The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
Nonsense - If Labour win, Cons don't give up being cons.

You are an idiot.

I am an EU citizen and will fight democratically every way possible to keep it that way.

Clear off the thread if you can't take the fightback!

SIGN THE PETITION PLEASE..

Thanks

If you want to fight democratically then we have elections in 2020, you can vote for a party which wants back In.
Original post by Rakas21
If you want to fight democratically then we have elections in 2020, you can vote for a party which wants back In.

Out is out according to the EU.. Unlikely we'd get back in in a hurry, and we certainly wouldn't get the treatment we do now. We'd probably end up with the euro, for starters
To be honest, if remain had won, many of the millions of leave voters would petition for a 2nd referendum, to get leave to win. Then this would cause an outrage amongst the remain, and more and more referendums would be asked to take place, which would be utterly useless. There will always be a controversy amongst the people of UK in any polls and referendums, but there must be a time to call it final. That's what I think. We just have to make the most of what we've got :smile:
Ive always backed remain, but this is pointless. The leavers have made their bed and now they can lie in it - I'm just excited to see things deteriorate :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No - keep on fighting back democratically.
Labour don't give up when Conservatives win. You just keep on going.

Its not over until its done
Reply 265
Original post by Rakas21
The money is not coming from the tax coffers but rather borrowing by the BOE against its assets.

Nobody is a penny poorer for it.

The borrowing that's got more expensive after the re-rating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1010marina
Out is out according to the EU.. Unlikely we'd get back in in a hurry, and we certainly wouldn't get the treatment we do now. We'd probably end up with the euro, for starters

Exactly. You can go the whole hog instead of keeping us in for 20 years until we finally get told to join or Leave.

Original post by jneill
The borrowing that's got more expensive after the re-rating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Only pension funds really pay attention to the credit rating on a financial product, for the BOE it's borrowing got cheaper yesterday because bond yields on ten year GILTS actually fell.

The speculators may be panicking about the short term but those wanting a long term bet are clearly confident that the UK will pay its debts still.
I've signed the petition but overall I do think it will be pointless. Leave won and I don't think there's a possibility we will go back on it. The thing is though, for a lot of people signing this it isn't just about not having the result we wanted. A lot of 16/17 year olds are signing it because we didn't get to have our say even though it will affect us for a lot longer than anyone else and because the vote was so close. I've seen a few media outlets suggesting that politicians didn't know what we actually wanted because the majority campaigned for remain and we actually left but if you look at it the vote was 51% to 48%. That is about 1 million vote and considering our population, isn't that much. If 16/17 year olds had voted things could have been much different. The very little gap suggests to me that the British public didn't actually know what they wanted because it is very close to a 50/50 split, but you can't blame us for being confused when so much of the campaigning on both sides was full of lies and scaremongering.
We need a referendum based on:

- votes for 16 year olds and up
- all four countries of the UK have to confirm the decision
- lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
- British abroad and EU citizens living in the UK be allowed to vote, as is only right and proper

The referendum we just had was manipulated to generate the result.
i think you could argue for a 2nd referendum on basis of evidence that -

many brexit voters have been shown in the media to say they would change their mind now in the face of the effects seen of brexit
heavy rain reduce the expected turnout in london where voters overwhemingly voted for remain
the current economic uncertainty and fall in markets harming the UK
Unbiased International and institutional opinion
Original post by Fullofsurprises

- lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
- British abroad and EU citizens living in the UK be allowed to vote, as is only right and proper

No other referendum or election exists for 16+, the vote wouldn't have made a difference as under 25's have a poor turn out.

No they don't, that's not how elections work. The majority of UK citizens wanted to leave, a majority is enough.

Its the media that stirs the lies through their political affiliations.

Why? They dont live in the country. Why should EU citizens vote on UK issues lol.

cluelessA-levelstudent/10.
Original post by Chakede
i think you could argue for a 2nd referendum on basis of evidence that -

many brexit voters have been shown in the media to say they would change their mind now in the face of the effects seen of brexit
heavy rain reduce the expected turnout in london where voters overwhemingly voted for remain
the current economic uncertainty and fall in markets harming the UK
Unbiased International and institutional opinion

It was already shown the rain affected only 5 polling stations for a couple of hours at best. We cant help the Londoners have low turnouts.
Original post by physicsphysics91
No other referendum or election exists for 16+, the vote wouldn't have made a difference as under 25's have a poor turn out.

No they don't, that's not how elections work. The majority of UK citizens wanted to leave, a majority is enough.

Its the media that stirs the lies through their political affiliations.

Why? They dont live in the country. Why should EU citizens vote on UK issues lol.

cluelessA-levelstudent/10.

British people living abroad are not less British - unless perhaps they don't meet with Farage's approval because they went to live overseas - like he did?

EU citizens living in the UK are paying taxes, contributing to the economy and making their home here. It's always been bad that they weren't allowed the vote.
Original post by jneill
£250 billion / 64 million people = £3,900 per person

Looks like Osborne was correct.

But you have plucked £250 billion out of thin air. And you calculation includes children which is just fascicle. Similarly, if you are in the poorest half of the country it makes no sense. You probably don't have £3,900 to lose so the statistic is meaningless and irrelevant.
British people living abroad are not less British - unless perhaps they don't meet with Farage's approval because they went to live overseas - like he did?

EU citizens living in the UK are paying taxes, contributing to the economy and making their home here. It's always been bad that they weren't allowed the vote.

You realise moving the posts continuously until you win is not a democracy :rofl:
Reply 275
Original post by FredOrJohn
its already well over a million - keep on going and going...
We need to get it incredibly high into the many millions.

Thing is though, you are posting this on a student form - a lot of people on here aren't even old enough to vote, so their signing the petition is silly. Under 18s are not allowed to vote on any other election so it doubt it will change for this (whether I agree with this or not is irrelevant.) I don't think this petition is going to achieve anything, it just makes Remainers look childish, spitting their dummy out because things didn't go their way. At the end of the day, the result we got is Leave, people need to accept this - fed up of Stay campaigners turning to childish taunts and claiming all Leave voters are racist and stupid and not as intelligent as Remain voters. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Or, in other words, you want to run the referendum until you get the result you want, and are willing to manipulate the system from a simple one man, one vote, all counting equally, to include as many barriers to getting the result you don't want as possible.

You forgot to exclude all people older then 50, by the way.

The very definition of cynical gerrymandering.

Just get on with life and do your best to make it work for yourself and everyone else.
Original post by jneill
There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
=> https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 900,000 signatures. So nearly a million...

This is now the most signed UK petition ever.

It wont happen
Fullofsurprises
lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission

why so one sided? :colonhash:
Original post by Chakede

This is specious nonsense. There are virtually no polling stations in city areas that are further away from anyone's home than a reasonable walk, so disrupted tube services are irrelevant. If you aren't willing to undertake a short walk in the rain then your commitment to your vote is worthless.

At my polling station I saw an woman on crutches, who arrived at the same time as me, take an eternity to get out of her car and move fifty yards in the rain into the school to vote, helped throughout by her husband.

By the time I had returned to my car after voting she was only about a quarter of the distance to the entrance. It probably took her half an hour to vote, exclusive of the drive to the polling station, and she was in obvious pain throughout. That is a desire to vote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending