The Student Room Group

I gave someone else Chlamydia and feel so awful :(

I have only slept with 2 people so I'm not promiscuous but my ex boyfriend cheated on me whilst we were together. We broke up almost 2 years ago. As I was on the pill we had unprotected sex twice because I felt more confident that I wouldn't get pregnant, I was only thinking about possible pregnancy STDs completely flew off my mind.

I didn't really have any symptoms and I hadn't been sexually active for a long time so I never thought about getting tested for an STD. It wasn't until last week I decided to get tested with a friend, only to get the shock of my life this morning when I received the results that I had chlamydia.

I have taken the antibiotics to treat it now. I immediately contacted the other guy I slept with, a 'fling'. We didn't use a condom, again I was just thinking about pregnancy and being on the pill. He then told me on the phone that he already knew what I was calling about, that I gave him chlamydia. He said that he got tested 4 weeks ago and had taken the antibiotics for it. I was in such deep shock.

He was really angry and his tone was so brutal. I messaged him saying that I would like to compensate him by sending him the money that he paid for the antibiotics. He refused then told me that I should delete his number, that he thinks that I'm dirty disgusting trashy filfth, that he never wants anything to do with me again and to never ever speak to him again then he blocked me.

I feel like such a horrible person. I hate hurting or wronging other people. I cannot believe that I passed it on to someone else. I feel so evil and like I deserve to be imprisoned in jail. I've been in tears all day, I just hate myself knowing that I did that to someone else. I feel so worthless and what he told me made me feel even worse than I already did. I genuinely believe that I don't deserve to live having done this to someone.

Please tell me how I can get over this because it's destroying me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

use a condom (protection), it will PROTECT you from these problems in the future, thats the purpose of a condom
Original post by Anonymous
I have only slept with 2 people so I'm not promiscuous but my ex boyfriend cheated on me whilst we were together. We broke up almost 2 years ago. As I was on the pill we had unprotected sex twice because I felt more confident that I wouldn't get pregnant, I was only thinking about possible pregnancy STDs completely flew off my mind.

I didn't really have any symptoms and I hadn't been sexually active for a long time so I never thought about getting tested for an STD. It wasn't until last week I decided to get tested with a friend, only to get the shock of my life this morning when I received the results that I had chlamydia.

I have taken the antibiotics to treat it now. I immediately contacted the other guy I slept with, a 'fling'. We didn't use a condom, again I was just thinking about pregnancy and being on the pill. He then told me on the phone that he already knew what I was calling about, that I gave him chlamydia. He said that he got tested 4 weeks ago and had taken the antibiotics for it. I was in such deep shock.

He was really angry and his tone was so brutal. I messaged him saying that I would like to compensate him by sending him the money that he paid for the antibiotics. He refused then told me that I should delete his number, that he thinks that I'm dirty disgusting trashy filfth, that he never wants anything to do with me again and to never ever speak to him again then he blocked me.

I feel like such a horrible person. I hate hurting or wronging other people. I cannot believe that I passed it on to someone else. I feel so evil and like I deserve to be imprisoned in jail. I've been in tears all day, I just hate myself knowing that I did that to someone else. I feel so worthless and what he told me made me feel even worse than I already did. I genuinely believe that I don't deserve to live having done this to someone.

Please tell me how I can get over this because it's destroying me. I'm considering taking my life because the guilt of what I did to him is so unbearable and I can't cope.

Please don't feel guilty about it, but just learn from this and be careful to use a condom in future sexual encounters. I hope you get well soon from your disease.
Reply 3
Whoa, you're both overreacting like children. It's easily cured so calm down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please tell me how I can get over this because it's destroying me. I'm considering taking my life because the guilt of what I did to him is so unbearable and I can't cope.

Honestly, be glad someone that disgusting is out of your life. You sound like a really lovely person.
It isn't really that big a deal. Chlamydia is pretty easy to treat.

Anyway, you didn't do it on purpose and he should have worn a condom as well.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Honestly, be glad someone that disgusting is out of your life. You sound like a really lovely person.

Exactly what I was going to say! You sound wonderful. Don't feel bad. You were wronged and were not aware of having a STD so you had no reason to think you would be giving one to someone else (obviously, you could have got it from him if he had it so it is best to use a condom). But don't feel bad. It happens to lots of people. You're not alone :smile:
Original post by RobML

Yeah, but what if it's undetected? It's quite common that no symptoms appear and therefore no reason to get yourself checked out, especially if you don't consider yourself 'promiscuous'. Can lead to infertility if unchecked.

Although in this case you're right.
It could have been him that gave it to you.

Be safe, always.
Reply 9
You couldn't have known so you have no reason to feel bad... if anything, from the sounds of it, the guy deserves Chlamydia...
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
It could have been him that gave it to you.

Be safe, always.

I don't think he did because he said that he's always used condoms before me.
I don't think he did because he said that he's always used condoms before me.

People lie.
Ok I get you feel bad but it's not like it is AIDS. It's chlamydia which can be treated and you're getting the treatment.

Now you know so use condoms every single time. Stop feeling guilty!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's as much his fault as yours, you got nothing to worry about :cute: it'll be cured and then it'll be forgotten.
Original post by Alexion
It's as much his fault as yours, you got nothing to worry about :cute: it'll be cured and then it'll be forgotten.

Agreed :biggrin:
It's not too big of an issue fortunately
It could have quite easily been him who gave it to you and he is reacting like this to make you feel guilty, he doesn't sound a pleasant person either.

That's why they say NO GLOVE NO LOVE. You made a mistake but in future use a Johnny even if the guy says no. Your ex is at fault not you. Youre not evil lol it happens. Ignore thr fling, he's angry as any one would be but he knew the risks of STD's too, he chose not to use protection. It'll be a lesson to him too. So, put it out of your mind and get on with it. Crying won't solve anything.

Take your meds and use protection in future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

O.O
Reply 18
Original post by Mrs.Grey

No she's not
Well, I'm sure it all happened the way you described but it is possible that he gave it to you!!!! You didn't find that you had it until well after your fling with him. The fact that you contacted him and were honest with him after you found out speaks volumes for your character!! His reaction is suspect to me! Honestly, he reacted like someone who is guilty and knows it but since you were taking credit for it he let you!!! Then made you feel guilty about it!! Now, the fact that your ex cheated on you certainly put you at risk to be sure but that doesn't automatically exclude the 2nd guy from being the one to spread it to you. He way over-reacted. Suspect as to why he didn't contact you when he, himself, tested positive. Just because he 'said' he'd always used condoms doesn't mean he always did? Only he know the truth. As I said, you may have gotten it from your ex but the second guy is a culprit as well and when he's that much of a jerk it makes me wonder in what other areas of his life he a jerk.....
Anyway, sorry this happened to you.

Latest