The Student Room Group

Transfer between universities

Hi everyone
my mate want to transfer to other university to do her second and third year but she failed one of her modules at her current university (Bristol) and she faked the failed grade to compensated pass. the university she wants to transfer to made her unconditional offer. Would they check her current university to confirm her result or are they just gonna look at her result transcript and believe it ?
They will almost certainly check with your friend's university, or ask for an official transcript (which will show the failed module). She will get caught and the university will very likely rescind their offer. Your friend was silly to lie.
Original post by Lippo1995
Hi everyone
my mate want to transfer to other university to do her second and third year but she failed one of her modules at her current university (Bristol) and she faked the failed grade to compensated pass. the university she wants to transfer to made her unconditional offer. Would they check her current university to confirm her result or are they just gonna look at her result transcript and believe it ?

I wonder if someone like @returnmigrant or @PQ might care to comment???
http://shop.bris.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?catid=191&modid=1&compid=1

Universities can and will request verification of results directly from other universities. In the case of Bristol they charge £15 to non-universities making this request (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/exams/cert-verif/third-party/ ) but provide it for free to universities (http://shop.bris.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?catid=191&modid=1&compid=1 ) .

Even if the university concerned doesn't want to go through the exams office they can seek confirmation from your friend's referee.

Why your friend thought that fraudulent documents would have less impact on their application than a failed module I don't know. Universities are well aware how often fake certificates are used and will verify the accuracy as a standard matter of course. Especially in your friend's case where they'll need to APL across the previously awarded modules - if they don't verify those credits were achieved then the eventual degree your friend receives would be invalid.
Hi everyone

Can I point out to you (both) that this is fraud and a civil offence.
Would they check her current university to confirm her result or are they just gonna look at her result transcript and believe it ?

Original post by PQ

Why your friend thought that fraudulent documents would have less impact on their application than a failed module I don't know. Universities are well aware how often fake certificates are used and will verify the accuracy as a standard matter of course. Especially in your friend's case where they'll need to APL across the previously awarded modules - if they don't verify those credits were achieved then the eventual degree your friend receives would be invalid.

Original post by returnmigrant
Can I point out to you (both) that this is fraud and a civil offence.

Given that the number of students requesting a transfer out of a university like Bristol must be quite low, it wouldn't surprise me if the new university is informed routinely about the incoming student's transcript. And if not routinely, then perhaps so when a failed module is involved. Or when someone in the university's administration becomes aware of potential fraud.
The receiving University will require a certified transcript directly from Bristol before they would 'adopt' any previous credits and award you any degree based on them. That could get highly embarrassing either at the point you enrol or certainly in your final year. And any other Uni will get highly suspicious of a transfer from Bristol and make their own careful enquiries. Bristol, once aware of one of its own students attempting fraud, would prevent that student re-enrolling to complete their degree there.

UCAS also checks applications - any fraudulent applicants are barred for at least 12 months and any future UCAS application will be so heavily scrutinised you'll wish you had never even thought about this. If you want to make fairly certain that you will never graduate, what you are thinking of will pretty much guarantee it. And a conviction for fraud never looks good on any job application.
(edited 7 years ago)
x

I think you have received some very good advice which you will hopefully pass on to your friend. Note particularly posts 4 and 7, to the effect that when awarding a degree the 'new' university would have to verify credits obtained elsewhere, ie at Bristol, and some of these don't exist because of the failed module - meaning no degree.

In addition, if your friend studies Aerospace Engineering like you, this is a relatively small world so any wrongdoing is more likely to become known.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending