colonhash:
LMAOOOOOOO I am too haha tht's so true, OML she's starting again oml b***chy s***t. :frown: Hate her more than the f****kin IDEK. :colone: & Then ppl say you should care and respect your parents, like yh we get it but they gotta f****kin think about us too, it ain't all about them.:colonhash:

What's she doing right now...
Nah, my parents compare me to when they younger. And how they had it compared to me.

Like we used to have one grain of rice for dinner or we had one piece of lego for Christmas type of suffering ygm.
Original post by 0to100
What's she doing right now...

Why can't you be like, you couldn't do s***t if you wished, your just a mouthy s***g and all you do is fight, :blah::ashamed:
My parents do that so much they compare me to my friends. They say my friends are better than me at this subject and I should be more like them then when I tell them I'm better than that friend at another subject they get annoyed. They say I should only look st good aspects of others and ignore the bad ones and try to be more like the good ones.

Again that was worded really weirdly

Quick Reply

Latest