The Student Room Group

Do I need a math GCSE in order to do A-levels ??

Hi - I'm currently in my GCSE year in the UK- and since I have failed maths (one of the compulsory GCSEs) - I was wondering if i needed it in order to do A-levels. Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by pompydoo7
Hi - I'm currently in my GCSE year in the UK- and since I have failed maths (one of the compulsory GCSEs) - I was wondering if i needed it in order to do A-levels. Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Many sixth forms and colleges require a C or B in GCSE maths for you to attend. Check the website/prospectus of wherever you plan on staying :smile:
Reply 2

Hey,

Not meaning to be too negative (not good in life), it depends on the requirements of the individual 6th form... but most likely they will need maths.

Sorry

H
Reply 3
Thank you so much for helping !! :smile:

you do, at least a C grade from maths is required to go into sixth form (well at least the ones i know of)
Reply 5
Original post by 09HB
Hey,

Not meaning to be too negative (not good in life), it depends on the requirements of the individual 6th form... but most likely they will need maths.

Sorry

H

Thankyou thankyou !! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by melisss22
you do, at least a C grade from maths is required to go into sixth form (well at least the ones i know of)

Really appreciate all the help - thankyou for telling me :smile:
Reply 7
Thankyou thankyou !! :smile:

No worries, sorry it's not more positive.

H
get in touch with sixth forms you're interested in, pretty sure some would allow you to go if you resat your maths (which you have to do anyway) but you'd be limited on courses
Reply 9

Yes you do because if you've failed, you need to re-take maths and u need at least an C to do it.

Good luck with the rest of your exams

Not necessarily, i know people who had 5 A*-C grades in other subjects but maths and were still allowed to do A levels, however, that will depend on each sixthfrom/college.

If you get C or B in English, you should be fine doing most subjects.

You will also be required to resit maths as its compulsory to do so until you are 18.
Reply 11
Original post by m.b30
Yes you do because if you've failed, you need to re-take maths and u need at least an C to do it.

Good luck with the rest of your exams

Hi, I think you are sehr cool. Noice advice
Reply 12
Many sixth forms will allow you to resit your maths GCSE akin studying your A Levels. I know of several who do locally to me. Do some research many will also let you study English language if you haven't passed and sometimes even science. Two people I know have been studying English language and Maths alongside normal A levels. So have a look ! Good luck .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest