The Student Room Group

CCEA GCSE exams 2016 *official only CCEA thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cluster1
The paper is very similar every year it's more a case of what won't come up tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks, it was just someone mentioned that the connected particle questions changes between pulleys and trailer and van etc... Good luck for later
How'd everyone find FM unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How'd everyone find FM unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not great, but not awful
Statistics was nice, mechanics was alright
Original post by OpticSesh
not great, but not awful

I'm the same, couldn't say it was awful but couldn't say it was amazing, probability questions were hard but the connected particles question was a nice one
do we have to know the gravity equation for physics unit 2? it's never been on a past paper or anything
I found the Further Maths paper alright. Could've been worse, but could've been better.

Mechanics was pretty good apart from the one question where you had to give two equations that would satisfy a and u. I just substituted the figures into the uniform acceleration formulae.

Statistics was alright, but I'm annoyed at the fact there was so much probability. I bloody hate probability so having three questions on it wasn't really that nice. I think I got there in the end with the probability questions. Key word being think.

Honestly wasn't bad. I'm just glad because I'm now done. I'm finished.

Good luck to everyone doing Physics TA tomorrow. Been great talking about exams and chatting. It's helped me immensely. I'll probably still hang around a bit, but most likely won't be posting anymore. I might pop back in on results day to have a bit of a chat. I hope you all get the results you're hoping for. Enjoy the summer!
(edited 7 years ago)
People in my year were saying the last question said 'find the probability she went to the shop or her granny's or neither' i didn't see the 'or neither' part can anyone confirm? And what answer did yous get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
People in my year were saying the last question said 'find the probability she went to the shop or her granny's or neither' i didn't see the 'or neither' part can anyone confirm? And what answer did yous get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there was no neither in the question im pretty sure, what me and a few of my ''smart'' mates did was to add the answer from part i and ii. We collectively got 0.22 for part i but thats the only answer i can remember. I thought stats was abit easier than mechanics and yet again I have found myself getting the hard questions right and the piss easy questions wrong because thats how my brain works lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 0.19, 0.22 (maybe the other way round, can't remember) and 0.52
For the last part you had to find the probability that she went to her granny's house or the shop.
Therefore you had to find p(GuS)
On formula sheet - P(AuB)=P(A)+P(B)-P(AnB)
If you used that formula and subbed in the values from your previous answers and from the question, you would have got 0.52
Original post by Cbeattie740
For the last part you had to find the probability that she went to her granny's house or the shop.
If you used that formula and subbed in the values from your previous answers and from the question, you would have got 0.52
that's exactly what I got 😂 Praise the Lord
Original post by Cbeattie740

Bear with me here but isn't that the formula for non mutually exclusive events? Therefore is wrong to use in this question as visiting granny and going to the shop are mutually exclusive? It's just a thought because I got completely different answers so it's really a desperation attempt lol.
Original post by Philipstothers
Bear with me here but isn't that the formula for non mutually exclusive events? Therefore is wrong to use in this question as visiting granny and going to the shop are mutually exclusive? It's just a thought because I got completely different answers so it's really a desperation attempt lol.

I don't think they were mutually exclusive though because the possibility was for if she went to the shop given that she had already been to her grannies and vice versa
Reply 1114
I found that further maths paper really hard. I messed up the moments question bc i couldnt make sense of the diagram, and i couldnt do the last 5 probability questions, and im sure ive got all the other probability wrong. Im just so happy i think ive only lost about 5 marks max. In pure, and so there for ive still only lost around 20 overall. The grade boundaries are constanly fixed at 180/200 for an A* which includes scaling, which means im still hopefully able to get an a* if ive only lost 20 raw marks (i think)
Original post by Katie389
I don't think they were mutually exclusive though because the possibility was for if she went to the shop given that she had already been to her grannies and vice versa

Fair enough I think I messed it up then cus I did 1-the probability of g and s which was part one I think. Tbh I don't remember anymore lol. I did like a tree diagram and stuff don't know what I was at lol.
Thing is though if you look at past papers which have given questions there always worth 3 marks and part 3 was only worth 2 (I think please correct me if wrong) and I don't actually remember the word given. Then again I'm not exactly a great example of a person who reads the questions correctly lol 😀
Original post by Katie389
that's exactly what I got 😂 Praise the Lord

At the end of the day I hope you're correct like cus I don't really deserve to get it right but I genuinely don't remember it being based on given questions. But yea hope you're right 👍
Does anyone know the answer to the last part on the Venn diagram question
Original post by Philipstothers
At the end of the day I hope you're correct like cus I don't really deserve to get it right but I genuinely don't remember it being based on given questions. But yea hope you're right 👍
haha 😂 No though, I really struggled on it for ages and it was the only thing I could do to get an answer, it might have been a desperate attempt to get something from the answer so I don't really know if I'm right, it didn't actually say given in the question so I wasn't sure at the time but it was all I could think to do

Quick Reply

Latest