The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Do we get the go-ahead now? Double checking

How did you do?
I got Q1,Q3,Q7 completely perfect. And Q8 right till the very last approximation so around 76 marks there. Then I had half the DE half the binomial and first part of the factorisation. So Im sitting on 90-95 ish.
What the **** was siklos thinking. He puts 1 geometry 1 vectors every year which gave me S grades and this year he decided to put no geometry and vectors(everybody else probably liked this) but no geometry and vectors really threw me off wudve given me a solid 100+ score 😔.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here is a solution to the Integration yesterday!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466151672.567959.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466151694.178942.jpg
There may be other ways to do the very last part but I couldn't find any that worked. I tried a t sub but it required use of tan(pi/8) which is.. Ugly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 fulls, 1 partial and the very first part of 2 questions enough to scrape a grade 1?
Original post by computerkid
3 fulls, 1 partial and the very first part of 2 questions enough to scrape a grade 1?

For sure, I only got 1 full :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much do you think for a 1?
Any idea how the marks on Q7 will be divided? I was thinking 3,3,4,5,5 for parts 0-4... Also on Q6 how many marks do you think the last part will be worth?
Original post by physicsmaths

There may be other ways to do the very last part but I couldn't find any that worked. I tried a t sub but it required use of tan(pi/8) which is.. Ugly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what was the exact question from the last part, I got a nice answer which I'll post just I can't remember the exact question?
Reply 67
I got 2 fulls and 2 partials :/ is that grade 2 material?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466151672.567959.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466151694.178942.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally just IBP on (III) solves it immediately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
page 1.JPGpage 2.JPGpage 3.JPGpage 4.JPGQ9 from STEP 2. If someone could verify this I'd be grateful. About 90% certain I got it right.
how many marks for the last part of binomial ?
Original post by savetheworms
what was the exact question from the last part, I got a nice answer which I'll post just I can't remember the exact question?

I have a nice answer aswell. It was integral 0 to pi/4 of x/(cosx)(cosx+sinx)
I am saying what other ways were there other then mine cause First i tried t sub then after divide top bottom by cos^2(x) giving a nice solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I did reasonably well. I think I got 6 fairly solid fulls, and 1 not-so-solid full (question 1 - I hate graph sketching!) as backup. Possibly around 90-100?

I noticed the lack of geometry and vectors - I was quite pleased tbh - but we'll probably get them in STEP III :tongue:

Also, the stats question I did was amazingly simple. An absolute gift.

Still, don't you only need a 1? Or is your offer S,1?

Here are (my) solutions to questions 6, 13, and the summation one (done from memory, I haven't seen the question paper since the exam, so some minor details missing that I'll add in later)

Need S,1. Will be close in II.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a nice answer aswell. It was integral 0 to pi/4 of x/(cosx)(cosx+sinx)
I am saying what other ways were there other then mine cause First i tried t sub then after divide top bottom by cos^2(x) giving a nice solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the last part was something like ln(1+tanx) ? sorry I have a rubbish memory lol
Reply 74
Using an energy method I got the same value of b. My c was different, but I think I was wrong on this part (Question 9)
Original post by savetheworms
I thought the last part was something like ln(1+tanx) ? sorry I have a rubbish memory lol

That was second to last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find the paper compared to last year?

For me it was absolutely dire. I freaked out under the pressure and did really badly. I got a full solution to one question, and all of the first mechanics question (but stupidly left my answer in terms of M, m, u, R instead of a). I got all of the integration question except I got stuck at integrating 1/[cosx(cosx + sinx)] - I used a t substitution and was left floundering around. Then the rest of my "solutions" were basically me desperately trying to scrape marks together.

Unless grade boundaries are *really* low, I think that's me out :frown:
I'm having difficulty reading your solution, so perhaps this is the method you did, however this is roughly what I did:

Note the last integral J is xcosxcos(xpi/4)sqrt2\int \dfrac{x}{cosxcos(x-pi/4)*sqrt{2}}

so use formula to say J = pi/4xcosxcos(xpi/4)sqrt2\int \dfrac{pi/4 - x}{cosxcos(x-pi/4)*sqrt{2}}

Then 2J = pi/4 * 1cosxcos(xpi/4)sqrt2\int \dfrac{1}{cosx cos (x-pi/4)*sqrt{2}} from 0 to pi/8
then J = pi/8 * 1cos2x+sinxcosx\int \dfrac{1}{cos^2 x + sinxcosx}
then J = pi/4 * 1cos2x+sin2x+1\int \dfrac{1}{cos 2x + sin 2x + 1} from 0 to pi/8then J = pi/8 * 1cosx+sinx+1\int \dfrac{1}{cos x + sin x + 1} from 0 to pi/4then use t sub

I got to your line
J=pi/8 int (1/(cos^2(x)+sinxcosx)) then divide top and bottom by cos^2(x) giving sec^2(x)/(1+tanx) which is ln(1+tanx) yielding same answer as the line before that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
For sure, I only got 1 full :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too. :frown: Q7 integration and the rest were either mostly full or just halfs. Q3,8 were nearly full and Q4,1,2 were halfs.
That was second to last.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh then yeah i agree with what you put
did you remember to put +c i remembered literally seconds after walking out the exam hall urgh how much do you reckon they''ll penalise that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending