The Student Room Group

Keep EU university students status as home fees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
You mean after graduating ? I've applied to Maths with Physics and I really don't know which one I'll follow but I want to work in research or in academia . It would be nice to work as a teacher for one year or a couple but I really can't see myself as a teacher for my entire life .
My father is an American citizent so if he lives there for three years (he's planning to do so after Brexit) I'll be American citizent as well and hopefully I'll find a job in research there .

In that case your probably best going to a University in Germany. Sorry I jeopardised your future but there where bigger things at stake like stopping the European Central Bank and IMF doing a number on the UK just like they did to Greece.
I disagree

Anyway, as said above, we are not leaving the EU for at least two years (maybe more depending on how much delay tactics is played by politicians). So it will not affect prospective EU students entering UK universities this year, next year or the year after. So, this is pointless.

What happens after that completely depends on what type of deal the UK negotiates which is dependant many other factors.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
You're smart enough to go to Cambridge, but not smart enough to understand that the UK will not leave the EU before at least two years, and that students cannot change their fee status when they are enrolled in a degree?

No, it is not.

1) I knew that UK will remain in EU for the next 2 years so I'll get my first 2 years but I didn't know that fee status can't change during your course (how am I supposed to know that ? ) . I would not be able to pay my third year , that's what I thought .

2) Well we have the freedom-to-move right but it doesn't really mention if you can live in the 'foreign country' or just travel there .
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country .
Perhaps I was quiet wrong , but what our teacher told us in school was that we indeed have the right to live wherever we want (perhaps she was wrong as well Idk). Most countries don't really care about human rights so perhaps it's our right but who cares ...
Reply 23
Original post by Vesniep

Perhaps I was quiet wrong , but what our teacher told us in school was that we indeed have the right to live wherever we want (perhaps she was wrong as well Idk). Most countries don't really care about human rights so perhaps it's our right but who cares ...

If you are an EU citizen that applies, but only within the EU. Or in countries that have done a deal with the EU (eg Norway)

After you have graduated in 3 or 4 years time it's quite possible you will still have a right to remain in the UK. It's also possible you won't.

We don't yet know.

But eitherway a degree from Cambridge will stand you in good stead.

Don't worry overmuch about all this. Everyone is in the same position...

And the main thing, for you, is your tuition fees are not affected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep
but what our teacher told us in school was that we indeed have the right to live wherever we want (perhaps she was wrong as well Idk).

Word of advice: don't listen to what your teachers tell you at skool...

Also, don't worry. For the next three years, as long as everything else is okay of course, you will be studying at Cambridge. However, after that you need to research what you want to do and extensively research all the laws and regulations by yourself and fit your plans around it. I'm not going to say your post graduate life would be simple, but if you're going to Cambridge this year, your undergrad should be fine.
Reply 25
I'm an EU student. York and Warwick both emailed me right after Brexit to assure me that my fee status wouldn't change for the whole duration of my course if I enrolled for 2016/2017. And they also said I'd still be eligible for student loans, of course.
Original post by jneill
If you are an EU citizen that applies, but only within the EU. Or in countries that have done a deal with the EU (eg Norway)

After you have graduated in 3 or 4 years time it's quite possible you will still have a right to remain in the UK. It's also possible you won't.

We don't yet know.

But eitherway a degree from Cambridge will stand you in good stead.

Don't worry overmuch about all this. Everyone is in the same position...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by chemting
Word of advice: don't listen to what your teachers tell you at skool...

Also, don't worry. For the next three years, as long as everything else is okay of course, you will be studying at Cambridge. However, after that you need to research what you want to do and extensively research all the laws and regulations by yourself and fit your plans around it. I'm not going to say your post graduate life would be simple, but if you're going to Cambridge this year, your undergrad should be fine.

Hmm human rights are not legal rights . I mean we all have the theoretical right to life but in Texas they still have the death penalty and it's fine . Perhaps it's in fact our right to live wherever we want , but who cares about it . Human rights are all theoretical , if a state wants to violate some it's fine . I know my legal right to live wherever I want inside the EU and only the EU ,nowhere else in the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
EU students will be fine

Everything will be fine

Spoiler

Original post by ckfeister
Anyone agree? As they already allowed and planned for it, as it would affect their life in long-term if its places such as Cambridge, which is a TOP university worldwide.

We should raise tuition fees for EU students to international rates as soon as possible. If they want to come here, damn they will pay for it those cheap people
Reply 29
Original post by Vesniep
Hmm human rights are not legal rights . I mean we all have the theoretical right to life but in Texas they still have the death penalty and it's fine . Perhaps it's in fact our right to live wherever we want , but who cares about it . Human rights are all theoretical , if a state wants to violate some it's fine . I know my legal right to live wherever I want inside the EU and only the EU ,nowhere else in the world.

You don't have a right to reside in Texas or anywhere else outside the EU (as a Greek citizen).

That's what we are talking about when we are referring to a right (or not) to "live" somewhere.

It's nothing to do with a right to "life"...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Manchester_123
We should raise tuition fees for EU students to international rates as soon as possible. If they want to come here, damn they will pay for it those cheap people

Why?
Original post by jneill
You don't have a right to reside in Texas or anywhere else outside the EU (as a Greek citizen).

That's what we are talking about when we are referring to a right (or not) to "live" somewhere.

It's nothing to do with a right to "life"...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was just an example of how human rights are not universal and they are theoretical .
I didn't confuse these two of course .
Reply 32
Original post by Vesniep
It was just an example of how human rights are not universal and they are theoretical .
I didn't confuse these two of course .

Okay, but then it's not really relevant to your Cambridge opportunity. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Okay, but then it's not really relevant to your Cambridge opportunity. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I just use random things to defend my position , lol.
Guys don't take me that seriously I'm just sad .
Reply 34
Original post by Vesniep
I know I just use random things to defend my position , lol.
Guys don't take me that seriously I'm just sad .

There's no reason to be sad. You are going to Cambridge. Your fee status is unchanged.

Everything is fine.

As someone else said, don't listen to your teachers. They aren't your future; you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I may ask, why is restricting home fees to UK students any worse than just restricting them to EU students? For BOTH situations you are discriminating based upon geography.

But also as others have said there is no reason whatsoever for EU students to be panicking about their fee status, it will remain exactly the same until the UK actually leaves the EU (and even at that point we have absolutely no idea what the UK will look like in relation to the EU).*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Manchester_123

Cheap people ? I mean it's ok to accuse our politicians but not the people who live in the EU .
The deal was 9000 pounds/year with student loans as well.
Most of us spent our last 2 years studying for British exams , we could use that time for other exams.
British unis were appealing to most of us for their academic excellence AND cheap fees .
We are not cheap people just because some of us are poor .
Just say : We only want the rich 'foreigners' not those who have the talent/skills to study there .
Also we had lower fees because of the EU funds which end up in our taxes so again thank you for nothing
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Adrono
I'm an EU student. York and Warwick both emailed me right after Brexit to assure me that my fee status wouldn't change for the whole duration of my course if I enrolled for 2016/2017. And they also said I'd still be eligible for student loans, of course.

We firmed and insured the same universities :smile:
Original post by limetang
If I may ask, why is restricting home fees to UK students any worse than just restricting them to EU students? For BOTH situations you are discriminating based upon geography.*

I know it should have been world-wide I agree with you .
But people react to the EU , do you think they'll like the idea of UN as the only global country/organisation .
We are in a period of division not unification .
Also it's better to give the chance to more people (EU students) to study there than only UK students so it might be a little bit better still not the best.
Reply 39
Original post by Assan
We firmed and insured the same universities :smile:

Hah nice, for which course? Mine is PPE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending