The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
No the voting age is 18 it has been for years and it stayed at that age it would be undemocratic to include them to manufacture the result you would like, should we also include 5 year olds they have their future ahead of them?

They had their chance to vote they didn't use it.

There was a referendum on brexit people wanted to leave, you just want to capitalise on the uncertainty at the moment to get your own way.

The average under 16 isn't mature enough to fully understand the vote in my opinion. The average 16/17 year old is, even if it was just realising that their travel and employment/migration/study opportunites in EU nations are going to be limited. They did it in Scotland in 2014, no reason why it shouldn't have been allowed again in such an important vote.

I honestly don't care that much tbh. I'm Irish and thus a citizen of the EU anyway, as it seems to be going right now, Dublin may well replace London as the financial capital in the future, which I'm all for. I just think it was unfair to block the 16/17 year olds out of it.

It would not have been undemocratic to include them as it affects them much more than the old farts who swung the vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 381
I have no idea if this is fake but still (may contain swearing...)

Spoiler

Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
The average under 16 isn't mature enough to fully understand the vote in my opinion. The average 16/17 year old is, even if it was just realising that their travel and employment/migration/study opportunites in EU nations are going to be limited. They did it in Scotland in 2014, no reason why it shouldn't have been allowed again in such an important vote.

I honestly don't care that much tbh. I'm Irish and thus a citizen of the EU anyway, as it seems to be going right now, Dublin may well replace London as the financial capital in the future, which I'm all for. I just think it was unfair to block the 16/17 year olds out of it.

It would not have been undemocratic to include them as it affects them much more than the old farts who swung the vote.

What you are doing is age discrimination The older generation have a lot more life experience than the impressionable youngsters brainwashed in schools into thinking the EU has done things for them. The EU has done nothing at all and you have been lied to in order to gain power and control. That's what the older generation know and you don't.
Original post by Rakas21
Those who wish to remain can vote Lib Dem in 2020 who will probably stick to being Euro-philes.

You read my mind :biggrin: I am going to do just that.
deal with it. people regretting their vote should have thought more carefully and this would never have happened.
Original post by Zarek
So, they weren't stripped of their right as they never had it! You've got to set some cut off age I guess.

Your 2nd point is very undemocratic and it's pretty idiotic if remain supporters choose not to vote.

Probably agree with your 3rd point. You might get another bite of the cherry by the time you hit 50, if you're lucky.

It was very stupid of them not to vote. I don't think they expected so many knuckle draggers to vote. Once again the old people have ruined it for the generations following them. Maybe not a reason for a re-vote, but it is certainly frustrating for someone who voted to stay, knowing the true majority wanted the same.

what's done is done and I doubt there will be a 2nd referendum. Though looks like a a lot of the big banks are getting worried tbh. And without an economy essentially reliant on London, the UK could be utterly screwed. Can only be a good thing for the second and only big English speaking city in Europe, that being Dublin.
Original post by jneill
I have no idea if this is fake but still (may contain swearing...)

Spoiler

I saw this and assumed it was at least exaggarated. Nobody could possibly seriously believe they would be held a prisoner in their own country and vote for it. She probably puts it on to appear funny in a 'lol she is so stpud' way. That said, these are the type of people who voted leave, and this is why I'm so annoyed.
Reply 387
[QUOTE=Et Tu, Brute?;66096581]It was very stupid of them not to vote. I don't think they expected so many knuckle draggers to vote. Once again the old people have ruined it for the generations following them. Maybe not a reason for a re-vote, but it is certainly frustrating for someone who voted to stay, knowing the true majority wanted the same.

what's done is done and I doubt there will be a 2nd referendum. Though looks like a a lot of the big banks are getting worried tbh. And without an economy essentially reliant on London, the UK could be utterly screwed. Can only be a good thing for the second and only big English speaking city in Europe, that being Dublin.
Personally I do not think it will be so catastrophic. Switzerland and Norway do fine. The relationships and standards are in place. For sure a period of upheaval, but there must be some opportunities and a decent life post EU. The challenge is to put in place a good national government
Original post by stev43219
What you are doing is age discrimination The older generation have a lot more life experience than the impressionable youngsters brainwashed in schools into thinking the EU has done things for them. The EU has done nothing at all and you have been lied to in order to gain power and control. That's what the older generation know and you don't.

No it is not discrimination. I am not asking for old people not to get a vote, they have every right. But to say an 18 year old is sensible but a 17year old is not is ridiculous.

I don't care what the EU has or has not done for the UK. The vote was won by xenophobes and idiots. Hearing them gloat makes be laugh as they talk absolutely no sense at all, they have no idea what they have gotten themselves into. Those idiots up who voted leave in the working class communities have just condemned themselves to more unemployment and poor investment, the Brexit torries owe their victory to them and will they repay them? haha, no, they will be doomed to a tory government with no leash, they are going to have a field day. Good bye steel industry, good bye investment, good bye jobs etc etc. Hey, at least the fishing indsutry will have no more restrictive laws, now the fishermen can fish whatever they want, that will workout just fine.
There is no disputing that the £350million played a part in some voters minds, nearly 47% believed the claim in the linked poll. The downside is that it was a very small poll, however it makes you question how many people did believe that claim. It certainly should never have been a central claim of the leave campaign.
Original post by Zarek
Personally I do not think it will be so catastrophic. Switzerland and Norway do fine. The relationships and standards are in place. For sure a period of upheaval, but there must be some opportunities and a decent life post EU. The challenge is to put in place a good national government

Norway spend more to access the single market than the UK did for EU membership, I see only a disadvantage compared to staying in the EU if the UK is to adopt a Norwegian style relationship that the Brexits promised would save the day. Also, none of these types of relationships are particularly favorable to the London banks, except the Swiss one, which is highly unlikely to be given to the UK, this is why a lot of the big banks are drawing up contingency plans.

I agree though, as Clarkson said, complain for 24hr and then get on with it. I'm getting sick of arguing now tbh. Without the financial services as strong as they were pre-brexit, there will be much less to work with though. If London had a port it would do well to become the Singapore of Europe.

Enough of ifs and what ifs though. I'm out.
Original post by Tw1x
Thing is though, you are posting this on a student form - a lot of people on here aren't even old enough to vote, so their signing the petition is silly. Under 18s are not allowed to vote on any other election so it doubt it will change for this (whether I agree with this or not is irrelevant.) I don't think this petition is going to achieve anything, it just makes Remainers look childish, spitting their dummy out because things didn't go their way. At the end of the day, the result we got is Leave, people need to accept this - fed up of Stay campaigners turning to childish taunts and claiming all Leave voters are racist and stupid and not as intelligent as Remain voters. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

It's not just remainers that petitioned. Many of those who voted leave are now regretting their choice as they feel terribly misinformed and deceived(e.g. Farage backtracking and saying that the £350 million pounds that we supposedly send to the EU would not be going to the NHS instead-contradicting what the leave campaign previously claimed)
I'm out.

So glad you've changed your mind :lol:
Democracy is really dead in this country isn't?
I thought the british people together with the western world where championing democracy -I guess democracy is overated.
This generation is really weird. I can not wait to leave this world lol.

For the people who signed this petition, do you believe in democracy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Norway spend more to access the single market than the UK did for EU membership

Then Norway is foolish. We don't need access to the single market, and I hope we don't pay anything to get it. A simple request for free trade, with WTO terms if we don't would suffice.

If tariffs are imposed on us then we should reciprocate. W"e are net importers from the EU, so EU countries would suffer far more in a tariff exchange.
Reply 395
wow 1.6 million voted for 2nd petition :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by Ordo
wow 1.6 millions voted for 2nd petition :smile:

Only 350k of them are from the UK lmao
Reply 397
Original post by EuanF
Only 350k of them are from the UK lmao

Not really - click on petition map
Reply 398
Original post by Ordo
Not really - click on petition map

Yes really - check the .json file for the petition (lists number and origin of votes)

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":353988}
Reply 399
Original post by EuanF
Yes really - check the .json file for the petition (lists number and origin of votes)

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":353988}

Its just the data of people's personal details and number of vote. I hope government will give us another chance to vote. If not, its ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending