The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

can someone go through the waves questions... i know everyone is saying it was easy but i can't remember what it was.
all i remember:

- define a progressive wave - a wave that travels through a medium?
- tick 2 boxes about a sound wave - that they can interfere and are longitudinal ?
- something about the amplitude and what effect increasing the frequency would do?
- can't remember what else there was?

anyone?
1) resultant of rock = 196N

moments taken from rock

1.2m*32g>0.8m*46g hence plank wont tilt

2) 11.83ms for speed

High point was 1.3m above starting point using suvat

Horizontal distance before hitting floor was 13.9M done by using pythagorus using 11.83^2-5^2 then square root to find horizontal velocity then times by 1.3 seconds which was time of flight

A was at bottom of arc and B was at the highest point

3) extension =0.2m
distance travelled 1.2m
mass=0.4kg

Velocity of brick after leaving spring = 3.3ms (used KE=mv^2/2)

friction force was 1.8N

elastic potential.

KE from elastic potential gave brick 2.2j.....but you need to add the energy lost from resistive force

force was 1.8 and distance was 0.2 (extension of spring) so elastic potential = 1.8*0.2+2.2=2.56j

Use E to find force produced by the spring

2E/extension = F = 23.8N (no1 else put this so probs wrong)

4) dont remember answer but this was the rocket question....

sum total of rockets mass, then f=ma to find acceleration = A

then the newtons laws part,

the difference was the direction
the similarity was the magnitude of forces

5) if this was the 6 marker?

Trucks final velocity higher due to less friction from tire/road surface as mass was less
initial gradient was the same but subsequently increased due to mass loss

6) Define a progressive wave- Not actually sure on this, I put
A wave that transfers energy along the path of the waves trajectory, without transferring mass (probably wrong)

Tick 2 boxes, I ticked transverse and can interfere

then you needed frequency which i think was time = 44ms so 1/t =f f=22.7 round down to 22hz

wavelength I think was 0.8m

then another part i dont remember

then velocity which was lambda*f= 18.2ms (could be wrong my memory is flagging)

7) A.) What colour would you see first as you turn to first order? (Violet)

as violet smallest wavelength so least diffraction and microscope looked in to out

B.) What angle is the first order at? (dsin(theta)=lambda)

C.) How many maxima will there be? (d=n(lambda) gave 3.39 so 3)

8) angle was around 24degrees, the second material was better at producing TIR as the critical angle is less so more angles of light can hit it while still reflecting, and then the diamond diagram question

I realise there are lots of gaps...anyone who has better versions of the later questions post them up......Its hard to recreate paper when you panicked for the last 30 minutes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by txnilxnur
can someone go through the waves questions... i know everyone is saying it was easy but i can't remember what it was.
all i remember:

- tick 2 boxes about a sound wave - that they can interfere and are longitudinal ?
- something about the amplitude and what effect increasing the frequency would do?

anyone?

Calculate frequency, amplitude, wavelength, wave speed etc from the graph.
all i remember:

anyone?

I added them though i think i missed a part
If anyone can remember the diamonds one, are can say why my elastic potential is wrong (i think it is) then post so I can finish up the mark scheme
Original post by philo-jitsu
If anyone can remember the diamonds one, are can say why my elastic potential is wrong (i think it is) then post so I can finish up the mark scheme

What was your elastic potential? I did 0.5*1.8*0.2 I think. No idea if that is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 606
Am I like the only person who can never remember what their answers were just after an exam. Wtf man >_<
Reply 607

For q1, did you take moments about the rock or the embankment??
Original post by boyyo

Originally I did the bank but changed itnti the rock and got more suitable answers (they were both in the 30's) as suppose to something which was in the 1,000's haha.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Reply 609
Original post by CALI1198
Originally I did the bank but changed itnti the rock and got more suitable answers (they were both in the 30's) as suppose to something which was in the 1,000's haha.

lol yh I took moments about the embankment and got large values. Would this be incorrect then?
Original post by boyyo

yeah, it was maybe doable the other way but you would have had to change the force from the rock as the downward force from the kid is now a factor
all i remember:

anyone?

I put:

Progressive wave- where energy can travel in the direction of the wave travel. (Might have f'd that up)

Longitudinal and can interfere was correct.

Increasing frequency reduces wavelength therefore you would see more peaks measured between A and B on figure 11. (Said something very similar to that)

Again, that last one was 3 marks and idk if I said enough to justify it

Original post by JamieOH
What was your elastic potential? I did 0.5*1.8*0.2 I think. No idea if that is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same.
Original post by JamieOH

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that exact thing....then wondered for 5 minutes how 0.18j of potential could create 2.2j of kinetic energy on the brick...so i just added it to the 2.2j

other people used resistive force (1.8) times distance brick covers during extension (0.2) then used fd=work done = 0.36 then added to 2.2j which is 2.56

unfortunately i think other people are correct lol

Trying to draw it out. What information did they give again?

For the elastic potential I just used ratios. 2.2J over 1.2 Meters so worked out J's per metre 2.2/1.2= 1.83 recurring
1.83. * 0.2 = 0.36......
2.2+0.36= 2.56? god knows lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I did the same.

I did the same i think. I remember 0.18j

I did that exact thing....then wondered for 5 minutes how 0.18j of potential could create 2.2j of kinetic energy on the brick...so i just added it to the 2.2j

other people used resistive force (1.8) times distance brick covers during extension (0.2) then used fd=work done = 0.36 then added to 2.2j which is 2.56

unfortunately i think other people are correct lol

Very good point, didn't think of it like that!

Original post by CALI1198

Trying to draw it out. What information did they give again?

compressed by 0.2
I should be able to get a look at the paper tomorrow from my teacher. I'll try and sneak a few pics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending