The Student Room Group

The world is a better place without religion. Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Passion Fruit
LEDC's have faster growing populations whereas MEDC's have falling populations and so import religious people from foreign countries. Once Christianity bottoms out religion will rise sharply in the West.

is that to say that people are only religious because they're "born" religious? are you legitimising or delegitimising religion/ because in reality you're doing the latter
Original post by sleepysnooze
is that to say that people are only religious because they're "born" religious? are you legitimising or delegitimising religion/ because in reality you're doing the latter

I'm neutral on religion. I'm not a Christian/Muslim who proudly boasts that more religion is growing fast, nor am I a euphoric Atheist who brags that the world is becoming less religious. The fact is that in the medium term the global proportion of religious people will rise.
Original post by jasminenctang
I can only say, things happen and some if not all, you cannot change that. Religion is not a mistake, a wrong doing. it is all right. The world is always a better place to be and live in, when there is a new turn, a new discovery, it gets people excited, so why can't religion. It's beautiful to watch and witness what life is like outside of your own and religion offers this. Millions of places in the world are famous because of religion.

I'm not saying religion is a mistake xD
It's a what if this didn't exist?
Original post by Kittyboy
And you perceive that as valuable? How does that have any more worth than say, every inch of the world's surface being covered by people held in torture chambers where they never get to see the light of day? Or have any more value than every human dropping dead for no apparent cause?

Does it really tell us that? Why solve these problems?

It is indeed a social construct, what else would it be? And just like everything else, it has no worth to it at all. There's no point in making the world a better place. And there's no point in making it a nastier place.

All you're doing by killing them is speeding up the process of death, which is meaningless :h:

Yes personally i see that as valuable. I'd prefer a valuable world that a worse world which is backward in nature. It's not more "valuable" in the sense of personal opinion. Because that's the question you're asking. It's a comment based upon opinion, other may think well actually it's not valuable others think actually it does/doesn't make it valuable. It's up to you to decide.

Again it's all about opinion, personally i think a worse world tells us the human race as a whole isn't cooperating with each other and solving world problems, instead we're just being selfish and doing things for our ow gains. Personally i think solving these problems will make a better world which in my opinion is something the human race should work towards.
Religion is growing and not dying.

Is it?
I think religion is slowly dying out because science is "explaining" all these ludicrous claims made by religion over the many thousands of years.
I don't know the true reality of what's going on though.
Original post by fartinugget

Is it?
I think religion is slowly dying out because science is "explaining" all these ludicrous claims made by religion over the many thousands of years.
I don't know the true reality of what's going on though.

I know lots of Muslims who are among the best science students, I fail to see the relationship between education and religiosity as arrogant White Atheists (crypto-Christian universalists) are so eager to bang on about.
I'm neutral on religion. I'm not a Christian/Muslim who proudly boasts that more religion is growing fast, nor am I a euphoric Atheist who brags that the world is becoming less religious. The fact is that in the medium term the global proportion of religious people will rise.

is this the thread topic?
is this the thread topic?

The opening premise upon which this thread is based is that religion is becoming less relevant, this is categorically and demonstrably false.
I know lots of Muslims who are among the best science students, I fail to see the relationship between education and religiosity as arrogant White Atheists (crypto-Christian universalists) are so eager to bang on about.

I'm not saying that muslims or any other religious person of any faith can't be a brilliant science student. There's always amix of every possibility.
John Polkinghorne (learning about him currently) was a respected physicist and he believed that science and religion are linked and that they have to work together to work out stuff(don't know quite what that is)
Original post by Mrs.Grey
k ....
religion is a bad thing overallit is illogical and endorses delusive stupidity in that it often firmly rejects sciencebut not only that, but it encourages things like homophobia and misogyny, or child abuse (circumcision)

I have to agree with you here. Religion has to change if it's to stay in this world.
Original post by fartinugget
I'm not saying that muslims or any other religious person of any faith can't be a brilliant science student. There's always amix of every possibility.

The rise of Western education will not lead to people becoming less religious. These past 20 years the religious East has diverged from the West despite its rise in economic and scientific output. They're not gonna be like you in the end.
The opening premise upon which this thread is based is that religion is becoming less relevant, this is categorically and demonstrably false.

but is that a demonstration that the world is a better place with religion? religion is becoming less relevant to morality surely when moral people today don't necessitate their morality upon a religion
but is that a demonstration that the world is a better place with religion? religion is becoming less relevant to morality surely when moral people today don't necessitate their morality upon a religion

''The belief in a "God" is slowly diminishing due to the fact that "God" was originally used to fill the gaps in knowledge that we didn't know because science hadn't discovered it yet.''

I was addressing.
''The belief in a "God" is slowly diminishing due to the fact that "God" was originally used to fill the gaps in knowledge that we didn't know because science hadn't discovered it yet.''

I was addressing.

so you're implying that religion will eventually trump science...?
religion is a bad thing overall
it is illogical and endorses delusive stupidity in that it often firmly rejects science
but not only that, but it encourages things like homophobia and misogyny, or child abuse (circumcision)

XD Oh you atheist cyber gangsters.
Religion doesn't cause any significant change in our modern world.

People however use religion as an excuse to cover up their acts of stupidity.
Original post by Hubba_Hubba
XD Oh you atheist cyber gangsters.

growing up in the kind of religious household I was where halloween was banned and christmas had all the fun sucked out of it will turn one into an atheist cybergangsta I guess.
The only time I'll ever agree with Islam is when faced by [ignorant] atheists.
so you're implying that religion will eventually trump science...?

I object to the term science being used in this context, what you call ''science'' is crypto-Christian universalism. Western culture is simply a religion which attempts to proselytise. The very concept of integration is a form of proselytism.

In the short term official statistics will report a reduction in religiosity as Christians become Atheists, in the medium term people of stronger faith will begin to outnumber Atheists due to immigration from religious nations and the more family orientated mentality of those of faith.
Reply 36
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Religion isn't the problem, it's individuals.

What does this even mean?
Reply 37
Original post by BTAnonymous
Religion doesn't cause any significant change in our modern world.

People however use religion as an excuse to cover up their acts of stupidity.

When most of our laws are written they were based mostly on religion and majority are still in effect. What we consider to be good/bad is governed by religion even if you aren't religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I object to the term science being used in this context, what you call ''science'' is crypto-Christian universalism.

...what?

Western culture is simply a religion which attempts to proselytise. The very concept of integration is a form of proselytism.

culture =/= religion
religion is beliefs without evidence, culture is a set of identity-based traditions, history, languages, perhaps values, etc

In the short term official statistics will report a reduction in religiosity as Christians become Atheists, in the medium term people of stronger faith will begin to outnumber Atheists due to immigration from religious nations and the more family orientated mentality of those of faith.

why don't you think the sons and daughters of these immigrants will slowly become atheists too? christians became atheists, why not muslims?
Original post by Trill
When most of our laws are written they were based mostly on religion and majority are still in effect. What we consider to be good/bad is governed by religion even if you aren't religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol right, so our progressive western values of acceptance of homosexuals, the equality of women, etc, is based on religion

Quick Reply

Latest