The Student Room Group

Nearly disqualified from exam??! what should i do?

Hi,

Ive never posted on here, so I'm not sure how this will go, so here goes..

Recently I've been given word processing (chance to use computer) for my exams this year, due to my weird pen grip that gives me painful hand cramps. Ive never used a computer before in any exam and wasn't given any instructions on what to do, just that it would be a word document that I would write on and then print out.

When i got to my seat, the computer wasn't logged in and as everyone else was typing, I assumed i had to log in as normal, so i logged into my college account. Then i didn't know what to do next so called the invigilator over who showed me how to get onto word and didn't say anything about me being on my own account (this will be relevant in a minute). After my exam i was told to print, again i didn't know where to print to etc, so called invigilator over again who showed me but we couldn't find the examiner printer. After ages, she realised i was on my own account and called another invigilator who were both really harsh and accused me of cheating straight off the bat and kept saying something about me having to be on an "examiners account" (which i had never heard of in my life), i started crying at this point, panicking i would be disqualified.

Due to me crying, fasting and having had called the invigilator over few times, they took pity on me and allowed me to print my exam and let me go home. Now im terrified to use a computer for all my other exams as this was my first and i still dont know what im supposed to do. My parents want to complain about lack of instructions (there was nothing on the board, no one told me what to do and i wasn't given any logins), the invigilator coming over and looking at my screen and failing to notice anything and the harsh treatment from examiners who accused me of cheating straight away. But I dont want them to complain, in fear it will get worse and they will disqualify me. Should i just be grateful and do he rest of my exams or complain like everyone is telling me too...i dont want to push my luck, i just want good exam results to get to uni :frown:
I cant see hopw they can accuse you of cheating, they cna say you are in breach of the rules.
What they probably realised is that they implemented the rules incorrectly in the first place, thus they were partly to blame. They were also to blame for not reporting it. Thye would get into toruble for that, so by letting you off they saved themselves as well.

You have two options.

1. You now know you shouldnt be logged into your own account. Get to the exam early, remind the inviglator you are allowed to use the computer and allow them to set it up. That way responsibiliyu is theirs and they should log onto the correct account.
2. You can contact the exam officer for formal instructions and make them aware of the mix up, but if they havent told the exam officer, then it could raise more fuss.

Theres no point complaining unless, they decided to take action about it, which they dont seem to be.
Focus on your exams, complain after if need be, but for now, focus and dont worry. Let them set it up for you. You dont need instrucctions for that.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I cant see hopw they can accuse you of cheating, they cna say you are in breach of the rules.
What they probably realised is that they implemented the rules incorrectly in the first place, thus they were partly to blame. They were also to blame for not reporting it. Thye would get into toruble for that, so by letting you off they saved themselves as well.

You have two options.

1. You now know you shouldnt be logged into your own account. Get to the exam early, remind the inviglator you are allowed to use the computer and allow them to set it up. That way responsibiliyu is theirs and they should log onto the correct account.
2. You can contact the exam officer for formal instructions and make them aware of the mix up, but if they havent told the exam officer, then it could raise more fuss.

Theres no point complaining unless, they decided to take action about it, which they dont seem to be.
Focus on your exams, complain after if need be, but for now, focus and dont worry. Let them set it up for you. You dont need instrucctions for that.

They've checked my account history so they can see i havent been on the internet or anything like that, so they know i havent cheated. I think they just felt a bit sorry for me since i was bawling my eyes out
Original post by Alina-11
They've checked my account history so they can see i havent been on the internet or anything like that, so they know i havent cheated. I think they just felt a bit sorry for me since i was bawling my eyes out

Focus on your exams. If I was in a similar situation and they tried to take it further, then O would raise the points mentuioned about shortcomings in their procedures.
One for our resident exams officers.
@Compost @Muttley79 @gdunne42
I've never come across a situation like this - students using a computer use a specially set up one and can't access the school network,

Sorry - I can't help - hopefully someone else can :smile:

Write down everything and go and see the exam officer on Monday.
that's so ridiculous! poor you - you didn't anything wrong
Original post by Muttley79
I've never come across a situation like this - students using a computer use a specially set up one and can't access the school network,

Sorry - I can't help - hopefully someone else can :smile:

Write down everything and go and see the exam officer on Monday.

Yes, that's the only scenario I am familiar with as well.
Reply 8
I would just focus on your exams and forget about it. Speak to someone next time to clarify what you're doing, or before your next exam. Don't let it affect your other exams if using a computer really helps you. But yeah that sounds like a ridiculous system, I use a word processor and it's all set up for me when I get i there !! Good luck with the rest xx
I would imagine the exams officer is very concerned about a clear muck up by the invigilation team. IF the exams team report the incident to the examiner I would expect them to disqualify the paper as a clear breach has occurred. I don't think the candidate would be blamed and punished further as a lack of guidance and supervision from the centre was the fault. I would echo the advice to meet with the exams officer on Monday and sort out what is happening about this exam and how things will work for future exams.
The regulations say that you can only use a word processor in exams if this is your normal way of working in the centre - you shouldn't have been allowed a word processor unless you use one a fair amount for normal work and you use them in internal tests and exams. If this had been the case you would have been fully familiar with how the system worked, Some schools and colleges do break this rule and this shows the problems this poses - although they are doing it because they think it will benefit you.

(We use stand alone laptops that do not allow you to log in to the school system or access the internet and only let students use Wordpad to there is no way they can get to a spell checker. Your centre's systems seem a little dodgy).

It appears your problem today has been resolved - if they are going to report you then they need to inform you as soon as possible that they are reporting you for malpractice and give you a right to make a statement about the incident. However, from what you said I don't think they will do that.
Now your best approach is to work out what would make the rest of your exams run most smoothly so you can do your best. Whilst the college does seem to have handled things badly I also wonder if it wasn't helped by your turning up late (why was everyone else typing already?) although they should have ensured that even a late arrival was familiar with the procedure. I would now email the exams officer or SENCO (whichever one sorted out your having a computer) and apologise for using the wrong account but make it very clear that you had never been told the procedure for using a word processor in exams and acted in good faith. Ask if she could she explain the procedure to you. Then make sure you get to the next exam in good time and that you are sure before you start that you are doing all the right things.
If you are still in college next year then you need to make sure that you have a word processor for all internal tests so it really is your normal way of working.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
The regulations say that you can only use a word processor in exams if this is your normal way of working in the centre - you shouldn't have been allowed a word processor unless you use one a fair amount for normal work and you use them in internal tests and exams. If this had been the case you would have been fully familiar with how the system worked, Some schools and colleges do break this rule and this shows the problems this poses - although they are doing it because they think it will benefit you.

(We use stand alone laptops that do not allow you to log in to the school system or access the internet and only let students use Wordpad to there is no way they can get to a spell checker. Your centres systems seem a little dodgy).

It appears your problem today has been resolved - if they are going to report you then they need to inform you as soon as possible that they are reporting you for malpractice and give you a right to make a statement about the incident. However, from what you said I don't think they will do that.
Now your best approach is to work out what would make the rest of your exams run most smoothly so you can do your best. Whilst the college does seem to have handled things badly I also wonder if it wasn't helped by your turning up late (why was everyone else typing already?) although they should have ensured that even a late arrival was familiar with the procedure. I would now email the exams officer or SENCO (whichever one sorted out your having a computer) and apologise for using the wrong account but make it very clear that you had never been told the procedure for using a word processor in exams and acted in good faith. Ask if she could she explain the procedure to you. Then make sure you get to the next exam in good time and that you are sure before you start that you are doing all the right things.
If you are still in college next year then you need to make sure that you have a word processor for all internal tests so it really is your normal way of working.

I later realised that everyone was typing their details at the top of the page like their centre number, candidate number etc (not logging in as theirs was already set up), I was not late. When i realised everyone was typing i thought it was their login details. I tried to inform the invigilator as soon as possible that i didnt know what to do as soon as i had logged on, this was just as everyone had started their exam. Thus, when she showed me how to get onto word, i then started my exam.
If they arent taking it up, then why should she bother being dragged into an investigation? She should focus on her exams and defend any claim in the event it arises.. If its reported, then surely the exam officer is under a duty to report the incident to the exam board including obvious failings in their procedures.
Reply 13
Hi,

Ive never posted on here, so I'm not sure how this will go, so here goes..

Recently I've been given word processing (chance to use computer) for my exams this year, due to my weird pen grip that gives me painful hand cramps. Ive never used a computer before in any exam and wasn't given any instructions on what to do, just that it would be a word document that I would write on and then print out.

When i got to my seat, the computer wasn't logged in and as everyone else was typing, I assumed i had to log in as normal, so i logged into my college account. Then i didn't know what to do next so called the invigilator over who showed me how to get onto word and didn't say anything about me being on my own account (this will be relevant in a minute). After my exam i was told to print, again i didn't know where to print to etc, so called invigilator over again who showed me but we couldn't find the examiner printer. After ages, she realised i was on my own account and called another invigilator who were both really harsh and accused me of cheating straight off the bat and kept saying something about me having to be on an "examiners account" (which i had never heard of in my life), i started crying at this point, panicking i would be disqualified.

Due to me crying, fasting and having had called the invigilator over few times, they took pity on me and allowed me to print my exam and let me go home. Now im terrified to use a computer for all my other exams as this was my first and i still dont know what im supposed to do. My parents want to complain about lack of instructions (there was nothing on the board, no one told me what to do and i wasn't given any logins), the invigilator coming over and looking at my screen and failing to notice anything and the harsh treatment from examiners who accused me of cheating straight away. But I dont want them to complain, in fear it will get worse and they will disqualify me. Should i just be grateful and do he rest of my exams or complain like everyone is telling me too...i dont want to push my luck, i just want good exam results to get to uni :frown:

Email your exams office and ask for a formal set of instructions for using a computer under exam conditions. Don't worry, it wasn't your fault!
I later realised that everyone was typing their details at the top of the page like their centre number, candidate number etc (not logging in as theirs was already set up), I was not late. When i realised everyone was typing i thought it was their login details. I tried to inform the invigilator as soon as possible that i didnt know what to do as soon as i had logged on, this was just as everyone had started their exam. Thus, when she showed me how to get onto word, i then started my exam.

Regardless of what happened, if they are not going to report you and you want to continue using a word processor then your best option is to find out exactly what the system is meant to be and make sure you know how to use it in future.

Quick Reply

Latest