The Student Room Group

low 2:1

Hello, I received my results today for my LLB course. I have obtained a Second-class honours, upper division (2:1). My examination results were 77 for Company Law, 73 for Employment, 56 for International and a disappointing 40 for Family. My question is whether would law firms discriminate against a low 2:1? as if so i would have no option to retake my Employment and International Law exams due to MC. Thank You.
Original post by Exam12
Hello, I received my results today for my LLB course. I have obtained a Second-class honours, upper division (2:1). My examination results were 77 for Company Law, 73 for Employment, 56 for International and a disappointing 40 for Family. My question is whether would law firms discriminate against a low 2:1? as if so i would have no option to retake my Employment and International Law exams due to MC. Thank You.

Will they give you the option to retake without capping?

You meet the criteria.
Will some furms look at your individual marks? When push comes to shove, and you are up against someone with a high 2:1, then some will ofc take it into consideration along with many other factors for your application as a whole. If all your other grades were solid 2:1 , then I wouldn't bother.
Reply 2
Original post by Exam12

Nearly all firms want a breakdown of module results where applicable so if you have done well in some other modules it may help. Some firms also want a strong (high 2:1) whereas most just stipulate 2:1. You can guarantee city and MC firms will prefer a strong 2:1, but you could perhaps contact them? No disrespect at all but I would not apply to a MC firm with a low 2:1 as they would very likely discriminate unless your mitigating circumstances are strong and convincing to them. Other city firms could still be an option. I did hear on a forum that Baker & McKenzie automatically reject applicants who have any modules that fall below a 2:1, so they would discriminate. Do not give up hope though as different firms have different policies you just need to research their requirements and contact them if necessary but do not be unrealistic in your choice of firms either. Good luck in your journey of finding a TC :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending